As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

my mid-2008 imac just crapped out!

Seaborn111Seaborn111 Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok so lately my imac has had issues starting up, sometimes requiring a start/shutdown about 4 times before it fully boots.

Today, i go to turn it on and get nothing but the gray screen.

throw in my snow leopard disc and try disc utility, the only thing that shows up is the disc drive. No harddrive to speak of.

So i've booked an appointment at the local genius bar for later today, but wanted to know if everyone thought this was the best bet. I am no longer under warranty. I am eligible to purchase apple care, but don't currently own it.

anything i should be doing other than showing up at the genius bar?

</bush>
It's impossible for us to without a doubt prove the non-existence of God. We just have to take it on faith that he's imaginary..
Seaborn111 on

• Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Just a question, how are you eligible to purchase apple care if you are out of warranty? I was under the impression you were only allowed to buy applecare in the first year of ownership (and therefore within the factory warranty)

Wezoin on
  • Options
    Seaborn111Seaborn111 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    i may be wrong, i thought it was 2 years. my bad

Seaborn111 on
    </bush>
    It's impossible for us to without a doubt prove the non-existence of God. We just have to take it on faith that he's imaginary..
  • Options
    proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, you need to get applecare within the first year of owning your computer

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Sounds like it's just the harddrive, take it apart and put a new one in there. You can do that for much less than Apple will charge.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    Count FunkulaCount Funkula Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The procedure might be a little intimidating if you aren't used to repairing computers, but you should be fine if you take things slow.

http://www.amfiteatar.org/content/view/155/57/lang,en/

Count Funkula on