As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Video Game Podcasts] - New 'Out of the Game' is actually.. out?

1565758596062»

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    When having to plough through all the generic crap that the video game industry churns out is your job, anything that is remotely different, in any way, will probably seem like the fucking messiah.

Also, I'm with Jeff on Marston. He's just a player avatar that reacts to the situations the game puts him in, he's a very well done player avatar, but still just an avatar.

Marston has no real character arc in the game. Apparently his character arc is done, and it finished years before the game starts.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Monger wrote: »
    Monger wrote: »
    Opty wrote: »
    I get this feeling from the GB crew that they're completely disillusioned with gaming and eke the barest of enjoyment out of it nowadays. I think it was their old game day vidcast that made me feel like that, how much wonder and nostalgia they had in their voices about the old games compared to how tired they sound when talking about new ones. Like how they're quick to dismiss games that don't engage them right out of the gate and how they cement their feelings about a game very quickly and use that to color their perceptions of it from then on. A game like Minecraft where you play for the sake of playing rather than having a goal is exactly the opposite of the type of game they can handle.
    It's mostly Jeff that's like that. I'm still pretty damn sure Brad has ADD, and only actually pays attention to things he can hyperfocus on, like Starcraft and Quake. And Meat Boy, apparently. Ryan will get belligerently giddy whenever he sits in front of something he likes. He just has very specific tastes, mostly involving inane absurdity and chaos. And Vinny likes pretty much everything except Flower. And has OCD for collectibles.

And what do Joey, Justin and Lance like? :lol:;-)
    You joke, but I am peering into your soul right now, fumbling through your secrets.

Dark, though they may be.

So you have a poster of me on your wall and talk about me to your girlfriends?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Personally out of all the whiskey crew I'm most excited for Dave Snider's top 10.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    We're sure he's getting one, right? I mean, 6 days of podcasts, makes sense to see only 6 lists. Alex, Drew, and the Bomb Squad.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I think it might be possible for them to publish more than one list per day.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Listen to Weekend Confirmed if you want to hear people gush about John Marston. I really liked Red Dead, but John Marston was an overly simplistic character - his voice actor deserves an award, not the character itself. There really wasn't much to him, and it's a testament to the actor that he could lend so much gravity to the dialogue. Niko Bellic is pretty much the same, I think.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ugh. Weekend Confirmed.

Ugh...

Also, for anyone interested Jeff Cannata (aka the only good thing about WC) is apparently doing a "tweetup" at a pub in Toronto today. I would go, but I have a lot to do today so I probably can't make it.
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Personally out of all the whiskey crew I'm most excited for Dave Snider's top 10.

Same. I like that Dave has eclectic tastes and plays games that the rest of the ususally don't.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    When having to plough through all the generic crap that the video game industry churns out is your job, anything that is remotely different, in any way, will probably seem like the fucking messiah.

Also, I'm with Jeff on Marston. He's just a player avatar that reacts to the situations the game puts him in, he's a very well done player avatar, but still just an avatar.

Marston has no real character arc in the game. Apparently his character arc is done, and it finished years before the game starts.

Nope
    Marston's character arc is related to his own selfishness

He spends the entire game trying to get out, trying to get back to his family, and trying to redeem himself for the wrongs he's done, and then at the end he realizes he can never get out, so he has to die so they can get out

His character arc is his realization that he is fucked, and his grand self-sacrifice at the end is just as much about his own need for redemption as it is about saving his family

Of course the greater themes of the game - the pointlessness of revenge, being stuck in the past, and the march of progress - do carry greater weight, but to say that John Marston has no character is total fucking nonsense

O course he is an audience cipher. He's a Rockstar protagonist. But no one accused Nico Belic of having no character

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I never said he didn't have character, he just doesn't have much character, certainly not enough for me to regard him as a great character. Most of what you mentioned in the spoiler had already happened by the start of the game, we only get to see the very end of that story.

We disagree, fair enough. Getting into internet arguments isn't really my thing, so I'll leave it at that.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Day 2 of the Top 10s are up, this time with Drew

Spoiler:
    He also picked Limbo as his top choice

That's so odd to me, but hey whatever

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I wish Limbo resonated that much with me. Out of This World might be my favorite game of all time. While I liked Limbo, it just didn't grab me that much. I played through it once, and I'm kind of done with it.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    They've been arguing about DLC for a solid fucking hour please god just choose something.
    So you have a poster of me on your wall and talk about me to your girlfriends?
    Maybe.

Monger on
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Spoiler:

That Rocco dude actually put Dead or Alive Paradise in his list.

It...takes all kinds, I guess?

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Stilts wrote: »

Spoiler:

That Rocco dude actually put Dead or Alive Paradise in his list.

It...takes all kinds, I guess?

I watched the quick look for it because of that. That sure is a... uhh... thing.

Peewi on
  • Options
    Frosty the Snow PlowFrosty the Snow Plow Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh god, what a grueling affair, that day two GOTY bombcast.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Brad and Vinny going back and forth is kinda getting to me.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Is it at least amusing to listen to? I'm heading back to work tomorrow and I'll probably listen on the commute, but if the conversation is just belabored without any levity then I'll just skip it.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Okay, so I finally got around to listening to the first day of the Bombcast.

This Deadly Premonition stuff is getting seriously fucking annoying.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    They make plenty of good points, but there's too much pointless arguing.

Ironic, considering.

reVerse on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Kuratosu wrote: »
    Is it at least amusing to listen to? I'm heading back to work tomorrow and I'll probably listen on the commute, but if the conversation is just belabored without any levity then I'll just skip it.

Jeff and Ryan are mostly just silent because they haven't played both pieces of DLC.

It's pretty serious.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Life is Beautiful totally should have won

Also Brad is wrong Shadow Broker is the best DLC of the year

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Also I'm mystified they like Limbo as much as they do. It was neat, but not near enough substance to even place on my personal GOTY list.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dance Central for GOTY

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm absolutely amazed that they managed to get through best looking game without at any point even mentioning God of War III.

I'm not even saying it should win, but to have an entire conversation without it?

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think I might just not listen to any of these Giant Bomb GOTY podcasts. I imagine they spoil a lot of stuff, and I haven't finished a lot of games this year. Working on Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood though!

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Haven't listened to #2 yet, but the games they spoiled in #1 were Red Dead and Deadly Premonition. According to Ryan Davis, more spoilers are incoming, so it would be appreciated if people could make a note of them here.

Cherrn on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, I just got Red Dead Redemption a few weeks ago and haven't really made it far in the game. Guess I'll avoid that one for sure! Don't really care about Deadly Premonition.

SteevL on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Everyone should just watch the Deadly Premonition Endurance Run because that game is a special kind of crazy.

My only regret was watching Ryan and Brad's run instead of Vinny and Jeff's. At the time I wasn't aware that Brad is terrible at games.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    oh my fucking god

brad shoemaker

i normally agree with you on things. you are not generally an insufferable person to listen to

but

when they hit the point where ryan was like "but Mass Effect 2 is better", and Brad is like "but not THAT much better", and Ryan's like "but it's better"

FUCK HOW DOES BRAD NOT GET IT

ughhhhhh

T4CT on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    He feels that it's not better enough to factor into making SB over MD.

What's not to get,

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    SteevL wrote: »
    I think I might just not listen to any of these Giant Bomb GOTY podcasts

That's my plan. This is the worst part of the year for games writing -- "here is a list of my favorite games this year" is a valid idea, but trying to determine the one game that was better than all the others is silly. I look forward to January and the return of normalcy.

Fats on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Man, don't you guys enjoy listening to people arguing?

Jintor on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, but especially the Shadow Broker vs Minerva's Den thing was just so petty. I liked Day One a lot but Day Two was just a slog, dear lord.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I wonder if there will be any big arguments that don't involve brad.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I just hope that they end up deadlocked enough to open Dave's thing and then award every category to STALKER CoP and Metro 2033.

Because none of those guys played either of them and that's a damn shame.

Monger on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    T4CT wrote: »
    oh my fucking god

brad shoemaker

i normally agree with you on things. you are not generally an insufferable person to listen to

but

when they hit the point where ryan was like "but Mass Effect 2 is better", and Brad is like "but not THAT much better", and Ryan's like "but it's better"

FUCK HOW DOES BRAD NOT GET IT

ughhhhhh

Brad Shoemaker is insufferable

tofu on
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    it's been a year, but

new thread

T4CT on