As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Borderlands: Old thread

• Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Analrapist wrote: »
    combhellfire.jpg

This one. This gun is really all you need, even during your second playthrough with three other guys following you. I ripped up all of Old Haven with this thing while my friends were still dying at the first turret.

This gun on soldier class with your fire rate perk all the way up (the one that increases your fire rate with each kill) is bad ass.

metal storm

and I used one like that for a while till I found a new machine gun. no recoil and 200 round drum. woo

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    combhellfire.jpg

This one. This gun is really all you need, even during your second playthrough with three other guys following you. I ripped up all of Old Haven with this thing while my friends were still dying at the first turret.

This gun on soldier class with your fire rate perk all the way up (the one that increases your fire rate with each kill) is bad ass.

Absolutely. I caught a Hellfire almost exactly like this one (although much lower level, like 33-35) right at the end of my first playthrough (Siren), and didn't find anything better all the way up to level 50. The only thing you have to be careful about are the burning psychos and fire elemental skags and spiderants. You can still kill them with the SMG damage, but they don't burn as agreeably as everything else.

There are a few weapon types -- Hellfire, Volcano, Pestilent Defiler -- where once you get a good one it pretty much outclasses everything else for like 15 levels.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    My character is 44 and I've never gotten any of those, or really anything else very good. Yeah, I have some Oranges, hell, I am currently using a Dark Orange combat rifle, but it kinda sucks. It doesn't have any elemental damage on it.

Regarding the story:
    I'm sure this came up in the other thread, but I was really disappointed with the ending. The whole time I was playing I was joking with my friend that we're gonna get to the Vault, and it wasn't gonna be what we thought. My theory was that since it was supposed to be filled with alien crap, the great treasure would be knowledge like in National Treasure. My friend's theory was that it would be a spring or something and a source of water. Of course, both of us were wrong in our theories, but we were correct in the sense that the Vault wasn't what everyone thought it would be.

Kinda lame that the Vault was just a giant tentacle beast. And no phat lewt to speak of.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Sorenson wrote: »
    It is completily without class and is certainely in bad taste, but man there is nothing like sticking gd_weap_combat_shotgun.Barrel.barrel3_Carnage into every possible slot on a rocket launcher.
    ItemCard00009.jpg
    Not pictured is the x6, which shoots two triple helixes and for which I have no idea as to how it came to be. So yes, we're talking almost 150,000 damage a second. Skagzilla at 51? Done in with a single clip.

It's so fucking awesome even the enemy giblets are frozen in awe:
    Y HALLO THAR
    Borderlands-FrozenGibs.jpg
    It takes a real man to carry around a weapon that is basically a firehose nozzle.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    trednistrednis Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Apparently the prize for the gun contest is 3D visualization gear. In the skag areas, I'd end up ducking and weaving in real life as they jumped at me.

trednis on
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    My character is 44 and I've never gotten any of those, or really anything else very good. Yeah, I have some Oranges, hell, I am currently using a Dark Orange combat rifle, but it kinda sucks. It doesn't have any elemental damage on it.

Regarding the story:
    I'm sure this came up in the other thread, but I was really disappointed with the ending. The whole time I was playing I was joking with my friend that we're gonna get to the Vault, and it wasn't gonna be what we thought. My theory was that since it was supposed to be filled with alien crap, the great treasure would be knowledge like in National Treasure. My friend's theory was that it would be a spring or something and a source of water. Of course, both of us were wrong in our theories, but we were correct in the sense that the Vault wasn't what everyone thought it would be.

Kinda lame that the Vault was just a giant tentacle beast. And no phat lewt to speak of.
    About phat end boss loot, this was pretty much my emotional journey there:

Sweet, he dropped loot, this is going to be something cool

The fudge? End credits? What about my loot, bitches?

Oh, I'm back in control. Excellent.

A green smg that's completely rubbish and some money? God dammit, Gearbox.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Grislo wrote: »

Regarding the story:

Yeah.

.....yeah :?

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    Grislo wrote: »

Regarding the story:

Yeah.

.....yeah :?
    My last run (Hunter, Playthrough 2) netted me 2 purples from that fight. A sniper with 800 damage and 98.9 accuracy, and a Double Anarchy with 160 x4 damage and 29 accuracy.

Oh, and a blank Siren Mod. That was weird.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So anything special about alien tech other than it is rechargable and does shock damage? I'm lvl 27 and I found one with the "Lightning never strikes the same place twice, but it can strike freaking everywhere!" thing. I read in the OP that it does: "Area-of-Effect Shock (Alien Rifles)" which I'm not quite sure what that means? Like splash damage? (I know it shoots out probably 5 orbs of light at a time, and the closer you are the more fuck-awesome damage it does).

Also does it count as some specific weapon type for leveling up proficiency?

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    That one is basically a shotgun. There are alien weapons that are similar to shotguns/assault rifles/rocket launchers/whatever, and a few more unique types, like homing shots and whatnot.

Also, for some reason, only some of them actually do shock damage, despite all of them doing 'blue' damage. There are only a few types that are boosted by lightning enhancing class mods.

The shotgun one you found is the only decent one of the bunch, in my opinion.

If you find two of those of the same level, they'll have identical looking stats, but there can be some variation in things like 'clip size' and whatnot.

They do have their own category for levels, Eridian weapons. It's the one at the bottom.

Grislo on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    jack eddy wrote: »
    So anything special about alien tech other than it is rechargable and does shock damage? I'm lvl 27 and I found one with the "Lightning never strikes the same place twice, but it can strike freaking everywhere!" thing. I read in the OP that it does: "Area-of-Effect Shock (Alien Rifles)" which I'm not quite sure what that means? Like splash damage? (I know it shoots out probably 5 orbs of light at a time, and the closer you are the more fuck-awesome damage it does).

Also does it count as some specific weapon type for leveling up proficiency?
    Eridian Weapons have their own proficiency.

That specific weapon is a shotgun analog.

Does anyone know what the benefits for leveling up Eridian proficiency are? Recharge speed, projectile speed and such would potentially make them useful.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited November 2009
    You do get enhanced recharge speed as one of the perks.

Some people claim that skills won't work with Eridian weapons at all, some claim that only some skills won't work (like, the shots might not count as 'bullets') whereas others claim that skills do work, and that Lilith is a good Eridian user because she gains a boost in bullet velocity.

She also gets a shock damage class mod, but that doesn't always work, or never works, depending on who you ask. I know that a few of the weapons weren't boosted when I tried it out.

Grislo on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've been lugging some Eridian weapons around, but I haven't used them. I know I should sell them, because they just take up space and never get slotted. I just have a hard time selling anything with red text.

Drake on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Eridian proficiency gives recharge speed, damage and accuracy. I have one of the homing rifles, and it's actually not terrible. Part of the reason we all think they're awful is that by the time you think about using them your main weapon choice is around 20. A weapon type with a level 20 proficiency modifier is about twice as good as it would be. With eridian proficiency around 10 I can fire little homing balls of death almost without stopping. The disadvantage is that they home AWAY from critical spots.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Eridian proficiency gives recharge speed, damage and accuracy. I have one of the homing rifles, and it's actually not terrible. Part of the reason we all think they're awful is that by the time you think about using them your main weapon choice is around 20. A weapon type with a level 20 proficiency modifier is about twice as good as it would be. With eridian proficiency around 10 I can fire little homing balls of death almost without stopping. The disadvantage is that they home AWAY from critical spots.

I have one of those and love it.

I just hide behind cover, point it upwards, and hold the trigger.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I found a Crimson Stinger purple SMG for my soldier. It's not quite as good as a Double Anarchy, but it's pretty close. If it had elemental effects I wouldn't ever need another gun, and I'm still on my first play through. I did find a Double Anarchy last night and got so excited until I noticed that it had an accuracy of 20. :( I tried it anyways and I had a single point in Metal Storm just for giggles. The thing sprayed bullets like a fire hose! It went through an entire clip in just over a second. The spread was so awful that standing 20 feet from a wall resulted in a spread pattern about 8 feet wide. It was actually quite funny to watch even though I could only kill stuff at point blank range.

So I just got the quest to go to Old Haven, and I still have a lot of side quests to finish yet, and I'm already level 31! Is this typical? I hear of people finishing the main quest line around level 35, and I'm pretty sure I'll be way past that if I continue to do all the side quests.

El Guaco on
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    El Guaco wrote: »
    I found a Crimson Stinger purple SMG for my soldier. It's not quite as good as a Double Anarchy, but it's pretty close. If it had elemental effects I wouldn't ever need another gun, and I'm still on my first play through. I did find a Double Anarchy last night and got so excited until I noticed that it had an accuracy of 20. :( I tried it anyways and I had a single point in Metal Storm just for giggles. The thing sprayed bullets like a fire hose! It went through an entire clip in just over a second. The spread was so awful that standing 20 feet from a wall resulted in a spread pattern about 8 feet wide. It was actually quite funny to watch even though I could only kill stuff at point blank range.

So I just got the quest to go to Old Haven, and I still have a lot of side quests to finish yet, and I'm already level 31! Is this typical? I hear of people finishing the main quest line around level 35, and I'm pretty sure I'll be way past that if I continue to do all the side quests.

Nah, that's about right.

It really isn't possible to get much more than level 37 in the first playthrough, unless you like killing a couple thousand enemies for 1xp each.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Three box runs, three oranges. Not bad.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    fsmith1fsmith1 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I just found an upgraded Combustion HellFire on my Siren (44), but the most exciting thing is the 82 clip size double anarchy (I think it's 142x4) that I can use at 47.

I don't know why, but I love running right up to baddies and ruining their shit with an SMG shotgun.

fsmith1 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    gjaustin wrote: »
    El Guaco wrote: »

Nah, that's about right.

It really isn't possible to get much more than level 37 in the first playthrough, unless you like killing a couple thousand enemies for 1xp each.

Yep, this is right. Exp. for enemies drops dramatically if you are even a couple of levels above them.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    fsmith1 wrote: »
    I don't know why, but I love running right up to baddies and ruining their shit with an SMG shotgun.
    I don't think the reason is as mysterious as you're making it out to be.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    thepizzaelementalthepizzaelemental Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Regarding the story:

The Vault wasn't a giant tentacle beast, but a dimensional prison for a giant tentacle beast. Somehow the Eridians managed to find or awaken a cosmic horror and sealed it away in the Vault, then left their Guardians behind to make sure nobody ever got stupid and tried to open it. Which, apparently, somebody did. Fortunately, the Guardian Angel had been watching and was able to figure out just what was going to happen, and lured the heroes to the Vault in order to avert the disaster.

There have been better stories in scifi games, for sure, but I rather liked this one. But I'm a bit of a fan of the Call of Cthulhu, so your mileage may vary.

thepizzaelemental on
    MH3: B77AE9 - Natou
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    +2 Rare item find is proving to be pretty goddamn awesome.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited November 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »

How exactly does that modifier work? Does it boost your loots from chests as well?

thepizzaelemental on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

How exactly does that modifier work? Does it boost your loots from chests as well?

We wondered this too. Then you could just use a good mod, and swap to the item find when you open a chest.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited November 2009

It seems to.

+X Scavenge Item seems to make more stuff drop from enemies, +X rare Item Find seems to improve the quality from enemies or chests.

Edit: Just picked up an electric rocket shotgun. Now I have the mental image of my Brick using the taser rounds from Heroes.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited November 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

We wondered this too. Then you could just use a good mod, and swap to the item find when you open a chest.

Maybe. The chests do appear to generate their loot at the moment they're activated.

thepizzaelemental on
  • Options
    ArdentMarauderArdentMarauder Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So... I've now beaten Playthrough 2 with both a Hunter and a Siren. Is there any more of an "endgame", or am I just going to max the other 2 characters (both already done with Playthrough 1) and be kinda done.

ArdentMarauder on
  • Options
    BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So... I've now beaten Playthrough 2 with both a Hunter and a Siren. Is there any more of an "endgame", or am I just going to max the other 2 characters (both already done with Playthrough 1) and be kinda done.

You are going to max the other characters and then hope dlc with a new level cap or something else to get you interested in the game again comes along.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Barrabas wrote: »

You are going to max the other characters and then hope dlc with a new level cap or something else to get you interested in the game again comes along.

I would argue that's getting your money's worth out of the game. I've already got 20+ hours in and I have 1 level 27. If I get even 40 hours of this thing only, I'll be happy. In fact, I'd say the purchase has already been worth it, everything else is just icing.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

I would argue that's getting your money's worth out of the game. I've already got 20+ hours in and I have 1 level 27. If I get even 40 hours of this thing only, I'll be happy. In fact, I'd say the purchase has already been worth it, everything else is just icing.

I never said it wasn't. It's a fantastic game and worth every penny. But still, once you have all your characters maxed out (i.e. played through the game at least 8 times), there's really nothing left to do. That's just a fact, it has nothing to do with whether or not you got your money out of it.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    VrayVray Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Recently found a 467 dmg 4.9 fire rate full-auto sniper rifle. Carrion call just got a little more appealing.

Vray on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

I never said it wasn't. It's a fantastic game and worth every penny. But still, once you have all your characters maxed out (i.e. played through the game at least 8 times), there's really nothing left to do. That's just a fact, it has nothing to do with whether or not you got your money out of it.

Well at that point you hook up with your friends who are also level 50 and fight out some of the real fun places. Like lost caves alpha skag fuck fest.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Anybody who is looking for gear at level 48 or above, I can probably hook you up.

All the lootfind mods on my hunter have resulted in an inventory that is literally choked with Oranges and Purples.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

Well, once you do all that you can do on any game, there's nothing left to do anyway.

unless it's shit like running Boss runs hundreds of times for a drop, or those completely ridiculous grindfests like Disgaea.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2009
    So we're under a week from DLC release. Any PC date yet?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    So we're under a week from DLC release. Any PC date yet?

The only thing I've seen for PC DLC date is "sometime later".

Peewi on
  • Options
    Inter_dInter_d Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Iolo wrote: »
    Inter_d wrote: »
    Any PA'ers wanna group up with my little 19 berserker? I try random live matches but those usually end up as mad grabs for guns and silence to people speaking a form of english i've never heard of.

XBox or PC? I've got characters around that level and would be happy to coop if we overlap playtimes. I'll probably be on tonight after 8 Eastern.

Sorenson that screenshot is ridiculous. I added your monstrosity to the rapidly growing gun-modding section in OP part 2.

on xbox, and i'm usually on in the evenings around 6pm to 2am central.

Inter_d on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Iolo wrote: »
    Any PA'ers wanna group up with my little 19 berserker? I try random live matches but those usually end up as mad grabs for guns and silence to people speaking a form of english i've never heard of.

XBox or PC? I've got characters around that level and would be happy to coop if we overlap playtimes. I'll probably be on tonight after 8 Eastern.

Sorenson that screenshot is ridiculous. I added your monstrosity to the rapidly growing gun-modding section in OP part 2.

on xbox, and i'm usually on in the evenings around 6pm to 2am central.

Cool. I've got an 18 Hunter keen to co-op. Shoot me an invite.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    KasanagiKasanagi Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wren wrote: »
    combhellfire.jpg

metal storm

and I used one like that for a while till I found a new machine gun. no recoil and 200 round drum. woo

Pretty much every character I've leveled has at some point found a Hellfire SMG, Firehawk Pistol (same insane fire damage, but on a repeater), and a Volcano Sniper Rifle (again with the same fire damage).

They're just about unstoppable against everything except guardians (fire is no good against shields) and of course badass/badmutha fire critters. For them of course you have 3 other weapon slots to fill with options.
    wusoldjr wrote: »
    I played with a gun modder yesterday, and it was completely not-fun. He ran ahead of the 3 of us the whole time decimating every thing. I'm sure he was having a great time, but the rest of us didn't get to kill anything. I had to leave after 15mins or so. I asked him if he thought his gun was breaking the game, killing the fun. He didn't think so. I couldn't deal and I had to find another lobby.

Was he the same or of a similar level to you? I've only done public games like once or twice, but I had a 50 show up when I was playing my level 25-at-the-time siren and he just went around one-shotting everything, ruining any sort of challenge I might've had. I'm sure he thought he was doing me a favor, but at least ASK if someone wants that kind of help. It's boring as hell if there's not even a fight, let alone a challenge.

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.