As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Kitty pink eye?

spacerobotspacerobot Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I have a kitten who is about 10 or 11 weeks old. This morning I noticed that the skin around his right eye is slightly pink. Later I noticed he was squinting with that eye. Just now he woke up and that eye was completely closed. he then started pawing at it/ cleaning it.

Is this kitty pink eye? Is this really really bad?

He hasn't lost any energy (he has too much energy. he's making it hard to type this without him attacking the keyboard) . And after playing for a minute his eye is open now. This picture was taken just a minute ago.

4126284265_a336abbf22_b.jpg

test.jpg
spacerobot on

• Options
    CimmeriiCimmerii SpaceOperaGhost Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Is there more discharge then normal from this eye? Is there more discharge then normal from both eyes or nose?

What a cutie :) I'm presuming he normally has different colored eyes?

Cimmerii on
    *Internally Screaming*
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    There is maybe a tiny bit more discharge from that eye. He's only been with me for 2 weeks now, and I don't examine his eye discharge every day, so I may not be accurate in my estimate. There is not an excessive amount of ooze from his eye or the eye i'm worried about. I can't really say if there is more from his nose or not.

And yes, his one eye is always blue, and the other is always green.

spacerobot on
    test.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Gently clean his face with a warm damp cloth, especially his eyelids and nose. He either irritated it by getting something in it or rubbing it too much, or it's some sort of infection. If it doesn't clear up today, then I'd take him to the vet, who will probably give you either eye drops or ointment for him.

Cimmerii on
    *Internally Screaming*
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Does the cat ever sleep on a heat vent? They can get dust in their eyes that way. Found that out about two years ago when my mother spent about two grand at a vet who couldn't tell the difference between an infection and a little dust in the eye.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    phoxphyrephoxphyre Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wow!! He's *stunning*

That blue eye does look to be inflamed compared to the green. Look at the colour of the eye lid.

Do you have other cats? The reason I ask is because infections can "jump" between cats. If one gets something, it's usually better to take that cat in asap (and hope cat #2 can hold out through the initial medication/"getting it under control" phase!)

I would suggest making a vet appointment for tomorrow, and if his eye clears up by then -- cancel. Otherwise get the horrid ointment (and a towel). Wrapping cats is an art -- but you'll get there eventually.

Side note: Eye infections can do damage if left to long! So a vet is always a good idea.

phoxphyre on
    Remember the Slug; They have all the disadvantages of Snails, but without the benefit of home-ownership...
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    could just be the herp. my one cat is super sensitve to it and if he is stressed he gets pirate eye

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    the pinkness has cleared up a little bit. Thanks for the tips everyone! It's still not back to normal yet though. If I do take him to the vet, I won't be able to take him until later this week (I'm in the peace corps, and there is only one practicing vet on my island and he's only open two days a week). I don't have any other cats, so I don't have to worry about it spreading.

I haven't been exactly diligent in cleaning his litter box. Locals on this island don't really keep pets the same way Americans do, so finding proper cleaning supplies has been difficult. I refreshed the litter last night and that seems to have maybe helped a bit.

spacerobot on
    test.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Glad to hear he is doing better.
    We need another picture.

:)

Cimmerii on
    *Internally Screaming*
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This happens to my (well, now my parents) cat every so often. We just use a warm cloth to get all the junk out by patting the area a bit and then he's good like a day later.

Also, your cat looks mildly psychotic. I like it!

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Yes, he is mildly psychotic. But then again I think all kittens are.
    Here's another picture of him, his first day with me.
    His name is Richard Parker
    4098973679_2322b80c48_b.jpg

spacerobot on
    test.jpg
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Looks like he is just about ready to grab the camera and OM NOM NOM the lens.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What a gorgeous cat.

admanb on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Richard Parker is terribly adorable :3

All cats have some form of psychosis. Mine is convinced that he can phase through a door if he's traveling fast enough.

Cimmerii on
    *Internally Screaming*
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    mine decided this morning he would try and swallow the entire pull cord on the kitchen blinds

mts on
    camo_sig.png