As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Brand new Ipod Touch... Apps won't run

StormwatcherStormwatcher BleghBlughRegistered User regular
So I got an 8GB iPod Touch as a birthday gift, and I'm already hating it.

At first, i got the ipod and started downloading free apps from the in-ipod store.

Those apps worked.

When I got that piece of rotten shit iTunes on my machine and used it to get more apps, because browsing the store in the ipod is torture.

Those new free apps didn't work, they just didn't start, like the title screen flashed and then went back to Home.

I tried deleting and redownloading both with itunes and the ipod.
No worky.

Then i did a system restore on the ipod and now NONE of the apps work.

Then I deauthorized and reauthorized, no deal. I also deleted all apps, synced without apps, then reenabled all apps and resynced. Nope.

Searching online, I found dozens of threads filled with hundreds of people with the same issue and no real solution. For more than one year! This is a really known and ignored problem. Top job there, Apple.

Guess the whole "it just works" is really some really overblown marketing buzzsentence after all.

Anyways, any new suggestions or solutions? I'm almost doing a crazy 4 hour reinstall of the OS i read about somewhere.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
camo_sig2.png
Stormwatcher on

• Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Restore without apps, bite the bullet, and download everything from the on-device app store? At least try one app and see if it's just the fact that you are syncing apps from itunes or not?

Xaviar on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Xaviar wrote: »
    Restore without apps, bite the bullet, and download everything from the on-device app store? At least try one app and see if it's just the fact that you are syncing apps from itunes or not?

Yeah, tried all that too. it doesn't matter if I download stuff with the ipod or itunes, nothing works.

BTW, is there any way to load the ipod with videos from my HD without buying them on the itunes store? I know I'd have to convert them, but how would I transfer the files?

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Xaviar wrote: »

Yeah, tried all that too. it doesn't matter if I download stuff with the ipod or itunes, nothing works.

BTW, is there any way to load the ipod with videos from my HD without buying them on the itunes store? I know I'd have to convert them, but how would I transfer the files?

iTunes. I transcode them and throw them into iTunes which then transfers them to my iPod. Sorry about the trouble though I have no idea on those problems. Mine has worked flawlessly for a year or so now. The device itself is locked down so you have to use something Apple to get items on and off. I had a friend with an iPhone get mad at me the other day because HE couldnt transfer pictures directly from his computer to his iPhone like a USB stick.

Its not my fault Apple locks down thier devices so bad. I just use my iPod to listen to music at work.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I got it fixed, I had to completely reset it, deleting all settings and files, then restarting it as a new ipod, instead of using the backup data.

But now I'm scared of using iTunes to control apps. No more app syncing ever again.

And yeah, i hate how totalitarian everything about the touch and itunes are. you can't do anything your way, it's all minutely controled. It's like being straightjacketed the whole time. The region locking is severe too, I have no access to buying music or video, just apps.

I mean, even sony gave us something much more free and cool with the PSP and PS3. You can just drop whatever files on the memstick or usb connection and Tada! And Sony is a major control freak. It doesn't feel like I own the ipod, it feel like it's just an apple storefront that you have to pay ludicrous amounts of money for the mere right of using it...

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    bashbash Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    1. If you're buying apps on the iPod and in iTunes you need to be using the same iTunes account, you can't have one account on iTunes and one on the iPod and still have app store stuff work. If you used two different accounts and then plugged the iPod in to sync apps it will get all screwed up. I buy apps on my iPhone half the time and in iTunes the other half of the time and I've never had problems.

2. The only requirement to load stuff on an iPod or iPhone is iTunes but not everything has to be purchased from the iTunes store and you don't even need to sync things. You can always click the "manually manage music and videos" check box. Then you can drag whatever you want onto the iPod in iTunes, you can even drag things not in the library.

3. The difference between treating a device as a USB stick and something a little more complex is the ability to have a rich metadata library that gets properly synced between the device and the computer. If you drag files onto a PSP's memory card the PSP doesn't know shit about those files other than their file names. You still have to use some sort of syncing app to get meaningful metadata to show up on the PSP. Sony has a media manager software and there's also third party apps to copy stuff to the PSP and write metadata. Sorting content by metadata is one of the better features of the iPod it's cheaper for your PC plugged into the wall to write the metadata library to the iPod than have the iPod waste its battery scanning through files, grabbing their metadata (if any) and then populating its database itself.

4. The iPods all use standard MPEG-4 files and have about the same codec support as the PSP. There's absolutely no requirement to buy videos or music from the iTunes store. You can pirate everything you want and put them on the iPod. It doesn't support DivX because it is a broken hacked together format that badly duplicates features .mov and .mp4 files have native support for. Look for MPEG-4 videos on torrent sites or pick up one of the dozens of video conversion utilities. Handbrake is free and will convert all kinds of files to iPod/iPhone compatible files.

bash on
    comi-sig1.jpg