As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

RAM troubles - Dodgy DIMM?

Track NineTrack Nine Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Okay, so recently my rather aged PC has been suffering a multitude of performance and sability issues, culminating in a recent total system meltdown wherin the system couldn't start without BSODing and rebooting.

Anyway, that problem seems to have been largely due to OS issues resulting from a bad malware infection, but after finally managing to get Windows operational again, I've extended testing to the hardware and come up with a problem.

For a few months the system would occasionally lock up (Hard-lock). Usually after logging into windows and very occasionally at the motherboard logo upon turning on the machine. Since fixing the OS I've still been getting the hard-locking so I've been running memtest86 to check the memory. The result is that it seems that any stick of memory connected to DIMM 1 either pulls up a slew of errors or the system locks up while running memtest86. Stick either stick in the other DIMM and they test fine.

So, it looks like DIMM 1 may be the cause of the problem rather than the RAM itself (right?)

It's a very old system (Athlon 64 3000, Abit KV8 Pro mobo) so nothing is under warranty and money is damn tight for me right now. Is there anything I can do to fix it or am I pretty much screwed?

Track Nine on

• vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That sounds like a bad RAM slot, so... pretty much screwed unless you find someone to donate a replacement Socket 754 board.

Speaking of which, check your PMs. ;-)

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer