As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E IC] The Second Son

• Options
    robp85robp85 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Just waiting on Shield's post. Brody said he was waiting on Chloro first. I'm sure he'll be on sometime today. After he posts, I'll put up the update.

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Charge S9, miss terribly, and stand around looking dumb?

Ardent Strike vs AC 19: 1d20+8 13 1d10+5 12

Shield attempts to run down one of the flaming skeletons, but his hammer glances uselessly.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Round 5

The two blazing skeletons step back and release bolts of fire from their hands once again. The first fire ball fizzles before it can reach Shield. The second blast connects with Alester increasing the strength of the magical fire already surrounding his body.

Blazing Skeleton 1:

Move: Shift to T9
    Standard: Flame Orb vs Shield (Ref:13) = 10 Miss!

Blazing Skeleton 2:

Move: Shift to S15
    Standard: Flame Orb vs Alester (Ref:16) = 28 Critical hit for 12 damage! Reduced to 7 damage after Zamiel's protection.

Initiative:
    Skeletons
    Chloro
    Alester
    Zamiel
    Rune
    Keldyn
    Shield

Map:
    zujsdk.png

-The water is NOT difficult terrain
    -The water is, however, charged with magical electricity. Anything that steps into it takes 5 damage. Anyone pushed/slid/etc into it gets a chance to save and go prone prior to entering the water.
    -Green zone is Chloro's burst zone. Any creature inside the zone grants CA to attackers.

All allies have damage resist 5 (Zamiel can sustain with minor)
    Alester Cromwell - 12/27 - AC18/F13/R16/W15 - HS 5/7 - AP 0/2
    @Q15 - Status: Bloodied. Ongoing 5 fire damage (save ends).
    Chloro - 28/28 - AC16/F13/R13/W15 - HS 10/10 - AP 1/2
    @Q8 - Status: Normal.
    Keldyn Sodosa - 14/23 - AC16/F12/R15/W15 - HS 7/7 - AP 1/2
    @L10 - Status: Normal
    Rune - 25+2/32 - AC14/F15/R13/W12 - HS 10/11 - AP 1/2
    @L9 - Status: Normal.
    Shield - 18/36 - AC20/F15/R13/W14 - HS 12/13 - AP 2/2
    @R9 - Status: Ongoing 5 fire damage (save ends). Bloodied.
    Zamiel - 22/22 - AC16/F10/R11/W16 - HS 6/7 - AP 1/2
    @L11 - Status: Normal.
    Blazing Skeleton 1 - 16/53 - AC19/F15/R18/W16
    @T9 - Status: Blazing Body (aura 1, anyone starting their turn in aura takes 5 fire damage). Bloodied. -2 to all defenses.
    Blazing Skeleton 2 - 3/53 - AC19/F15/R18/W16
    @S15 - Status: Blazing Body (aura 1, anyone starting their turn in aura takes 5 fire damage). Bloodied. Oath of Enmity.

Next up: Everyone!

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
  • Options
    SuperRuperSuperRuper Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm gonna go last, so you all get the CA against the skeleton.

SuperRuper on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ChemENGR
  • Options
    soxboxsoxbox Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'll wait on somebody else to hit BS1 to get the astral seal HP.

soxbox on
  • Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'll wait on someone to get the Astral Seal hp then throw up another one. :D

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Divine Challenge against BS1, then Holy Strike vs AC: 1d20+9 19 1d10+5 15+2=17. Does tying vs. AC win?

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    edited January 2010
    A thin film of ice begins to form around his orb, but Keldyn can't keep his concentration and he lets out a frustrated scream as the coldness instead transfers up his arm. Keldyn begins to weep at the futility of his actions.

Well, I was expecting my great rolls to continue, so I thought I'd just go ahead and miss again:

Chilling Cloud vs Fortitude on BS2: 1d20+5 6 4 4

If everybody elses rolls also suck and BS2 manages to live, he'll be taking a -2 to hit if he stays in the blast 1 zone around him.

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Brody wrote: »
    Divine Challenge against BS1, then Holy Strike vs AC: 1d20+9 19 1d10+5 15+2=17. Does tying vs. AC win?

Yep, but BS1's AC is also only 17 due to Zamiel's Astral Seal so it for sure hits.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Noting Shield's success with a small measure of satisfaction, Zamiel finally turns his attention to the last remaining skeleton. Even though there is no reason to capture it, Zamiel decides to give his allies another chance to invigorate themselves rather than attempt to bring the creature down on his own. A quick word and gesture brings the cloud of ill fate from the crumpled bones of the fallen skeleton to his still standing undead.

"One last hit and this one'll go down! Make it count!"

Standard: Astral Seal vs. BS2 (R18) = 18 Hit Blazing Skeleton takes a -2 penalty to all defenses and the next ally to hit it gains 9 hp.
    Minor: Sustain Moment of Glory.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Rune moves forward to lend a hand, but his attack seems like it does little to deter the skeleton.

Sorry for the delay. I was in a wedding, and I had multiple Xmas road trips.

Move to P9 for concealment.
    Minor: Curse BS1
    Standard:Hellish Rebuke vs BS1 (16): 1d20+7+2 26 1d6+6+1d6 8

If I take damage before my EONT, he'll take 7 fire damage

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Actually, since Brody hit for 15 damage before, he only had 1HP left, so by 'does little to deter the skeleton', you meant 'does massive damage and makes the skeleton explode a bit'... unless these guys are radiant vulnerable, in which case Brody already killed it.

Edit: Just looked up the monster - Brody killed BS1 due to using radiant damage. Assuming that you would have instead attacked BS2, he would have resisted all of the fire damage you caused (him being on fire and all), but he'll still take 1 damage from your curse damage as that is untyped, plus you'll get healed to full by the astral seal.

So only BS1 still lives, he has 2 HP left, has -2 to all defenses and -2 to attack rolls (unless he moves out of my chilling cloud).

soxbox on
  • Options
    Kevin R BrownKevin R Brown __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Alester turns on the remaining fiend, light erupting from his eyes and searing the miserable creature.

Standard: Radiant vengeance vs BS2.

Radiant Vengeance vs BS2: 1d20+3 17
    Radiant Vengeance DMG: 1d8+3 5

Hits for 5 radiant damage.

Kevin R Brown on
    ' As always when their class interests are at stake, the capitalists can dispense with noble sentiments like the right to free speech or the struggle against tyranny.'
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    ...Oh, BS2 only had 3 HPs left. So my eye lasers killed it. :)

Kevin R Brown on
    ' As always when their class interests are at stake, the capitalists can dispense with noble sentiments like the right to free speech or the struggle against tyranny.'
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Watching the last of the skeletons fall, Keldyn visibly relaxes and begins to wander about, twirling his orb. He pokes briefly at the water, watching it hiss against the last remnants of Zamiel's protection before thinking better of playing with power-charged water. He wanders over to a corner and sits to stare into his orb, mumbling quietly while he waits for the others to recover from the combat.

I believe that's combat over? I'll take 1 surge to get up to 19HP.

Arcana: 1d20+9 11 to see if there's anything more interesting about the water than it's damaging-ness.

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Chloro calls back the locusts from around the shambles of the skeleton. His form seems to thicken a bit.

"Well, that got heated fast...", you can make out a small grin from under the hood. He coughs and a bug is thrown from the nest of twigs that make up his form. It quickly finds it's way back to its resting place.

He begins to walk around searching for anything of value.

Perception, 1d20+9 : 20...well then. I might as well have taken 10.

SuperRuper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Zamiel visibly calms as the battle comes to a sudden end. He notes with approval that his allies have weathered what could have been a difficult fight rather well due to their individual talents and a small amount of assistance from his patron goddess.

"Well done, everyone, wonderful teamwork. Shall we rest a short moment to compose ourselves?" Zamiel asks, stepping into the room, "and does anyone require additional healing?" he adds.

I got another Healing Surge, and my channel divinity which heals bloodied folks with some bonuses tacked on.

Alester and Shield got my Astral Seals I think so they'd be at 21/27 and 27/36, respectively, Chloro and Zamiel are full health, and Rune is at 25/32, and Keldyn is (was) at 14/23. So no one's bloodied so healer's mercy is useless, unfortunately. If we're planning on short resting someone can take my leftover healering word for a +11 bonus to their healing surge.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    My surge will top me off, but if you really want to use Healer's Mercy, I suppose we could just wack each other a bit?

Brody on

• Options
    edited January 2010
    Well, I think I'm the only one more than a surge off full, so I'll take the healer's word - full health for Keldyn.

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    At Keldyn's request, Zamiel speaks a few words over him while he catches his breath. To the common ear they are simple prayers and quotes from various sacred writings, but the faith behind them brings strength to the weary body and resolve to the tested soul.

"There, you seem good as new, or at least as good as you ever get. Tell those voices of yours to go easy on you for a bit, physician's orders."

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    If we're taking a short rest, Alester will pop a healing surge to get up to 26/27 HPs.

...What kind of XPs and loot did we get this time, mister GM? :)

Kevin R Brown on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    A close inspection of the water reveals nothing but magical energies that are meant to harm those who step into it.

Looking around the fallen enemies, most of the items are beat up or were destroyed during the combat except for a single orb laying in the outstretched, bony fingers of one of the skeletons. The magical power behind it is immediately recognized by Keldyn and he realizes that it may be of some use to him.

The group all feel a little more powerful. The experience over the day has increased everyone's ability as individuals and as a team. However, one feels a little different than the others.

Chloro feels the divine protection fade from him, just like everyone else. But, unlike everyone else, there is a lingering effect. His powers seem to be enhanced slightly as well as augmented. The effect could only be explained as an additional blessing from the Raven Goddess given to him because of the faith of Zamiel.

Well, well, well... Another of my encounters defeated by some great teamwork and the good use of a daily. Impressive.

You all gain another 350 experience which should move you all up to level 2! Congratulations!

As for the item drops, here is what you receive:

Spring Renewal Totem (Chloro):
    Implement (Totem)
    Enhancement: +1 attack rolls and damage rolls
    Critical: +1d6 damage
    Property: On a critical hit one ally within 5 squares of you regains hit points equal to twice the totem’s enhancement bonus.
    Power (Daily • Healing): Free Action. Trigger: You hit an enemy with a primal attack power using this totem. Effect: One ally within 5 squares of you gains regeneration equal to twice the totem’s enhancement bonus until the end of the encounter.

Orb of Sanguinary Repercussions (Keldyn):
    Implement (Orb)
    Enhancement: +1 attack rolls and damage rolls
    Critical: +1d6 damage
    Property: On a critical hit you deal +1d10 damage instead of +1d6 against bloodied creatures.
    Power (Daily): Minor Action. Deal 1d6 + Intelligence modifier damage to each bloodied creature within 5 squares of you.

Chloro, please note: the way I handled your item is through some innate ability of yours. Because of that, you don't physically hold the item but just have the ability to use the powers. Despite this, please add the item into your character sheet. Thanks :)

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Cool. I'll write it as it one of my body's branches acts as the totem, or something like that.

Another post to come soon

SuperRuper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Keldyn hisses briefly as Zamiel administers his prayers before regaining his composure. "Thankyou, Zamiel. I do what I can, but the heat of battle brings out the worst of them." Suddenly he catches a flash of light as the others search the corpses and his hands dart up, leaving his current orb to shatter to the ground as a shiny new red ball flies from the one of the ruined corpses and into his grasp. He turns his head, listening to something before shaking it off and turning to Zamiel again. "They.... I mean... I mislike the feel of this place. We should press on."

Sheet updated, ready to roll.

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    "I concur with the mage. We still have quarry to catch, afterall."

Alester crushes one of the formerly animated skeleton's skulls underfoot, the sounds bringing the slightest of grins to his face.

I'm all SP 2.0 now too. :) Distracting flare should be pretty awesome sauce, if I understand my role correctly.

Kevin R Brown on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Rune nods and begins walking to the west. "Yes, let us tarry no longer here."

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The forgotten halls continue. Runed tablets line the walls with religious symbols now long forgotten. Soon you find a set of steps leading down to a large room. Three gargoyle statues leer at you from a raised platform. Between you and the statues lays a huge crack - a gaping wound in the earth that leads down
    into the abyss below.

As you step further into the room two pale skinned beings step out from behind the left and right statues. Wisps of frosty mist rise from their bodies. Another comes from the behind the middle statue on the opposite side of the gash in the earth.

Roll Initiative!

Map:
    15sahed.png

Let me know if you don't like your starting location and we'll move you around. Only rule is you have to be north of G.

Notes:
    -You cannot step into the squares with the statues and they completely block line of sight

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Initiative: 1d20+1 12

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Initiative: 1d20+1 8

Woah - this room is hella cramped - I take it that we can't move diagonally around the statues? Are they climbable?. Is there a bunch more room below L? Perhaps somebody athletically minded may consider jumping over the pit.

Melee guys head down east and west - Chloro and I can take turns pulling that other guy into the pit. 'Wisps of frosty mist' = easy on the cold, fire up that fire.

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Initiative: 1d20+5 12

Imma do an awesome somersault over that pit. Is that going to be an acrobatics check or an athletics check?

Kevin R Brown on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Athletics - if you move 2 squares before the jump, you'll jump (athletics check / 5) squares - so you'd need to roll 4+ to get over without causing the tragedies. Looking over everybody's sheets, Athletics is totally not our strong point. Here's hoping the next room isn't a climbing/jumping obstacle course.

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Chloro has a little trouble seeing the new enemies lying in wait in the next room, on account of him being intrigued by his new-found power.

Initiative = 8 woohoo. good start.

SuperRuper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Initiative: 1d20+0 4

Waiting to get my flash drive back from a friend, but I will have an updated sheet up soon.

Brody on

• Options
    edited January 2010
    Zamiel finds himself in the unusual situation of being the first to spot the enemy, he gestures ahead to his allies to point out the newest foes. "It looks like more undead, and they don't seem friendly," he adds, while checking his memory to see if they are, in fact, undead, and more importantly, if he can remember anything about them that may be useful in combating them.

Initiative: 1d20+1 = 15
    Religion: 1d20+7 = 24

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Round 1

Both the pale skinned creatures charge the incoming foes. With deadly precision, they both strike true hitting Alester and Shield. Alester shrugs the chill of the undead creature's attack off easily but Shield is not so fortunate. Ice forms around his feet pinning him in place.

Chillborn 1:

Move: to G5
    Standard: Slam vs Alester (AC:19+2) = 29 Hit for 10 damage!
    Follow up attack: vs Alester (Fort:14) = 13 Miss!

Chillborn 2:

Move: to G8
    Standard: Slam vs Shield (AC:21+2) = 26 Hit for 9 damage!
    Follow up attack: vs Shield (Fort:16) = 25 Hit! Shield is now immobilized
    !

Initiative:
    Chillborn (12)
    Zamiel (15)
    Alester (12)
    Rune (12)

Death Shrieker (10)
    Keldyn (8)
    Chloro (8)
    Shield (4)

Map:
    4rb02o.png

Notes:
    -You cannot step into the squares with the statues and they completely block line of sight
    -The room does expand down south for 2 more squares before entering another hallway.

Alester Cromwell - 23/33 - AC19/F14/R17/W16 - HS 4/7 - AP 0/2
    @F6 - Status: Normal.
    Chloro - 33/33 - AC17/F14/R14/W16 - HS 10/10 - AP 1/2
    @E7 - Status: Normal.
    Keldyn Sodosa - 27/27 - AC17/F13/R16/W16 - HS 6/7 - AP 1/2
    @D6 - Status: Normal.
    Rune - 32/32 - AC14/F15/R13/W12 - HS 10/11 - AP 1/2
    @E6 - Status: Normal.
    Shield - 33/42 - AC21/F16/R14/W15 - HS 11/13 - AP 2/2
    @F7 - Status: Immobilized.
    Zamiel - 27/27 - AC17/F11/R12/W17 - HS 6/7 - AP 1/2
    @D7 - Status: Normal.
    Death Shrieker - 65/65 - AC19/F17/R17/W16
    @L8 - Status: Normal.
    Chillborn 1 - 48/48 - AC22/F21/R17/W17
    @G5 - Status: Normal.
    Chillborn 2 - 48/48 - AC22/F21/R17/W17
    @G8 - Status: Normal.

First up: Zamiel, Alester and Rune!

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Planning an all-out assault on the chilling creature that attacked Alester, Zamiel is caught off guard when the creature ducks behind the wall, letting his offensive prayers fizzle uselessly.

Dumbfounded by this failure, he curses quietly to himself, moving up would put him in the kind of danger it wasn't prudent to place himself, and while the foes had landed some punishing blows on his allies, they weren't in enough danger yet that he would spend some precious focus on bolstering their strength. Ignoring his annoyance at this disappointing turn of events, Zamiel hopes his allies fare better then him in their efforts.

Standard: Astral Seal vs. Chillborn 1 (R17+2) = 10 Miss
    Action Point: Sacred Flame vs. Chilborn 1 (Ref17+2) = 10 Miss

No healing or saving throws to give out, buggerrrrrrr!

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Rune wastes no time cursing and igniting the nearest frigid undead. "You are impeding our progress, creatures. It would be best for you to stand down."

Minor: Curse C2
    Standard: Hellish Rebuke vs C2 (17): 1d20+8 23 1d6+6+1d6 8 fire damage

If I get damaged before my EONT, C2 will take 11 fire damage.

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'll get my sheet updated tonight. Got my flash drive back finally.

Brody on

• Options
    edited January 2010
    "I haven't the time to play with you."

A brilliant light erupts around Alester, blinding anyone who would try to catch a glimpse at him, and the avenger sprints towards the fissure separating the party from the creature on the other side. He vaults through the air, somersaulting and carrying himself across the gap to land on the other side.

"I expunge you from this plane, monster."

Cromwell's jagged blade rips through his target, spilling ichor onto the ground.

Move: Activate Distracting Flare, becoming Invisible. Move to L7, jumping over the fissure.

Minor: Swear Oath of Enmity against the Death Shrieker.

Standard: Change vs Death Shrieker. Next turn I will get a +2 bonus to AC and damage rolls.

Super awesome Jedi somersault over crevass: 1d20 5

Charge the Death Shrieker: 1d20+10 21

Charge DMG: 1d12+3 9

Kevin R Brown on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Round 1.5

The fire Rune brought down on one of the chillborn seems to be more effective than he may have first realized. The creature cries out in anguish and seems to lose a bit of the icy wisp around it.

Meanwhile, the Death Shrieker's mouth opens wide and a piercing cry is released. The cry itself was little more than an annoyance to Alester's ears but he quickly realizes the power this undead creature wields. A force of freezing cold air whips around his body and ice forms around the base of his feet holding him in place.

Death Shrieker:

Standard: Icy Shriek vs Alester (F:14) = 19 Hit for 10 damage!
    Alester is now immobilized (save ends)!
    Move: shift to L9

Initiative:
    Chillborn (12)
    Zamiel (15)
    Alester (12)
    Rune (12)

Death Shrieker (10)
    Keldyn (8)
    Chloro (8)
    Shield (4)

Map:
    2vucvpt.png

Notes:
    -The room does expand down south for 2 more squares before entering another hallway.

Alester Cromwell - 13/33 - AC19/F14/R17/W16 - HS 4/7 - AP 0/2
    @L7 - Status: Immobilized (save ends). Bloodied.
    Chloro - 33/33 - AC17/F14/R14/W16 - HS 10/10 - AP 1/2
    @E7 - Status: Normal.
    Keldyn Sodosa - 27/27 - AC17/F13/R16/W16 - HS 6/7 - AP 1/2
    @D6 - Status: Normal.
    Rune - 32/32 - AC14/F15/R13/W12 - HS 10/11 - AP 1/2
    @E6 - Status: Normal.
    Shield - 33/42 - AC21/F16/R14/W15 - HS 11/13 - AP 2/2
    @F7 - Status: Immobilized (save ends).
    Zamiel - 27/27 - AC17/F11/R12/W17 - HS 6/7 - AP 1/2
    @D7 - Status: Normal.
    Death Shrieker - 56/65 - AC19/F17/R17/W16
    @L9 - Status: Oath of Enmity.
    Chillborn 1 - 48/48 - AC22/F21/R17/W17
    @G5 - Status: Normal.
    Chillborn 2 - 37/48 - AC22/F21/R17/W17
    @G8 - Status: Cursed.

Next up: Keldyn, Chloro and Shield!

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden