As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me to Star Wars RPG

Bloods EndBloods End Blade of TyshallePunch dimensionRegistered User regular
edited November 2009 in Critical Failures
So I was trolling my neighborhood Salvation Army looking for books when I stumbled onto this treasure trove of goodness.
image7za.jpgimage6vd.jpg
image8lm.jpg
image9ds.jpg
Now, since I love star wars I bought all of them, just to have them. But lately I've actually wanted to at least try to play a game of this. problem is I have no idea how any of it works, or if I even have all the things I need to play it or if the stuff I have is compatible with one another. And I don't have many people that I know who RPG. So can I use this stuff to RPG and how do I start?

Bloods End on

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ok, those are what looks like all d20 Star Wars books. If that's true, then the way to know if they are compatible is simple. The new edition ("Saga Edition") books are all square, about the width of a normal book but a lot smaller vertically. Those books are not compatible with any of the older, normal size books for what was the first Star Wars d20 edition.

What you need to play is also pretty simple. Character sheets are available online and you just need the general d20 system dice (d20, d12, 2d10, d8, d6, d4).

Delmain on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Delmain wrote: »
    Ok, those are what looks like all d20 Star Wars books. If that's true, then the way to know if they are compatible is simple. The new edition ("Saga Edition") books are all square, about the width of a normal book but a lot smaller vertically. Those books are not compatible with any of the older, normal size books for what was the first Star Wars d20 edition.

What you need to play is also pretty simple. Character sheets are available online and you just need the general d20 system dice (d20, d12, 2d10, d8, d6, d4).
    Actually, that bottom book in the top right photo is the Saga Core rulebook. I'm fairly sure.

Anyway, do you have any familiarity with RPGs at all? Specifically, d20 Modern or 3rd Edition D&D? Those two are really similar to most of what you have there. The books are actually from two separate editions of the SWRPG (OCR and RCR), but other than the Saga book I pointed out, they should be compatible.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I know, I was considering Saga to be a d20 game, being as that you roll d20s. As opposed to the d6 Star Wars that was an entirely different game altogether.

Delmain on
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Delmain wrote: »

Actually, that bottom book in the top right photo is the Saga Core rulebook. I'm fairly sure.

Anyway, do you have any familiarity with RPGs at all? Specifically, d20 Modern or 3rd Edition D&D? Those two are really similar to most of what you have there. The books are actually from two separate editions of the SWRPG (OCR and RCR), but other than the Saga book I pointed out, they should be compatible.

OCR and RCR are more or less D&D 3rd edition in space. If you've played D&D it should be easy enough. However, playing anything other than a jedi in that edition kinda stinks (that's my own personal bias though, there's pleny of fans of OCR/RCR who would disagree).

I prefer the Saga Edition, and it does look like you've got the core rulebook for it... and if you want to play Saga edition, the beautiful thing about it is that you can do so very very much with just that one book. It's a very good system.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Also: I dig that K'Kruhk avatar :^:

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The other good thing is that even if you do play the SAGA version (which you should, the system is a lot more fun), you can use the older edition books as sources for story ideas (Coruscant and the Core Worlds, Geonosis and the Outer Rim Worlds, Galactic Campaign Guide, NJO/Rebellion era guides).

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Yep, I think you're right. And Horseshoe is also right in that Saga is great because everything you need is in that one book.

The OCR and RCR books should be compatible with little or no tweaking.

This was a seriously awesome find.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    oh shit how could i have forgotten?

gary sarli, one of the saga edition authors wrote a conversion guide for using RCR stuff in Saga Edition

http://www.gmsarligames.com/sagaconversion.phpf

as he says, it's not perfect, but it works pretty well

edit: there's two links on that page, the better of the two is:

http://www.gmsarligames.com/sagaconversion/SWRPG_Saga_Conversion.pdf

FYI above link is to a 400 KB pdf document

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    oakloreoaklore Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What a find. Congrats. Makes me want to head to my Salvay right away, heh.

oaklore on
    orbit.gif