As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

areas of change?

ElinElin Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I have an essay in Lit. There are several different questions that I can choose from, but the easiest piece to work with has a question I don't understand. It asks why the author used 3 distinct areas of change in the piece, and I don't know what an area of change is in a literary context. This is an online class, and I hate the instructor. She never answers emails and she decided to change the syllabus 1.3 weeks before the end of class, which changed my grade from an A to a C.* Hate. So if someone here is an English major and can tell me what an area of change is, I'd be grateful.

*When I joined the class (a week late), she told me to read the syllabus for class information. I did and it said that discussions would be 450 points, and that we could choose those points from any of the 600 points of discussions. Cool, she's dropping some points to account for missed discussions. So I emailed her before break to confirm something and mentioned that in the syllabus and got back, "Oh, that's wrong, I didn't realize that was there. There are 600 points available." Really, lady? I think she was using someone else's syllabus and didn't read it first. It's possible, she has links to Wikipedia and other people's descriptions on her web page. No more online classes, I always get the flake instructor.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
PSN Hypacia
Xbox HypaciaMinnow
Discord Hypacia#0391
Elin on

• psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Pretty sure your instructor can't change the syllabus, if that helps. Go to your undergraduate chair and tell them that she changed it. It's against the rules here, anyway. A friend's prof did it 2 days before their final to change its structure, they complained, and the prof was forced to offer the old version.

I think that an "area of change" is literally just something that is changing. Without knowing the piece I can't comment, but it could be as simple as a character's development over the course of the work, a gradual shift in the style or tone of the narrator, etc. It's just stupid English profs using stupid terms that no one but them understands because they can. [I am not an English major.]

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png