Options

The responsibility of parents

OrganichuOrganichu poopspeesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited November 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
I thought about it for a few minutes and couldn't develop a more accurate title. If anyone can suggest a title that encapsulates the thread without being overly wordy, I'd be happy to edit it.

As an Israeli I've been primed my entire life with stories of the Holocaust- its historical import, its relevance today, and more particularly the heroes of the era. There's something particularly relatable about an everyman doing something valiant- hiding Jews, and saving them. Almost every museum dedicated to a major persecution- the Holocaust, slavery in America, the genocide in Rwanda- possesses an exhibit showcasing an ordinary person doing extraordinary things... from those who orchestrated stops along the underground railroad, to Oskar Schindler, to Paul Rusesabagina, etc.

I guess these thoughts have led me to consider what I would do. I'm a 22 year old guy and I don't have any children. I don't live with my girlfriend. Ostensibly I have no 'major' charges to consider. So, given immersion in a terribly hostile environment, I like to think that I would endure a certain measure of personal risk to relieve others of persecution. I'll likely never have the chance to put that theory to the test, but it's something I think is true. What if my situation were different, though?

What if I had a wife and children?

What if I couldn't discuss it with a partner- what if I were a single father?

What if I cared for a relative too old or gone towards Alzheimer's to discuss the issue?

To what extent are we permitted, morally, to exercise our sense of morality to the potential (physical) detriment of others?

If I live in Poland in 1943 and my wife and I decide that we are willing to shelter Jews, despite the potential consequences for us and our three year old twins... is that unethical of us?

Organichu on

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It would never be unethical for you to attempt to save other people OR to attempt to keep your children safe.

It might be stupid depending on the likelyhood of being caught.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Anyone who thinks that there is a single easy answert to this one is an idiot

Honestly, as Incenjucar was getting at, it is a matter of circumstance every time. The inclination to save others and the inclination to protect one's own children/family are BOTH good and positive inclinations, both from a perspective of societal good, AND from the perspective or pretty much every morality system in existance. It is the interactions between these two inclinations and the various probablities and risks of an individual situation which would decide what is the "ethical" direction in said situation. Addition, with these incredibly difficult scenarios, there isn't always a right and wrong answer, and there doesn't have to be.

Evander on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Organichu wrote: »
    If I live in Poland in 1943 and my wife and I decide that we are willing to shelter Jews, despite the potential consequences for us and our three year old twins... is that unethical of us?

Yes.

Parents have an ethical responsibility to avoid putting their children in harm's way. I see this as overriding any possible ethical responsibility one stranger has towards another (if in fact that responsibility exists at all in a given situation, which is entirely circumstantial).

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Sooo beginning of Inglorious Basterds, at that point, there isn't really anything else you can do. They are going to find and kill them, this isn't the choice between you saving them or not, it's the choice between you saving your family or not.

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I can see a problem with this kind of question.

The problem is, are we able to always act ethically?

Are there some (many? any? all?) situations where there is no ethical choice?

Some people would say there's always a right thing to do - you have to look after your family, or you have to look after those in the greatest need. Or in one particular situation you can add them all up and find the right choice.

I'm not sure, myself, if there're any right choices in a clusterfuck like the Holocaust.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    poshniallo wrote: »

Yes.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    nescientistnescientist Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Yes.

Ethics is reserved to the possible, for obvious reasons.

Alternate interpretation of poshniallo's statement: Is it possible to lead a "perfect" life, ethically speaking? Well, probably, but I've seen no evidence of anyone actually accomplishing such. But whatever, how is that germane to the topic at hand?

nescientist on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Yes.

Ethics is reserved to the possible, for obvious reasons.

Alternate interpretation of poshniallo's statement: Is it possible to lead a "perfect" life, ethically speaking? Well, probably, but I've seen no evidence of anyone actually accomplishing such. But whatever, how is that germane to the topic at hand?

I thought that was obvious.

If you help others in trouble you put your dependents at risk. Your life is not merely your own to risk, it is deeply interconnected with your family and other loved ones.

You're damned if you do, damned if you don't.

You can either try to work out some convoluted algebra of moral worth, where a 25% risk of danger to a baby you care for can equal a 78% chance of torture to a human you have just met, but this seems farcical to me. There are so many unknowns, both in terms of probable outcomes and in terms of comparing the morality of different actions. No-one can know what's right to do, surely?

So then you end up making choices from your feelings, because there is no ethically correct solution.

If ethics is 'reserved to the possible' then it has stark limitations. Predicting the future correctly is impossible. Comparing radically different is impossible.

So this dilemma is only worth debating if you believe there is always one correct course of action.

Otherwise it's just down to the feelings of the people in that situation.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Just because "there are unknowns" doesn't mean that ethics can't consider risk. You don't have to be able to precisely value your kid in whatever terms to be able to weigh it's life against someone else's ethically.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Based on the way Org has put it, couldn't we say that given the circumstances of the hypothetical that the dilemma that would appear to be present is that both choices are ethical? Yes, on one side we have an ethical choice to protect your children and ensure their continued safety and security but at the same time you also have to counter that it is ethically right to save the lives of others, even being complete strangers. The moral dilemma isn't so much as saying what might be what is unethical, but rather what is more ethical and I think that is why there would be such a dilemma.

Personally, I'd like to think that I would try and save lives, but at the same time I and my wife would have to strongly consider things. Is there a way to keep the children out of danger? Is there a way where perhaps only one parents could take a potential risk while the other remains with the children? Is there a way to effectively shelter and protect people from harm? There are many more questions of course but I'm merely trying to illustrate a fraction of the thoughts that would be coming into my head were I in this position.

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    HerroHerro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Would it be ethical to become a Nazi yourself if it meant it was the only way to protect your whole family?

Herro on
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I don't think there is always a correct decision. It would depend on many variables.

Are your neighbours likely to inform against you or are they friends who would they take your secrets to their grave?

Can you afford to bribe people to stay quite if someone discovers you?

Even with all that information I don't think you could fault someone for making either choice.

Dman on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Herro wrote: »
    Would it be ethical to become a Nazi yourself if it meant it was the only way to protect your whole family?

I think that many people draw an ethical line at actually facilitating and supporting pain/death yourself.

As in, it is not neccesarily unethical to stand by and do nothing while others suffer, in order to protect yourself, but to step up and add to that suffering crosses a line.

Evander on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Evander wrote: »

I think that many people draw an ethical line at actually facilitating and supporting pain/death yourself.

As in, it is not neccesarily unethical to stand by and do nothing while others suffer, in order to protect yourself, but to step up and add to that suffering crosses a line.

WiesenthalSunflower98Cov440pxh.jpg

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »

Oh man, I remember when they assigned this to us back in high school, and I never bothered to actually read it.

Evander on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

1gq5qd.jpg

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009

Oh man, I remember when they assigned this to us back in high school, and I never bothered to actually read it.

I liked it, although I thought some of the answers at the end were a little iffy, as I would have pointed out that I'm not the Jew pope and so have no place in his forgiveness.
    The plot is about nazi who did the above.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    JacksWastedLifeJacksWastedLife Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Feral wrote: »

Yes.

Parents have an ethical responsibility to avoid putting their children in harm's way. I see this as overriding any possible ethical responsibility one stranger has towards another (if in fact that responsibility exists at all in a given situation, which is entirely circumstantial).

So when my child falls under my full family health insurance I should decide that they are being protected and fuck y'all and your HCR?

You see, governmental programs cost me money, money I could be spending on making sure my own children have the best I can afford for them. Supporting governmental programs that I don't directly benefit from is stealing from my children who will be provided protections and comforts based on the wealth I am able to retain.

Or on a different tact, if I was one of the Jews, don't I have an imperative to now silence the family I sought refuge with when that refuge was denied? They might report us to save their own children, so to protect my own I would be forced to threaten or harm theirs.

JacksWastedLife on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Feral wrote: »

Yes.

So when my child falls under my full family health insurance I should decide that they are being protected and fuck y'all and your HCR?

You see, governmental programs cost me money, money I could be spending on making sure my own children have the best I can afford for them. Supporting governmental programs that I don't directly benefit from is stealing from my children who will be provided protections and comforts based on the wealth I am able to retain.

For your analogy to be valid, you would first have to show that UHC would increase your taxes, second that the increase in taxes would noticeably impair your ability to provide health care for your children, third that UHC would not benefit your children more than the increase in taxes, and fourth that any increase in taxes would actually be spent providing better health care for your children and not, say, buying a bigger TV.

In other words, when you want to generalize any given ethical principle into policy, as you're trying to, you need to actually perform (or critically read) an economic analysis of the policy in question. If you really wish to get into the nitty-gritty of that economic analysis, we have a health care thread over here. :arrow:

Your counterargument shows that you fundamentally misread my point, anyway. I believe that we have an ethical requirement to help other people in general, but that there is no blanket requirement to help others every single time we have the opportunity, because the decision on whether or not to help a particular person in a particular situation must depend on the peculiar circumstances of the person and situation in question (as Evander said early on in this thread). Any responsibility we have to our children must exceed the responsibility we have to random strangers, or else the very notion of parentage breaks down completely.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.