As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Dark [Thunderbolting] Avengers: Hoping the Next Leap is the Leap Back Home

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I voted for Shocker, just because Batroc was a Cap villain and we already had one on the team with Crossbones.

Some of the names were ridiculous though, Dark Beast? Living Laser? I would like Madame Masque to be on the team for an issue only for Karla to give her a mental breakdown.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I like the idea of both the Shocker and Absorbing Man to be members.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dark Beast is fantastic

I love him so much

But no more Shocker: Legit references

no one bring it up

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So I just got the old Thunderbolts: Justice, Like Lightning... TPB that chronicles the 'Bolts debut. What would you gents recommend for my next TPB purchases? I love these guys, or at least I think I love the idea of them, but their lineup seems to have gone through so many changes it's a bit of a chore to even figure out who the hell is even going to be in some of the books I look at on Amazon. Right now I'm thinking the Avengers/Thunderbolts series or maybe the trades from the Warren Ellis run?

Gaslight on
  • Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Gaslight wrote: »
    So I just got the old Thunderbolts: Justice, Like Lightning... TPB that chronicles the 'Bolts debut. What would you gents recommend for my next TPB purchases? I love these guys, or at least I think I love the idea of them, but their lineup seems to have gone through so many changes it's a bit of a chore to even figure out who the hell is even going to be in some of the books I look at on Amazon. Right now I'm thinking the Avengers/Thunderbolts series or maybe the trades from the Warren Ellis run?

Avengers/Thunderbolts. It's much more in line with the first volume.

MastaP on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    MastaP wrote: »

Avengers/Thunderbolts. It's much more in line with the first volume.

I'm not necessarily looking for something that's like J:LL. I like it but I can tell it's to some degree a product of its era. The first Thunderbolts stuff I read was actually some of their Civil War installments so I'm accustomed to a more "modern" take on the series.

The Avengers/Thunderbolts books are still probably where I'll go next, though, although of course they're a little harder to acquire...

Gaslight on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I also went with Sandman. As much as I like Shocker, he'd get overshadowed by the rest of the team.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Now that I think about it, I should've gone with my write-in candidate: Armadillo.

He also has that whole bad-guy-turned-good-guy-turned-bad-guy thing going on. And he's a former pro wrestler, which is just great.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    When did he turn bad again? He should still be protecting Texas from El Guapo's incursions.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    MODOK's 11. I don't remember if it went into why he got kicked off the team, but it opens with him doing some kind of metahuman pro-wrestling for chump change, and concluded with him getting away with a shitload of money.

But I'm pretty sure I saw him in the Thunderbolts prison, so apparently he got arrested again.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Oh, so that was him getting the prison physical (it sure looked like something went splat all in the walls afterwards) back in the first issue or so.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    He was also in the Hood's gang and most recently got talked down out of a fight by She-Hulk in Incredible Hulks

Furu on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Didn't Nightshade turn up recently in the Shadowland: Power Man series, too?

I really want to see what all the MODOK's 11 people did with their $10,250,000. You'd think that'd set a dude like Armadillo up for a while.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    Didn't Nightshade turn up recently in the Shadowland: Power Man series, too?

I really want to see what all the MODOK's 11 people did with their $10,250,000. You'd think that'd set a dude like Armadillo up for a while.

She was the main antagonist (other than the three angry Hand ninjas) and from her escape will probably be in Power Man and Iron Fist. Looks like she spent her money on making new tech stuff.

Furu on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Armadillo is at his best when he's handcuffed to Tigershark and drawn by Skottie Young. <3 New Warriors.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Everything is best when drawn by skottie young

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    spectatorspectator Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    Personally, I voted for Sandman. I always liked the fact that character had once earned redemption, even serving as an Avenger, and it always pissed me off that he was turned villainous again, without much explanation.
    wasn't he brainwashed into becoming his old self again. yes it was a stupid idea because i've always liked how sandman found redemption.

spectator on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Yes but he's started getting better again.

Furu on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Seriously, hunt Constrictor down and make him a Thunderbolt

I love that dude

Antimatter on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Antimatter wrote: »
    Seriously, hunt Constrictor down and make him a Thunderbolt

I love that dude

Him and Diamondback were a great part of the Initiative

Get them in together and that would be great

Solar on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Guys, does anybody know what this new Thunderbolts Classic Vol. 1 that's coming out is exactly?

I mean obviously it seems to be a TPB of 'bolts issues from their initial run but does anybody know what's going to be included in it? I hope it's not basically just a reprint of Justice, Like Lightning.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Guys, does anybody know what this new Thunderbolts Classic Vol. 1 that's coming out is exactly?

I mean obviously it seems to be a TPB of 'bolts issues from their initial run but does anybody know what's going to be included in it? I hope it's not basically just a reprint of Justice, Like Lightning.

Going by the names in the Amazon listing it might have all the stuff that was in the first Thunderbolts TPB that Marvel never bothered to follow up with that you mentioned (Justice Like Lightning):
    Collects Incredible Hulk (Vol. 1) #449, Tales of the Marvel Universe (1997), Spider-Man Team-Up (1995) #7, Thunderbolts (1997 Marvel) #1-4, and Thunderbolts Annual (1997)

But at 296 pages, they might even include Thunderbolts #6-10 at that page count, since that was when a nice break occurs for the series.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Much as I've liked all the Thunderbolts stuff I've read so far, I would be a little loath to buy this if 50% of it or more is in a book I already own. But hey, it says Volume 1, so we can hope that means there will be follow-ups with more stuff that's been OOP, right?

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, they might even throw in Thunderbolts -1 to boot. They did it with the recently published Ka-Zar TPB.

The nice thing is if they maybe put all this other stuff together in the first volume, after that it's kind of smooth sailing for the rest of the run, only crossing over with the Avengers twice during that time (and I think those issues were collected in the Avengers Assemble hardcovers).

edit: though if they continue with the trade volumes then that means they might have paid off or reached a deal with regards to the character Charcoal, who was part of the team as a part of a Wizard contest.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    fun fact: if you mention charcoal to tom brevoort he will literally dismember you

Furu on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Furu wrote: »
    fun fact: if you mention charcoal to tom brevoort he will literally dismember you
    I was actually surprised to see him pop up in the little Thunderbolts history piece, in issue #150.

Also, Declan Shalvey's said that he's doing another stint on Thunderbolts. If Walker and Shalvey stay in permanent rotation on the book, I'll be pretty happy with that.

Thunderbolts has really become my favorite thing Marvel's putting out, in a really short period of time. I can't wait to see what Parker does with Hyperion. The dude seems too powerful to be on the team long-term.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Parker talks Thunderbolts, Hulk, and his upcoming Bucko webcomic.

-The expanded roster will definitely include Mr. Hyde, as he's a favorite of Parker's. The poll results surprised him, but he's still going to follow through with who fans voted for.

-As the team expands, the book will be going to a more-than-monthly format, with Declan Shalvey alternating with Kev Walker. Both are expected to remain on the book for the foreseeable future. Parker cites the Bagley/Bendis shipping schedule for Ultimate Spider-Man, as the kind of template they're working off of.

Today's issue was pretty good, but it again ends with pretty much everyone on the team incapacitated. Which I'm fairly certain is what's happened at the start of every arc Parker's done. I understand the need to imperil the heroes, and create tension, but at this point it's a bit like the JLA all being unconscious on the cover of their book. We know it's coming, so there's no impact. The last page was a cool reveal though, as we discover exactly which Hyperion the Thunderbolts have on their team.

And there are giant monsters, which I'm always a fan of.

Munch on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Who won that poll? I can't download .mp3 files.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I think Shocker ultimately took the top spot.

Munch on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hahaha yess

Wildcat on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Shocker's costume is amazing, and he can use the character work Parker will provide. Good news!

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    True about the character design - I couldn't tell you anything about the Shocker besides he's a Spider-Man villain who wears a quilt and his gloves always break right before he's about to beat Spider-Man. His real name might be Hobie?

Hensler on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've loved the Shocker ever since he appeared on the 90's Spider-Man cartoon. He was bad ass there.

Then I learned he was just a joke in 616 :(

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    FUCK YES SHOCKER

Antimatter on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    After reading the book I found it to be a vaguely mixed bag. On the one hand: Kaiju=totally awesome. on the other hand: hyperion, one of the most annoyingly OP characters around. The fact that they chose him to replace crossbones is particularly baffling to me, since their respective archetypes aren't anything like each other.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Hyperion worked in the issue, I thought, and it looks like he won't really stay around for long. I also enjoyed the Juggernaut runway Melissa made. Good issue, and a nice use of an editor's box, that's the way they are supposed to be used.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Hyperion, the silver age superman parody, overpowered?

why I never

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    TLB Hyperion calls Man-Thing a snot pile. What happens now?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    HE MUST DIE

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    HE MUST BURN AT THE MAN-THING'S TOUCH

The Lovely Bastard on