As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Kill counts exceeding 9000: Where to look?

yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Games and Technology
Okay, so, I'm craving games in which I murder a metric fuckload of people. Beat-em-ups, hack-n-slashes, shooters, whatever. I figure this thread should act as a general ground for such things, but as for my own personal tastes, I'm looking for a third person shooter and/or hack 'n slash/beat em up, with good raw mechanics to make the game itself fun. Bonus points for allowing both ranged and melee combat.

I personally have played Devil May Cry, several Dynasty Warriors games, Serious Sam, Doom, Prototype, and so on, so most of those are a bit short on newness. On the other hand, I haven't exactly played everything, so don't consider something out just because it's well known...And of course, any sequels that really change up the formula to a series I have experience with are welcome.

So, any ideas?

yalborap on

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    pkbox.jpg

Do not buy any of the sequels or anything beyond the first expansion pack, they're not made by the same people and all universally suck dicks

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Excellent game. Sadly, I lack access to a Windows PC, so it's a non-option for me, unless there's a good console port.

yalborap on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Was that Ninety Nine Nights any good?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Metal Slug? 3's the best, but any of them work for just killing a metric fuckton of grunts

Also: Painkiller did have an Xbox port, no idea how good it was though

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You need to catch a ride with

official-borderlands-box-art.png

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Lawndart wrote: »
    You need to catch a ride with

BL_360_FoB_FINAL_1250027951.jpg

Got it already, it kicks ass.

yalborap on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    There are points in Batman: Arkham Asylum where you take on pretty large amounts of enemies and it has a mode where you fight an endless stream of bad guys. It is also an all around excellent game.

Peewi on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    51i-fips-il_ss500_.jpg

Seriously.
    Also Ninety-Nine Nights isn't bad for that Dynasty Warriors fix, although it's not quite as good. You do murder a metric fuckton of people/bad guys, though.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »

It was OK and you could rack up an impressive kill count in it. I wouldn't pay more than $10 for it new though.

Invisible on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »

Not really. It was fairly mediocre, I probably could have put up with that but it has a larger problem. It has loooooooong levels (some over an hour) where you plough through a bajillion guys fine, then you get up to the boss at the end who's cheap as fuck, he kills you and then...

Whoops! No checkpoints! Start that level from the fucking start!

-SPI- on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Crackdown? It can be had for fairly cheap these days.

What about... ODST's Firefight mode?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Nocren wrote: »
    Crackdown? It can be had for fairly cheap these days.

What about... ODST's Firefight mode?

Crackdown certainly kicks ass, but I've played it.

yalborap on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    L4D/2 has you murdering a lot of zombies. Of course, lack of a PC makes the experience... less than ideal.

freakish light on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Dead Rising?
    dead-rising-dead-rising-lots-and-lots-of-zombies.jpg

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    One obvious choice is either or both God Of War games, since boy howdy do you kill a fuckton of dudes.

One more obscure game I can recommend, mainly since you can now get it for dirt cheap, is The Club. While the body count isn't that much higher than other FPS games, there's no pesky plot or anything to bog things down.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Whatchu talkin' bout? The Club is a game where both figuratively and literally the only goal is to kill mans over and over again for sport.

It's also great.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Visti wrote: »
    Dead Rising?
    dead-rising-dead-rising-lots-and-lots-of-zombies.jpg

Yes, this is the game that the OP wants. There's an achievement for killing 53 thousand zombies, or however many are in the town. If you're looking for body count, this game is it.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What you have to remember playing Dead Rising, for anyone who hasn't played it before, is the first couple of times through you really need to ignore the story and level up your dude. After you have some levels under your belt and an idea of how to get around the mall without dying horribly, then start worrying about story mode. It will kick your ass straight out of the gate.

freakish light on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What you have to remember playing Dead Rising, for anyone who hasn't played it before, is the first couple of times through you really need to ignore the story and level up your dude. After you have some levels under your belt and an idea of how to get around the mall without dying horribly, then start worrying about story mode. It will kick your ass straight out of the gate.

At this point, just invite me over to play through the first four times for you perfectly, then take it up yourself.

It's a service I provide actually.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Also, if you've got an SDTV, preorder glasses.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »

At this point, just invite me over to play through the first four times for you perfectly, then take it up yourself.

It's a service I provide actually.

congrats, internet coolguy

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Played Dead Rising. Beaten Dead Rising. Looking forward to Dead Rising 2: Rise Harder.

Great game, though.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Think you could make a list then, so we don't just play the 'oh wait, I've played that' game?

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    tofu on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Think you could make a list then, so we don't just play the 'oh wait, I've played that' game?

Right, sorry. I'll try to think of as many as I can.

-Devil May Cry games.

-Prototype.

-Borderlands.

-Classic DOOM games.

-Dynasty Warriors.

-EDF2017.

-Crackdown.

-GTA.

-Saints Row.

-The Red Star.

-Max Payne.

-Marvel Ultimate Alliance/X-Men Legends/etc.

-Ninja Gaiden.

-The more enemy-laden Megaman games.

-The more enemy-laden Metroidvanias.

-Bangai-O Spirits.

EDIT: -Serious Sam.

EDIT2: -God Hand.

yalborap on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Earth Defense Force 2012 (I know its not the right year, fuck you!)
    Awesome game. Its sole purpose is not to just kill mans, as scarab put it for the club, but to kill robots, giant ants, ufos, bigger ants, spiders, bigger robots. and then more of everything on top. also bigger spiders. Just shoot every-fucking-thing. Its fantastic and I still have it.

edit-man fuck you for pplaying this already. dammit :(
    you cool guy, you!

Big Classy on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    1) Acquire a Dynasty Warriors game
    2) Select Guan Yu
    3) Kill mans
    4) Rejoice

Bobble on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Godhand?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Didn't Too Human have a fairly high bodycount? I heard it did.

Dunxco on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Godhand?

I knew I was forgetting some.

And Bobble, looking at the list of the latest Dynasty Warriors games, how's the PSP entry? Portable mankilling does sound nice, but is it a shoddy title, or at least up to the admittedly low standards of the rest of the series?

yalborap on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The PSP games aren't bad, and from what I've played and seen of the 360/PS3 ones, it's got about the same amount of popup

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Dunxco wrote: »

But it takes so much effort to like. I loved it but I'm a sucker for great ideas and poor execution.

Viking: Batttle for Asgard is pretty good. Conan is another one that lets yuou rip up mans. Both have their fair share of problems but for killing mans, you can't go far wrong.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah I can't speak to the quality of the PSP entry, but the Dynasty Warriors series is really just entirely about a body count. They're like the Kung Fu movies of the video game world.

Bobble on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    If you're willing to go for something older, Smash TV fits the bill, or Robotron if you want even more oldschool (though less bodies).

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh god prototype.

Prototype is a game where you literally kill 50 or so people completely by accident. Getting around takes out like, half the population of NYC.

Khavall on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Scarface had me smiling and Battlefront 2 should keep your hunger full. Just choose Mos Eisly and shoot people from the roof of the space port.

Farcry 2 also has many mans wish death on you.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Dunxco wrote: »

But it takes so much effort to like. I loved it but I'm a sucker for great ideas and poor execution.

Viking: Batttle for Asgard is pretty good. Conan is another one that lets yuou rip up mans. Both have their fair share of problems but for killing mans, you can't go far wrong.

If you're looking to kill lots of mans in brutal fashion, and can look over some general mediocrity in a few other areas, Viking: Battle for Asgard is absolutely your deal.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Whatchu talkin' bout? The Club is a game where both figuratively and literally the only goal is to kill mans over and over again for sport.

It's also great.

I like you, you say things that are smart.

My room mate bought The Club new for 60 bucks. He played it once, I tried it out and loved it. He was pissed because it was like he bought it for me to play.

Edit: Mercenaries is also decent-ish

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    crimsonland (of www.crimsonland.com ) is a good $10 arcade-style body-counter.

it's a 2d overhead shooter where you eventually have the game live up to its name

also lots of perks and guns and powerups

kaleedity on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh, Also

Zombie Apocalypse is rather great. Geometry Wars+L4D= :^:

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.