As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stopping Norton Security before it starts on a package PC

The LandoStanderThe LandoStander Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I just finished setting up my mother's new HP computer with Windows 7 Home Premium. Everything is going just fine except for the fact that the PC came pre-loaded with Norton's Antivirus/Security or whatever they like to call it now. I don't like the program and in the past my mother has had issues with it as well and is wary of the currently un-activated Norton being activated by mistake or something along those lines, at which point it becomes a true pain to get rid of.

I've never dealt with Windows 7 before now and I don't know that I want to trust just the standard Add/Remove programs option with getting every last scrap of Nortons off of the PC, I've tried similar things in the past with other systems and all it seemed to do was make Nortons or what was left of it more problematic and the PC more erratic in its reliability.

So the question is where do I go from here? I could just leave it alone and hope that Nortons isn't activated by mistake but I'd prefer that it simply not be around on the PC at all but I know that an improperly or partially removed Nortons causes quite a bit of trouble and would of course like to avoid that.

Maybe someday, they'll see a hero's just a man. Who knows he's free.
The LandoStander on

• Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well, you could try running the official Norton Removal Tool. Personally I'd just hit up Add/Remove Programs and not worry about it, but it's your call.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png