As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Family Secret Santa...figures I get the grand-dad no one ever sees...

1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
My girlfriend's family does a secret santa and white elephant gift pass at Christmas and this Thanksgiving we pulled names. I got her uncle's dad. He's 78 years old, lives in South Carolina, is very traditional and conservative. He's a big fan of college football (there's some SC team he loves, not sure atm).

Anyways - the limit is $25 and I really want to get some brownie points with the family. Any thoughts on what an aging southern gent would prefer for a gift from a young'un 2x his junior?

1ddqd on

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    a book on the history of SC football?

Usagi on
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Booze. Whisky or Bourbon.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    psyck0 wrote: »
    Booze. Whisky or Bourbon.
    Not if he's a Baptist.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Chases Street DemonsChases Street Demons Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If he is a drinker, Johnny Walker Black. It'll land slightly more than 25, but it's a great gift. :)

Chases Street Demons on
    "Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    [strike]Palin's book[/strike]

Seconding Usagi. A nice book about the history of SC football sounds like a great idea that comes nowhere near political or religiously sensitive subjects.

Aldo on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    EDIT: Nevermind, forgot the $25 limit so thats out haha.

Or maybe if you're really daring, a set of tickets to a game for you, him (his wife? Not sure if she's still in the picture) and your gf.

Depends on the family and the guy really. He might just love watching it on TV and never want to go.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Just get him something edible and non-perishable. Booze, gourmet nuts, dried fruit, whatever your SO thinks he'll like. Shit's everywhere around christmas.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Dude's pretty old. Make sure he wouldn't have to strain his eyes reading the book.

Personally, I'd try to find a DVD of classic games instead.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ha ha, I think the team he likes is called the Gamecocks.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    AH! It's Clemson! I'm thinking about ordering a nice polo with their logo from their bookstore online, or perhaps a sweater. I was trying think of something useful to get and flashlights popped into my head, so I was also looking for a ultra bright LED (rechargeable) flashlight, but didn't find any from "reputable" brands.

1ddqd on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Goes without saying, but make sure you get the right size polo for him. :D

Cyvros on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    lol - he's almost 7 feet tall, but built rather slim, I'm guessing a Large ought to do it. Maybe get XL just in case? I buy Medium stuff so I have no clue of the gamut these sizes can run.

1ddqd on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    1ddqd wrote: »
    lol - he's almost 7 feet tall, but built rather slim, I'm guessing a Large ought to do it. Maybe get XL just in case? I buy Medium stuff so I have no clue of the gamut these sizes can run.
    The problem with L and XL is that the manufacturers believe that L and XL people are also fat. Bitch to buy clothing for, lemmetellyathat

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Aldo wrote: »
    1ddqd wrote: »
    The problem with L and XL is that the manufacturers believe that L and XL people are also fat. Bitch to buy clothing for, lemmetellyathat

Indeed...

...temporarily, let's throw out the clothing idea. What about a pocket knife or multi-tool? My dad always keeps me supplied with a basic blade, but I don't know how older folks get along with small attachments pocket knives tend to have. One of those "assisted-opening" blades mayhap?

1ddqd on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    maybe a book detailing the great moves in football past?

mully on
  • Options
    Teslan26Teslan26 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Socks.

I never have enough socks.

Teslan26 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Teslan26 wrote: »
    Socks.

I never have enough socks.

Are you an old man? lol

I like the football ideas, books and movies alike. I think I'd rather stick with something he'd use over and over again instead of just watch/read once and put on a shelf.

I came across some Gerber items that may be of constant use to him, what do you guys think?

Shard: http://www.gerbergear.com/index.php/product/id/438
    Artifact: http://www.gerbergear.com/index.php/product/id/325

Both seem pretty handy and pocketable, and he's the handy-man type, so they ought to come in handy.

Are there snowstorms in SC often (winter months)? I saw a great ice-scraper that apparently makes short work of even the worst ice cased car.

1ddqd on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    He will really appreciate the book.

It's about something he likes and it will educate himself further on the subject. I read books I enjoy on educational subjects more than once.

Blake T on