As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Console video capture equipment

SkyEyeSkyEye Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm interested in a new hobby, and A/V sounds interesting to me right now. I'm new to the experience, so I could use some advice on video game console A/V capture equipment and video editing software. Anyone know where I can start?

Steam: Autumn_Thunder - SC2: AutumnThundr.563 (NA) - Hearthstone: AutumnThundr.1383

SkyEye on

• FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Fantasma on
    Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hello again,

I used to record live games such as UT2k4 and Battlefield 2, including Painkiller from my computer to VHS, the quality was not great, but I could record hours.

In order to obtain better quality, and have the ability to edit, cut and add music, I decided to built a second computer only for recording and editing, finally burning the final game movie to a DVD complaint disc.

The hardware in question was very simple:

Custom built computer with a 160 gigabytes hard disk, motherboard with onboard video and audio, DVD burner, PCI TV capture card with S-Video In, Audio In and Composite.

I just connected an S-Video cable from my gaming computer using the video card TV out function enabled into the S-Video in socket of the TV capture card of the recording machine, and using virtualdub or ChrisTV recorded to mpeg or avi.

I guess that the same principle could be used in your particular case.

Fantasma on
    Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!