As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Recommend] Old School Dungeon Crawl

2»

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Have you played the DS game Etrian Odyssey or its sequel yet? They're old school dungeon crawlers filled with enemies that can rape you if you aren't careful, plenty of grinding and exploration, and a map on the bottom screen that you have to draw yourself.

Also, you might want to consider tracking down copies of the old Sierra games Shadows of Yserbius and Fates of Twinion, they're designed as online multiplayer games but you can go through them offline by yourself as well. They have an interesting attitude towards death, since they're designed as MMORPGs of sorts all death does is knock you out of the dungeon without penalty. At the same time, it's incredibly easy to die. Exploration consists of entering the dungeon, poking around until you stumble across something that kills you, and then coming back in more aware of the dungeon layout and what to avoid.

jothki on
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Pastee wrote: »
    Wow, I can actually help here.

Ultima Underworld II - (Underworld I is just as fun, but visually 2 fills up the screen more)

Planetfall - (This Infocom game has problably the best sidekick ever. Floyd the Robot)

Any of the "Phantasie" series - (yes, this is really old school)

Legacy of the Ancients - This was an evolution to "Questron" an Ultima rip. Excellent game though.

Wizardry 7 - (Yes, Wizardry 8 is awesome, and looks awesome. Wizardry 7 had a better story, and more crawling.)

Wizard's Crown - This is an insanely complicated role-playing game from SSI for the old 8 bit systems. Prepare to invest some time in this one. "Eternal Dagger" is the second in the series.

Gold Box D&D Series - These will always be awesome crawlers.

Ultima III - Still the best (Yes I'm old, bugger off)

Bard's Tale II - Best out of that series.

Alternate Reality: The Dungeon - The City was good, but this was so much better I would start here.

Wasteland - Just because I had to add it.

Wow that might have been my first PC game ever. I second Wasteland although you need the book with the code entries. Darklands was a nice open ended one as well.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Torchlight. Really. Give the demo a try and then tell me you don't want to marry it.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Eye of the Beholder I, II, and III.

Someone already said Dungeon Hack! <3
    Also if you can find it, Unlimited Adventures to a lesser extent.

Those old SSI games were the shit. I'm glad I still have mine.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    TechRatTechRat Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    citizen059 wrote: »
    maybecca wrote: »
    Might & Magic. I've always heard World of Xeen (the 4th and 5th games combined) is the best, but hey, GOG are selling the first six games for $10. They have some other neat RPGs as well.

TechRat, I played Orcs & Elves on my phone - is the DS version any good? If it's the same thing again, meh, but does the DS version add anything significant? Like some gameplay?

There's not much difference.

I really enjoyed O&E on the DS, but I'll admit - after a single playthrough it got traded in @ Gamestop. I didn't really feel the need to play it again, ever.

That may be true, but it currently goes for only $6 used so it's definitely worth it even for just one playthrough.

Also, if you're a homebrewin' man, try Powder (DS), a really good Nethack-style game.

TechRat on
  • Options
    SinWithSebastianSinWithSebastian Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Malkor wrote: »
    Eye of the Beholder I, II, and III.

I and II are great, the third one...Not so much

SinWithSebastian on
  • Options
    Weenog42Weenog42 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    How do you feel about ASCII? There's always the entire panoply of rogue-like games: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue-like_games

Weenog42 on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Jubeh wrote: »
    Also I am tired of roguelikes, and have played way too many of them.

Glal on
  • Options
    SamuelsonSamuelson Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hmm, I went and downloaded Daggerfall, got it running fine on Dosbox, but after the intro cinematic I get the error:

Daggerfall has encountered and internal error at 0
    The error reported was: File CUSTAA30.RMB not found in blocks.bsa

Grrr ... Google doesn't even come up with 1 instance of that error on THE ENTIRE internet, anyone know what is going on?

Samuelson on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Samuelson wrote: »
    Hmm, I went and downloaded Daggerfall, got it running fine on Dosbox, but after the intro cinematic I get the error:

Daggerfall has encountered and internal error at 0
    The error reported was: File CUSTAA30.RMB not found in blocks.bsa

Grrr ... Google doesn't even come up with 1 instance of that error on THE ENTIRE internet, anyone know what is going on?

Did you get it directly from Bethesda or from some wacky torrent site? Sounds like a corrupted archive file.

zilo on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Or it could be a botched Dosbox setup, supposedly Daggerfall is an absolute pain to get working sometimes, though I never had many problems with it.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Or it could be a botched Dosbox setup, supposedly Daggerfall is an absolute pain to get working sometimes, though I never had many problems with it.

If you follow the enclosed directions it should work fine; did for me anyway.

My problem was using the mouse for attacks. Since I was playing on a laptop with only a touchpad...err, yeah. Didn't work out so good.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Echo wrote: »
    zilo wrote: »
    Dungeon Hack. It can be hard to track down but it has procedurally-generated dungeons and it's old enough to run on anything.

I loved this game to death.

Now what was that other crawler I played called... Lands of Lore! Same crawler style, but more story. The CD version had Patrick Stewart doing some voicework.

Lands_of_lore_panels.png

Also: Wizardry 8.

Lands of Lore is a seriously good time. But fuck insects. I spent like 45 minutes chopping them up in one of the early dungeons D:

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land [PS2].

Not just a great dungeon crawl, but a great game period.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql5mDTw4RTc

It's not easy to find, but not expensive either. It's worth the effort.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SamuelsonSamuelson Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Thanks for the help, I got Daggerfall working again by reinstalling twice :P

Samuelson on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Echo wrote: »
    zilo wrote: »
    Dungeon Hack. It can be hard to track down but it has procedurally-generated dungeons and it's old enough to run on anything.

I loved this game to death.

Now what was that other crawler I played called... Lands of Lore! Same crawler style, but more story. The CD version had Patrick Stewart doing some voicework.
    Lands_of_lore_panels.png

Also: Wizardry 8.

Lands of Lore is a seriously good time. But fuck insects. I spent like 45 minutes chopping them up in one of the early dungeons D:

Yeah Lands of Lore was seriously awesome, sort of a more sophisticated, story-driven Eye of the Beholder. I wish I could find a copy today but I don't think there have been many (any?) re-releases of the old Westwood catalog in a long, long time.

zilo on
  • Options
    BeenieWeenieBeenieWeenie So Delicious So NutritiousRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Samuelson wrote: »
    Thanks for the help, I got Daggerfall working again by reinstalling twice :P

Be prepared; if you haven't played it before, Daggerfall has a lot of bugs. Like... a whole bunch.

Save often and you should (might) be okay.

BeenieWeenie on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    And make sure you go into z.cfg and add cheatmode 1 at the bottom so you can zip around important areas of a dungeon with [ and ] in case the quest mcguffen gets spawned in a doorless room, not to mention certain other options which may or may not be useful to you.

And if you're the type who hates being unable to repair your magical shit, throw magicrepair 1 in there as well so you can put magical repair enchantments on your stuff.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    JubehJubeh Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Sorry for the stupidly late response. My power supply went out or something.

I've got torchlight. It is good, no doubt. I've got Shiren and Izuna as well. Also I just slayed the fuck out of dragon age but it wasn't so crawly. Game was great though. Started playing Planetfall as well, and it seems pretty cool

Lands of Lore looks awesome though. Where exactly do you get older games like these? I'm not really a pc guy. I will grab the wizardry games as well.

Jubeh on
  • Options
    OlderBytesOlderBytes Paris, FranceRegistered User new member
    There's also the Swords and Sorcery series by OlderBytes (that is me, and I am biaised!). Underworld is currently playable but undergoing yet another upgrade using the new engine built for the sequel. There's a playable version though.