As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Monitor Questions

XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
So I have to monitor questions, actually.

I recently upgraded my monitor to a pretty slick HP widescreen LCD. Not top of the line by any means, but it fit my budget, and I was using an old-ass (at least 10 years, probably more) Gateway CRT. That was top-of-the-line back in the day, it was designed for high-end graphic design, and it aged pretty well, but it was time for an update.

Anywho, I finally have a monitor that can do DVI! Yay! But now, every once in a while.. (Maybe once every 3/4 days) when it powersaves the monitor off, no matter what you do, when the computer wakes back up, the monitor won't come back on. I can search for signal, change inputs, blah-blah-blah, nothing.. The only way to get picture back is to unplug, and replug the DVI cable. Um.. Why?

Second question: My son-in-law is using a sanyo LCD TV for his monitor.. Looks real nice. Except again, every once in a while, when you switch it back to the TV input, the picture is -really- dark. The solution is to open up the "NVIDA Control Panel" or whatever and use the picture locations to adjust the picture back and forth a couple times, and then it looks fine. He's taken to just leaving the control panel minimized all the time, so it's there when he switches back to his computer.. I can't for the life of me figure out how to fix that.

Any help would be appreciated =)

Xaviar on

• Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Someone may have better (or more specific) advice, but my first thought on both issues is to run Windows Update (assuming these are PCs) and check if there are any updated hardware drivers available for the monitors and video cards. If not, then check the manufacturer's web sites for the latest drivers and install those.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Both are up to date, unfortunately =(

Xaviar on
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Stop using standby and switch to just using hibernate.

travathian on
  • Options
    Kroyd_KrensonKroyd_Krenson Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I have a question!

I use a LG LCD screen, model name is 2234 and than some letters. I use windowsXP.

I have this problem where if I turn off the screen or leave the computer alone for a long time, the screen goes off. This is the so called power saving mode. The problem is, it refuses to get out of power saving mode. Hitting a key/moving the mouse/whatever doesn't wake it. Last time it happened I actually bought a new screen because I figured it was something with the screen (Also plugging it into other computers didn't fix it). But now this happened with the new screen, and I can't go buying a new screen every time this happens. So, anyone has an idea?

Kroyd_Krenson on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I can't quite tell if you are mocking me or being serious =(

Xaviar on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I don't have an answer but I do have a question. I just picked up a Acer p 235H on the cheap but I can't get it to display properly in 1080p. The problem is that it's zoomed in, I guess it's overscan or something.

The OCD on this thing makes me want to stab my brain with a fork especially the icon that looks like it would contain options to fix this only has the option to change how long the OSD is up before it turns off. Even the manual that came on the CD has woderous descriptions like :
    1 Press the MENU key to bring up the OSD.
    2 Using the / keys, select Setting from the OSD. Then navigate to
    the feature you wish to adjust.
    3 The Setting menu can be used to adjust the screen Menu Language and
    other important settings.

Thanks Acer. I find it quite obvious what DDC/CI and ACM stand for. No need to explain.

Heeeeeeelp!

[edit]
    Well I finally found the overscan option in the ATI drivers but it seems to be a suboptimal solution since text clearly looks interpolated. Anyone have another idea?

[edit2]
    So this magically fixed itself. I came back to my computer and noticed black bands all around. Removing the overscan lined it up perfectly.

Really weird behavior for an LCD. I'm still confused as to what could have been going on.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Oh, snap! Now it's doing it again.

[edit]

Well I can reliably fix this issue by setting the underscan then turning the monitor off then back on. Cycling the monitor again will start the problem again.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    OllibolliOllibolli Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Have you tried using the "auto adjust" button/option that's present on most monitors?

It does sound like an overscan issue, but I'm not sure why overscan options would be present on a PC monitor. Are you using a VGA or DVI input? Is it possible for you to test with another display to determine if it's a display driver problem?

Ollibolli on