As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Steven Seagal: Lawman [out for justice?]

RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
You may know Steven Seagal, world famous recording artist.

Seagalsongs.jpg

In his spare time, he became a master of aikido—an ancient martial art that is based on breaking guys' faces with cue balls, waving sticks around, slappy-hand fighting, bending other guys' elbows the wrong way, and repeatedly asking if anyone knows why Richie did Bobby Lupo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMu2xNBpyQc

He has also concentrated his awesome might and ability to imitate dialects into an energy drink.

lightningbolt-cans.jpg

What you might not know about Steven Seagal is that for the last 20 years he has been a deputy with Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office in Louisiana. Now his escapades will be documented by A&E in the hopes that all criminals will finally realize who they are up against and just give up. This promises to be the television event of the decade, or possibly the century if no one remakes The A-Team. Don't believe me? Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uji0bcMbUaQ

http://www.aetv.com/steven-seagal-lawman/

The show premieres tonight, Dec 2, at 10 PM. Join me here to discuss the latest awesome instances of slappy-hand fighting each week.

RUNN1NGMAN on

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I saw the ads for this, and thought it was an elaborate prank being played by VH1.

I don't know how I feel about it being real.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Tonight!??

I'm debating whether to stay up for this and it's 3.37....

Julius on
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It's like terribly uninteresting episodes of cops but with Steven Seagal spouting off mystical mumbo jumbo.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I think my favorite part was how he was showing off what a good shot he is--from 5 yards away. Second favorite part was when the guy driving the SUV told Seagal to just let him drive when Seagal was "telling him where the holes are." Third favorite part? Apparently Seagal is equipped with the detective vision from Arkham Asylum.

I get the impression that the theme of this show is Seagal rolling with two SUVs full of production crew and cops to keep him from getting killed, and arriving at already resolved situations so he can walk around and look like he's doing something.

Still TV gold though.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    I get the impression that the theme of this show is Seagal rolling with two SUVs full of production crew and cops to keep him from getting killed, and arriving at already resolved situations so he can walk around and look like he's doing something.
    This needs to be in spoilers.

Watching the show while knowing it's going to be I'm not going to ever get a chance to see Steven Seagal get murdered on my TV is just not as much fun as the anticipation I'd have otherwise.

GungHo on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Steven Seagal remains one of the greatest martial artists in the world, the fact that he's teaching his coworkers how to survive another day is pretty cool.

Robman on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    Steven Seagal remains one of the greatest martial artists in the world, the fact that he's teaching his coworkers how to survive another day is pretty cool.

This is ridiculous and insane.

I don't know how great a martial artist Seagal is, but he's widely renowned as being a world-class fucking asshole, and my sincere desire is that, at some point, Steven Seagal is shot several times on camera, preferably during some kind of live episode. That I would tune in for.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I watched this show. It is ludicrous.

First off, if I was being chased by Steven Seagal, and I turned around to get punched in the face by STEVEN FUCKING SEAGAL I'd flip my fucking shit.

Second, it's clear that his coworkers aren't reaaaaal enthused about him being all zen buddist at them. And the neighborhood that they're in frequently, which looks a lot like Agrestic from Weeds, doesn't look especially frightening at all.

Oh, also, HE'S PSYCHIC.

This show is ridiculous.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Everything in that preview was equal parts hilarious and seemingly overtly staged. Then again, I expected no less given the synopsis.

I'm particularly a fan of the Martial Arts display involving the guy in the gi who pretty clearly flipped himself over and functioned more like an actor playing the fall guy in a fight scene than anything else.

Segal's "teachings" look like they might get those guys hurt in a real life situation.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Second, it's clear that his coworkers aren't reaaaaal enthused about him being all zen buddist at them. And the neighborhood that they're in frequently, which looks a lot like Agrestic from Weeds, doesn't look especially frightening at all.

Well what are we supposed to do now that Life is cancelled?
    Robman wrote:

Salmon'd

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This is the best OP ever, by the way....

Also, I get the feeling that Steven Seagal will be the new Chuck Norris, beard replaced by ponytail...

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I think Seagal's Louisiana accent is even better than his New York accent.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    A deputy. For twenty years. Jesus.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Also, I get the feeling that Steven Seagal will be the new Chuck Norris, beard replaced by ponytail...

Steven Seagal Lever?

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Steven Seagal's movies are awesome, but he is, in fact, a world-class asshole.

Are they going to throw this up on Hulu or anything?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »

It already looks like it's been thrown up once.

Also, here's a video of Seagal running like a girl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkskuSXqUD0

Dissociater on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think if I ever met him I'd reflexively called him Mr. Seagull.

Or tell him how much I liked Hard Target.

firewaterword on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

He'd hit you so hard you would shit teeth...

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Phoenix SmasherPhoenix Smasher Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Gene LeBell choked him out causing Seagal to shit himself.

Phoenix Smasher on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think my favorite part was how he was showing off what a good shot he is--from 5 yards away. Second favorite part was when the guy driving the SUV told Seagal to just let him drive when Seagal was "telling him where the holes are." Third favorite part? Apparently Seagal is equipped with the detective vision from Arkham Asylum.

For a cop that might actually be some fairly decent shooting. You just have to remember that most cops are terrible shooters.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

I don't know, depending on how fat he is these days, I'd expect his flab to dissipate a good part of the blow.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Yeah I remember most stuntmen don't like working with him because he tends to hit full strength in fight scenes. Well and the fact he's batshit insane and thinks he works for the cia.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    "I CAN LIGHT A MATCH BY FIRING A PISTOL AT IT"

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Thomamelas wrote: »

For a cop that might actually be some fairly decent shooting. You just have to remember that most cops are terrible shooters.

What was most startling was that when the time came for the deputy's proficiency test, he was just shooting at a solid silhouette with no scoring rings. All he had to do was hit the body SOMEWHERE to pass.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

IIRC, Seagal already had his internet meme phase.

It didn't last very long.

subedii on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

What was most startling was that when the time came for the deputy's proficiency test, he was just shooting at a solid silhouette with no scoring rings. All he had to do was hit the body SOMEWHERE to pass.

Yes. Most departments don't exactly have the strongest standards for shooting qualification. I always find it funny when someone mentions "I only people with guns I feel safe around is cops" in the gun control threads because those tend to be the people I feel least safe around when they are carrying. Most cops only shoot a couple of times a year and that really isn't much practice at all.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This looks awesome (or at least badwesome).

Maybe I should drive over to Jefferson parish and see if I can spot them shooting. Combine it with the DARPA balloon day for that matter. :P

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/34238302#34238302

Steven Seagal appeared on the Today Show, and they aired a clip. Its a carjacking that the real cops have under control, and Steven arrives on the scene late. The suspect appears to be under control, but they still scream TAZE HIM TAZE HIM TAZE HIM. I can't tell if he was actually tazed, but it didn't appear necessary at all.

Classy.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Alecthar wrote: »

I don't know how great a martial artist Seagal is, but he's widely renowned as being a world-class fucking asshole, and my sincere desire is that, at some point, Steven Seagal is shot several times on camera, preferably during some kind of live episode. That I would tune in for.

Dude was the first American to be given permission to open up a dojo in Japan for his martial art, and aikido isn't exactly a small time deal. He may be an asshole, but he is absolutely one of the world's greats in his martial style.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Yeah, probably. I remember seeing him hit someone pretty hard in Time Cop.

firewaterword on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Yes. Most departments don't exactly have the strongest standards for shooting qualification. I always find it funny when someone mentions "I only people with guns I feel safe around is cops" in the gun control threads because those tend to be the people I feel least safe around when they are carrying. Most cops only shoot a couple of times a year and that really isn't much practice at all.

That scene reminded me a lot of my time in the army with those terrible fucking shooters. I didn't care so much in the Army as I figured they'd at least be mostly shooting at all enemies and accuracy wasn't so much an issue.

He did seemed to be practicing at the range that sorry qualification was held at. Regardless, it's not so easy to hit a q-tip even at that age.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Everyone is awful at shooting in real-life situations. Adrenaline makes hitting a man-sized target a real fucking challenge, especially with something as difficult to aim as a handgun

Robman on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Everyone is awful at shooting in real-life situations. Adrenaline makes hitting a man-sized target a real fucking challenge, especially with something as difficult to aim as a handgun

Yes. But most cops are terrible shooters at the range. Under stress the safest place to be is where ever they think they are aiming.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Alecthar wrote: »

Dude was the first American to be given permission to open up a dojo in Japan for his martial art, and aikido isn't exactly a small time deal. He may be an asshole, but he is absolutely one of the world's greats in his martial style.

First, that wouldn't make him one of the greatest martial artists in the world.
    Second, no he didn't. He married into a dojo which was run by his mother-in-law and wife. Its pretty well established that as well as being an ass hole he's a pathological liar.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Gene LeBell choked him out causing Seagal to shit himself.
    Actually, being suffocated can lead to the involuntary expellation of one's bowels as you lose conciousness. Which is why it's generally a nice thing if you go to the potty before you get on the mat...
    Preacher wrote: »

Yeah I remember most stuntmen don't like working with him because he tends to hit full strength in fight scenes. Well and the fact he's batshit insane and thinks he works for the cia.
    And, the whole thing with the family he abandoned in Japan (only after getting in good with the family in order to get all their techiques in order to come back to the states and open up aikido dojos) to practice bigamy with some soap opera actress. And then he cheated on that chick with Kelly LeBrock. Who he cheated on with his nanny.
    He married into a famous family in order to get the training... and then as soon as he got the training, he abandoned his wife and kids and left to come back to the US.

The only thing he's mastered is the art of finding attractive but dumb chicks who are willing to accept his penis.

GungHo on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    GungHo wrote: »
    The only thing he's mastered is the art of finding attractive but dumb chicks who are willing to accept his penis.

Which truth be told looking like Seagal, is kind of a feat worthy of rememberance.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I did like the he's covered in sweat and panting in every scene where he has to do more than walk.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Well, he is in Jefferson Parish, LA. In the summer.

GungHo on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    GungHo wrote: »
    Well, he is in Jefferson Parish, LA. In the summer.

The Devil's Armpit

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Seriously.

GungHo on