As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Future of Energy/Alternative Fuels: What's the best method?

Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
With the advancing pace of industrialization, the world requires an incredible amount of power to maintain industry, transportation, and general power consumption by individuals. Additionally, we have come to realize that:

1: Our favored fuel type, fossil fuels, will begin to dwindle in the coming decades
2: It is extremely likely that fossil fuels have a negative environmental impact

As such, we require alternative methods of power production and ways to store energy for use in transportation. To give some basic numbers, the US currently uses around 50% as much energy toward transportation as it does to generate electricity. To switch to an alternative fuel source (like hydrogen, artificial petroleum, or batteries) the US power grid must increase to at least 150% its current size, and I suspect similar expansions would be necessary in other developed countries. It should be noted that this estimate ignores further increases in demand and the development of other nations over time.

Here's the fun part: what method do you think is best to go about ensuring sufficient power/energy availability for all our current and future needs, as well as those of developing countries around the world?
Fusion doesn't count - it has yet to prove to be reliable in any sense for power production. In that vein, keep it to technologically feasible approaches.

I think a combination of nuclear and orbital solar power, along with batteries used as the primary energy storage medium for transportation is the best way to go about doing this. Current 'green energy' production methods are not reliable or constant enough, as the vast majority of them are dependent on local and global weather patterns (wind, hydroelectric, solar).

EDIT: Note during the writing of the 7th post I found a mathematical error in my energy conversions, and that this post has been corrected to match the actual values.

Emissary42 on

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Emissary42 wrote: »
    As such, we require alternative methods of power production and ways to store energy for use in transportation. To give some basic numbers, the US currently uses around two times as much energy toward transportation as it does to generate electricity.

I don't see where you are getting that from, unless you are restricting the definition of 'energy' to 'oil' which really doesn't make much sense seeing how we barely use any petroleum based power plants.

In any event, solar is the future. It's just a matter of what we do between now and that future that things get tricksy. Chiefly it's probably going to be nuclear, solar, wind, and cleaner coal/nat gas plants. We've pretty much tapped every river for hydro so that's more or less a plateau. Maybe the generators could be improved or something to make them work better but you aren't going to see many new dams goin up since there aren't a lot of places to build any new dams. There's an awful lot of power that can be saved just by upping efficiency and investing in a more comprehensive transportation network, too, so the ever elusive 'negawatt' is a major player as well.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    As such, we require alternative methods of power production and ways to store energy for use in transportation. To give some basic numbers, the US currently uses around two times as much energy toward transportation as it does to generate electricity.

I don't see where you are getting that from, unless you are restricting the definition of 'energy' to 'oil' which really doesn't make much sense seeing how we barely use any petroleum based power plants.

Energy = Energy, no matter what form it is stored in; petroleum is just one form of chemical energy storage. The point is any alternative energy source, unlike fossil fuel, does not come 'pre-charged'. We have to charge it, and to do that we need electrical power. Both those links in the spoiler are measured in units of energy - BTUs and watt hours - which is more useful for determining a replacement than measuring energy in tons of coal or barrels of oil.

EDIT: I know we don't have really all that many power plants that run on petroleum, but the energy consumed by all of the engines in all of our cars is enormous compared to what is generated by any segment of our electrical infrastructure.

Emissary42 on
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Right now, we have to resort to nuclear. In order to keep ourselves from reaching 2 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels, we need to keep below 450 ppm, and in order to do that, output needs to peak in 2015-2020 and then drop rapidly.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Energy = Energy, no matter what form it is stored in; petroleum is just one form of chemical energy storage. The point is any alternative energy source, unlike fossil fuel, does not come 'pre-charged'. We have to charge it, and to do that we need electrical power. Both those links in the spoiler are measured in units of energy - BTUs and watt hours - which is more useful for determining a replacement than measuring energy in tons of coal or barrels of oil.

Yes, but utilities produce, and industrial/commercial/residential consume, far more than the transportation sector. Electricity generation is the ball game. The only reason that transportation is an issue is because there isn't really much of an alternative that has the same level of density which is as transportable as gas/diesel. And that is only really a problem due to the logistical implications on manufacturing and freight logistics that were built over time on the assumption of increasingly cheaper transportation costs which don't suffer shocks to the system very well. Plus things being streamlined where redundancy is out the window and any issue cascades on down the line.

moniker on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Diversify the portfolio as much as you possibly can, with as many sources as you can dream up. No single source of power is going to work for everyone, and if you try, you'll probably just break it.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Actually, the first link shows we use just about exactly the same amount of petroleum for all other uses combined as we do for transportation (lowest row in the chart). Now, not all of these are to be used as fuel, but the critical point I'm trying to get at is that transportation is the biggest problem. Without reliable means of both short and long-distance travel, trade and shipping becomes very difficult. To make up for this gap we do need a replacement source of energy for transport (ground, air, sea), and the energy consumed by the transportation alone is mindbogglingly huge. Existing petroleum already has that energy stored (thanks to a variety of dead critters, a few million years, and a lot of weight), whereas alternative fuels start out empty, and we have to put the energy in ourselves.

EDIT: My bad, the transportation sector uses slightly more energy than is produced by coal each year (50% of all electrical production). Original post will be edited as such.

Emissary42 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    EDIT: I know we don't have really all that many power plants that run on petroleum, but the energy consumed by all of the engines in all of our cars is enormous compared to what is generated by any segment of our electrical infrastructure.

That is simply not true. Like, at all.

moniker on
  • Options
    ACSISACSIS Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I recently read an interestin article about exploiting electricity generated by water/saltwater osmosis. I think thats a brilliant idea. Other brilliant ideas include tidal harnesses and geothermal energy.

All applications of nuclear power for energy generation seem like cutting butter with a chainsaw to me. Of course it works but its a bit overkill, no?

ACSIS on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

That is simply not true. Like, at all.

Ah! I see where we're mismatching. I was looking at numbers for only petroleum, whereas you were looking at total power consumption. Okay, that makes sense.
    ACSIS wrote: »
    I recently read an interestin article about exploiting electricity generated by water/saltwater osmosis. I think thats a brilliant idea. Other brilliant ideas include tidal harnesses and geothermal energy.

All applications of nuclear power for energy generation seem like cutting butter with a chainsaw to me. Of course it works but its a bit overkill, no?

I saw that as well, but it's a full-scale plant that can only generate as much power as is needed to run a coffee maker. On top of that, it needs immense amounts of freshwater to work. Neat idea, but much like fusion, of indeterminable value.

Nuclear power is the one of the few methods available to us that both generates the power we need while at the same time not producing the waste that we're most worried about. We have excellent methods of dealing with radioactive waste; carbon dioxide, not so much.

Emissary42 on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Zilla360 on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I have high hopes of Travelling Wave Reactors but the concept has yet to be prototyped.

Honestly, I think breeder reactors are a better solution than light-water reactors if we are going full-on nuclear, but people get twitchy about plutonium, so there's no telling whether it's politically viable.

I understand that Japan is experimenting with space based solar and microwave power transmission, which will be interesting.

japan on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Everything I've seen seems to indicate that nuclear energy is the perfect short-term solution. I've got two questions, though:

1) While it may be relatively easy to safely contain radioactive waste, how can we be sure that human negligence won't cause radioactive waste to be disposed of in an unsafe manner?

2) How do we convince people to accept a power source that is widely feared for the harmful effects of radiation?

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Question 1 is not actually an inherent problem of nuclear power (that youtube video is actually a pretty good primer), there are nuclear technologies we can use that produce much, much, less waste, and what waste they produce is relatively short-lived compared to what we're burying at the moment.

japan on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Third generation reactors are incapable of melting down, as I understand it.

In addition, replacing our coal power with nuclear creates several thousand tons of waste each year that is buried underground in the middle of nowhere. Coal power produces almost 40,000 tons of waste per day, and you breath that shit in.

override367 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Everything I've seen seems to indicate that nuclear energy is the perfect short-term solution. I've got two questions, though:

1) While it may be relatively easy to safely contain radioactive waste, how can we be sure that human negligence won't cause radioactive waste to be disposed of in an unsafe manner?

Regulatory agencies and safe checks, which isn't that big of a deal since if we switch over to breeder reactors the waste is really only harmful for a few centuries. We've carefully stored far more difficult things for far longer without any problems. I don't see why that would change anytime soon.
    2) How do we convince people to accept a power source that is widely feared for the harmful effects of radiation?

The cost of doing nothing is not zero. It's not as if people are clamoring to have a coal fired power plant put in their backyard instead of a nuke which is why those are going up so often. And in the numerous places where we already have plants people would love to see them expand. Those are good jobs and its not as if having 4 larger reactors is that much more of a blight than just having 2.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Third generation reactors are incapable of melting down, as I understand it.

In addition, replacing our coal power with nuclear creates several thousand tons of waste each year that is buried underground in the middle of nowhere. Coal power produces almost 40,000 tons of waste per day, and you breath that shit in.

Coal plants are also much more radioactive than old school nuclear plants, let alone pebble bed or breeders.

moniker on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    We've carefully stored far more difficult things for far longer without any problems. I don't see why that would change anytime soon.

Not challenging this, but rather actually curious, what things would you offer as examples? I'm having trouble thinking of things we've stored for a comparatively long time and they would seem to be useful in further debates on this issue.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Aegis wrote: »
    We've carefully stored far more difficult things for far longer without any problems. I don't see why that would change anytime soon.

Not challenging this, but rather actually curious, what things would you offer as examples? I'm having trouble thinking of things we've stored for a comparatively long time and they would seem to be useful in further debates on this issue.

Magna Carta. Gutenberg Bible. 800 and 500 year old pieces of baby sheep skin that require far more upkeep and active management than simply being encased in lead and concrete far away from a water table.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    The contents of the Giza pyramids stayed where they were for over 4000 years with people actively trying to get at them.

japan on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    japan wrote: »
    The contents of the Giza pyramids stayed where they were for over 4000 years with people actively trying to get at them.

Yeah, but we forgot how to put curses on things when our gods stopped having animal heads.

moniker on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Yeah, but we forgot how to put curses on things when our gods stopped having animal heads.

We obviously need deathtraps.

That way only Harrison Ford will be able to reach it.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Perhaps our containers for nuclear waste should be modeled after the Ark of the Covenant? Not only will they kill anyone who touches them, they also have the added bonus of completely vanishing from the face of the Earth after a few centuries.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Pata wrote: »

We obviously need deathtraps.

That way only Harrison Ford will be able to reach it.

That would be interesting for the engineers who have to work there.

215166650_YEaSq-L-2.jpg

moniker on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    After seeing this, I became rather partial to hydrogen fuel, at least for automobiles

Honda Clarity

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Lanz wrote: »
    After seeing this, I became rather partial to hydrogen fuel, at least for automobiles

Honda Clarity

Isn't the main problem with Hydrogen Fuel cells that the energy needed to produce Hydrogen mainly comes from fossil fuels, and is an energy-intensive process in general?

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Aegis wrote: »

Magna Carta. Gutenberg Bible. 800 and 500 year old pieces of baby sheep skin that require far more upkeep and active management than simply being encased in lead and concrete far away from a water table.

We can always put it where no one in there right mind would go.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atacama_Desert
    The Atacama is the driest place on Earth,[9] and is virtually sterile because it is blocked from moisture on both sides by the Andes mountains and by the Chilean Coast Range. A coastal inversion layer created by the cold Humboldt Current, and the anticyclone of the Pacific are essential to keep the climate of the Atacama dry. The average rainfall in the Chilean region of Antofagasta is just 1 millimetre (0.04 in) per year. Some weather stations in the Atacama have never received rain. Evidence suggests that the Atacama may not have had any significant rainfall from 1570 to 1971.[5] It is so arid that mountains that reach as high as 6,885 metres (22,590 ft) are completely free of glaciers and, in the southern part from 25°S to 27°S, may have been glacier-free throughout the Quaternary, though permafrost extends down to an altitude of 4,400 metres (14,400 ft) and is continuous above 5,600 metres (18,400 ft). Studies by a group of British scientists have suggested that some river beds have been dry for 120,000 years.[citation needed]

Some locations in the Atacama do receive a marine fog known locally as the Camanchaca, providing sufficient moisture for hypolithic algae, lichens and even some cacti. But in the region that is in the "fog shadow" of the high coastal crest-line, which averages 3,000 metres (10,000 ft) m height for about 100 kilometres (60 mi) south of Antofagasta, the soil has been compared to that of Mars. Due to its otherworldly appearance, the Atacama has been used as a location for filming Mars scenes, most notably in the television series Space Odyssey: Voyage to the Planets.

In 2003, a team of researchers published a report in Science magazine titled "Mars-like Soils in the Atacama Desert, Chile, and the Dry Limit of Microbial Life" in which they duplicated the tests used by the Viking 1 and Viking 2 Mars landers to detect life, and were unable to detect any signs in Atacama Desert soil. The region may be unique on Earth in this regard and is being used by NASA to test instruments for future Mars missions. The Team duplicated the Viking tests in Mars-like Earth environments and found that they missed present signs of life in soil samples from Antarctic dry valleys, the Atacama Desert of Chile and Peru, and other locales.

In 2008, the Phoenix Mars Lander detected perchlorates on the surface of Mars at the same site where water was first discovered.[10] Perchlorates are also found in the Atacama and associated nitrate deposits have contained organics, leading to speculation that signs of life on Mars are not incompatible with perchlorates. Alonso de Ercilla described the desert in La Araucana, published in 1569: "Towards Atacama, near the deserted coast, you see a land without men, where there is not a bird, not a beast, nor a tree, nor any vegetation" (quoted Braudel 1984 p 388). The Atacama is also a testing site for the NASA funded Earth-Mars Cave Detection Program.[11]
    By the time they are stupid enough to turn the desert into a tourist attraction, they should be advanced enough to realize it houses dangerous radioactive substances.

Couscous on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Question 1 is not actually an inherent problem of nuclear power (that youtube video is actually a pretty good primer), there are nuclear technologies we can use that produce much, much, less waste, and what waste they produce is relatively short-lived compared to what we're burying at the moment.

Aren't we also developing microbes now which love to gobble various forms of toxic waste up as well?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

[u rl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AUurBnLbJw]Honda Clarity[/url]

Isn't the main problem with Hydrogen Fuel cells that the energy needed to produce Hydrogen mainly comes from fossil fuels, and is an energy-intensive process in general?

ummm.... while technically not incorrect, the bigger point is that the actual hydrogen itself comes from fossil fuels. It's easier to convert natural gas into hydrogen + CO2 than it is to electrolyze water no matter where your input energy is coming from.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

Re: #1: Along with the newer technologies that produce less waste, don't the French recycle a certain portion of their nuclear waste, further reducing the amount of waste left? I seen to recall reading an article about that. Of course, I also believe there is a US policy that prohibits this process that would need to be changed... Anyone familiar with this?

Re: #2: Good marketing. The spectre of Chernobyl is, and quite unfortunately so, what causes public fear of nuclear power. Chernobyl was a problem with Soviet lack of safety measures, etc., rather than a reflection of actual safety/dangers of nuclear power plants. To a lesser extent, there is the spectre of Three Mile Island. But as has been mentioned previously in the thread, that's no longer a real issue with the latest technologies in nuclear plant design. I think it would be necessary to address both of these issues and clearly show why neither reflects on current nuclear technology.

Communicating the tremendous benefits of nuclear power versus what we're currently dealing with as well as presenting the positive examples of modern power plants will help convince people to accept nuclear power as an excellent alternative.

N1tSt4lker on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »
    Re: #1: Along with the newer technologies that produce less waste, don't the French recycle a certain portion of their nuclear waste, further reducing the amount of waste left? I seen to recall reading an article about that. Of course, I also believe there is a US policy that prohibits this process that would need to be changed... Anyone familiar with this?

France uses a lot of MOX, which is basically a mixture of fissile material designed to behave like processed uranium.

According to that wiki article, the US prohibits the reprocessing of reactor fuel for non-proliferation reasons (because it contains plutonium isotopes that could be used to build weapons).

japan on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    redx wrote: »

[u rl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AUurBnLbJw]Honda Clarity[/url]

ummm.... while technically not incorrect, the bigger point is that the actual hydrogen itself comes from fossil fuels. It's easier to convert natural gas into hydrogen + CO2 than it is to electrolyze water no matter where your input energy is coming from.

I'm still a fan of hydrogen because while it's easiest to get from natural gas (which won't run out for some time after oil runs out), it can also be obtained from electrolyzing - and there's no reason to suspect our ability to generate electricity in 50 or a hundred years will be inferior to what we have today, so when the gas does start to run dry it's not like we're out of options.

And really, the facilities to turn seawater into hydrogen fuel on a large scale really wouldn't be any more complex than a refinery that turns heavy crude into gasoline.

override367 on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Doesn't the methane to H and CO2 reaction mean you're just burning another hydrocarbon, as far as the environment is concerned?

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So the OP thinks orbital solar is viable and fusion isn't? Sorry I can't have sources, but I'm currently taking a class on energy conversion systems and just last week I heard a presentation about the economic feasibility of orbital solar. If done today, it would cost about $4,000 per kilowatt of energy it would produce. As a comparison, nuclear and hydro cost about $0.02 per kilowatt. In order to be economically viable it would need to be about $1.00 per Watt.

Not to say that it's never going to happen, but not for a long while. From what I've learned in this class, our best options are nuclear and high-efficiency solar. In my school's lab the professors are reporting efficiencies of 40% or higher in top-of-the-line solar cells. If we can make that work cheaply and in outside conditions, that equates to about 400 Watts per square meter at sea level peak. Combined with even more efficient batteries, that should certainly help alleviate our energy woes.

Keep in mind, however, that 400 Watts is a little more than half a horsepower. Assuming you get 200 Watts on average (between cloudy days and nighttime) you need about 3 m^2 for a single horsepower. For a 200 hp engine, that's 600 square meters of solar cells. So basically on an acre of land you could keep solar cells for 6-7 cars.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    There's also concentrated thermal solar plants, which have the advantage of not requiring vast areas of expensive and delicate photovoltaics.

I'd note that if you're building an electric car, 200hp seems like larger than necessary power output to aim for.

japan on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Keep in mind that presumably tractor trailers and the like would be running on this hypothetical new system as well. I think 200hp is probably a low-end estimate when you consider that.

EDIT: By the way, since there's talk of Hydrogen... it's no doubt a good idea, but electrolysis to create hydrogen from water is only about 10% energy efficient. Pulling Hydrogen off methane and other paraffin gasses is something like 90% efficient. So it'll take almost an order of magnitude more power to create Hydrogen "clean" than otherwise, though I do believe Hydrogen fuel cells are going to be way more efficient than IC or diesel engines, so there's that.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Gosling wrote: »
    Diversify the portfolio as much as you possibly can, with as many sources as you can dream up. No single source of power is going to work for everyone, and if you try, you'll probably just break it.

This. There's no reason we need to put all of our eggs in one basket. Put hydro power in coastal/river regions with strong tides, wind power on plains with a lot of wind, solar generators in places with a lot of sunlight, geothermal plants wherever they'll work, and nuclear plants anywhere people will allow them to be built. That way all of them will be operating in good conditions, and we'll make technological progress in all of them simultaneously.

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Orbital solar forms a much better long-term option than nuclear - primarily because the material needed to build such plants is much easier to obtain than even thorium for the variety of nuclear plants that run on it. I categorically oppose fusion because the technology to make a viable plant flat out doesn't exist, and you can't very well use a technology that doesn't exist. I favor nuclear plants for immediate/short term use, and orbital solar in the long-term.

The most critical factor to make orbital solar viable is you can't build them on Earth. They've got to be built in orbit, which requires several hundred billion dollars in investment. However, once the infrastructure is in place, the payoff is well worth it. A power generation technology that has an infinite fuel source, and is almost infinitely scalable. But it is unachievable without infrastructure already in orbit and on the moon to make them on-site.

I personally don't like hydrogen, because of the inefficiencies in electrolysis on top of the inefficiencies of the fuel cell itself, getting you only about 5% of the energy that went into making the hydrogen. Batteries and super-capacitors make much more sense in terms of efficiency, due to lower conversion losses in during charging and as you use the battery/super-capacitor.

Emissary42 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    To head off a potential "batteries aren't good enough" response:

MIT makes an electric car that can charge in 10 mins:
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/168834/mit_electric_car_may_rival_gas_models_on_performance.html

Breakthrough in rapid charging of Lithium batteries:
    http://arstechnica.com/science/news/2009/03/lithium-breakthrough-could-charge-batteries-in-10-seconds.ars

I have some personal experience with these new batteries (lithium nanophosphate). They're currently most easily found in dewalt power tools (the ones that charge in 30 mins), and have been available for several years. The robotics team I'm on is looking into using them next year in our battlebots; they're outside of our budget this year. The biggest downside for large vehicles (like cars) is that they use a lot of current to charge. However, if you rebuilt a gas station with massive battery or capacitor banks instead of underground fuel tanks that were trickle-charged by the grid, you could probably overcome the current demand issues.

Emissary42 on
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Terrendos wrote: »
    So the OP thinks orbital solar is viable and fusion isn't? Sorry I can't have sources, but I'm currently taking a class on energy conversion systems and just last week I heard a presentation about the economic feasibility of orbital solar. If done today, it would cost about $4,000 per Watt of energy it would produce. As a comparison, nuclear and hydro cost about $0.02 per Watt. In order to be economically viable it would need to be about $1.00 per Watt.

Not to say that it's never going to happen, but not for a long while. From what I've learned in this class, our best options are nuclear and high-efficiency solar. In my school's lab the professors are reporting efficiencies of 40% or higher in top-of-the-line solar cells. If we can make that work cheaply and in outside conditions, that equates to about 400 Watts per square meter at sea level peak. Combined with even more efficient batteries, that should certainly help alleviate our energy woes.

Keep in mind, however, that 400 Watts is a little more than half a horsepower. Assuming you get 200 Watts on average (between cloudy days and nighttime) you need about 3 m^2 for a single horsepower. For a 200 hp engine, that's 600 square meters of solar cells. So basically on an acre of land you could keep solar cells for 6-7 cars.

I think Japan was working on some orbital solar right now, which caught my attention because I had thought it was pretty far out there too. I read some stuff that suggested you might be able to build receivers that have relatively little land usage (they'd be something like a big antenna). That would make more since for a densely populated island nation than say, the US, where you could plop down some solar thermal plants in the desert.

Savant on