As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
We're funding a new Acquisitions Incorporated series on Kickstarter right now! Check it out at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pennyarcade/acquisitions-incorporated-the-series-2

Power Issue?

M.D.M.D. and then what happens?Registered User regular
I just moved into a new home this past month and haven't been able to get my computer to start.

When I start my computer and it gets to the loading windows screen everything seems fine, then when the screen vanishes and the windows login screen should appear it just shuts down.

I kept trying and eventually I blew the power to all the outlets in half of the house. Now i'm not sure if this is because it's a power supply unit issue or the house in this particular room can't support my computer.

I have a big screen tv, surround sound, dvd player, xbox 360 and 8mm player all plugged in at a different part of the house working fine.

Should I try moving my pc to different parts of the house and testing it or just order a new psu?

M.D. on

• PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I just moved into a new home this past month and haven't been able to get my computer to start.

When I start my computer and it gets to the loading windows screen everything seems fine, then when the screen vanishes and the windows login screen should appear it just shuts down.

I kept trying and eventually I blew the power to all the outlets in half of the house. Now i'm not sure if this is because it's a power supply unit issue or the house in this particular room can't support my computer.

I have a big screen tv, surround sound, dvd player, xbox 360 and 8mm player all plugged in at a different part of the house working fine.

Should I try moving my pc to different parts of the house and testing it or just order a new psu?

That's not normal in any way, shape, or form. I imagine you have a wiring fault somewhere - either in the house involving that outlet, or the PSU itself is faulty. Move it to a new area and try again; if it works, you have a wiring fault in that outlet. If it doesn't, then replace the PSU and be wary of that outlet because it may have killed it.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Alright, i'll try a different room today and hope that it wasn't my psu or that it killed it. Thanks

M.D. on