As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Upgraded to W7, Can't Connect to SQL Server

supertallsupertall Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Like the title says, I upgraded recently to Windows 7. Now when I try to connect to my local server '.' using SQL Server 2005 Management Studio I get an login failed message and this:

Server Name: .
Error Number: 18456
Severity: 14
State: 1
Line Number: 65536

I'm using Windows Authentication. I'm not able to connect to my 2005 databases, but I can connect to the SQLExpress server I had installed before that.

supertall on

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    http://blogs.msdn.com/sql_protocols/archive/2006/02/21/536201.aspx
    In particular, the 'State' will always be shown to be '1' regardless of the nature of the problem. To determine the true reason for the failure, the administrator can look in the server's error log where a corresponding entry will be written.

The key to the message is the 'State' which the server will accurately set to reflect the source of the problem.

Start there.

Your client always reports State 1 but if you check the server log you'll see the actual state code. That site has a table for what the codes mean.

Jasconius on
  • supertallsupertall Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I checked the logs, and the state is 11, meaning "Valid login but server access failure". Poking around, it seems like it might have something to do with sharing, or enabling "server" under Windows Features.

supertall on
  • yurnamehereyurnamehere Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Is just dot a valid SQL server name? The ones we use at work have an instance name, so we connect to .\SomeName.

yurnamehere on
  • PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    SQL running SP3 yet?

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes