As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mm, New Computer Smell

InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Games and Technology
I'm about to unpack a brand new desk top computer tomorrow and it's been a while since I've owned my own PC, so...

I decided to start a new thread to learn and talk mainly about utilities (preferably free) that could help your desktop. Stuff like free anti-spyware/adware/virus software or office utilities like OpenOffice would be great. Sure, users that are foreign to the computing world (like me) could search up Google and explore; but nothing beats having people with real experience using the various software and good old discussion as to what is the best out there.

To sum it up, what are the best utilities/software that one needs (subjective of course) on their computer?

camo_sig2.png
Inzigna on

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    For media files, I usually use Media Player Classic, or VLC. MPC Tends to start faster and I prefer the interface, but VLC can often play some of the more obscure formats that MPC has trouble with (or say for example, can also skip ahead in .flv files where MPC just restarts usually).

subedii on
  • Options
    Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    AVG has a free version of their anti-virus which has always been pretty popular.

Mace1370 on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    for larger monitors VLC's scaling is shit (at least in my case) so I've started using SMPlayer. The only problem is occasionally I'll get video files with moderate to terrible stuttering, where the picture just freezes and the audio keeps going. Everything looks so much better in fullscreen with SMPlayer vs. VLC, though, that I always try the former first.

I think the consensus around is that Microsoft Security Essentials has become a pretty unobtrusive and clean antivirus for people who don't really want to screw around with it that much. It stays out of the way and doesn't draw a lot of system resources.

And of course, no computer would be complete without Steam.

freakish light on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Use this: http://ninite.com/

it's wonderful. Installs everything you need, customizeable, very few clicks required.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I use Foobar2000 to play music. It's nice because it doesn't run a shit load of things in the backround, doesn't take up a lot of memory, doesn't constantly connect to the internet for some reason or bug me for updates like certain other programs starting with 'Win', 'Real' or 'i'.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    ZeroNowZeroNow Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Aww I thought this thread might have been about the smell of freshly unboxed hardware which I loooove so much (yes I am sad, but tell me you disagree).

AVG is a MUST. I tend to get VLC player and the Combined Community Codec Pack so I can play anything through windows media player (better interface in some areas).

Then Steam ofc, MSN, Windows Live Mail desktop are pretty standard. Theres no reason me even mentioning them!

ZeroNow on
    Mortal+Avenger.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    SniperGuy wrote: »

it's wonderful. Installs everything you need, customizeable, very few clicks required.

Apologies for the late reply folks, was out to work. I find this little app amazing, and I was wondering why it isn't more commonly known. Or perhaps it's just me. :P

Regardless, just a question for you guys, what free anti-virus software is best? AVG seems to be more common, but I've heard good things about AntiVir and Avast. Should I not be concerned at all and simply choose the one that I prefer?

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    For my (video) media needs I use Media Player Classic as my player and FFDshow as my codec pack. Alternatively, the current Windows Media Player is actually quite nice as well (I'd recommend FFDshow either way), I just like MPC's loading speed.

[edit] I'm usually ping-ponging between AVG and Avast. Right now I use the latter, because of some problems updating the former at some point. Avast is pretty good, just make sure you disable the annoying noise it makes when it updates its database.

Glal on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Avast as well; the latest free home user version of AVG is starting to act too much like adware for my tastes.

Paint.NET.

VLC + some icon pack to replace the bizarre-looking default cone icons. MPC + some codec pack if you watch a lot of media in obscure encodings. MediaCoder to convert media from one format to another. You might not need all of these.

7zip + appropriate 7z.dll for icons.

Notepad++.

Some PDF reader - if you use Adobe Reader, turn off Adobe Javascript.

uTorrent.

ImgBurn to burn disks. Virtual CloneDrive to rip disks.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    KlorgnumKlorgnum Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    CCleaner
    Sequoiaview - Gives you a visual representation of all the files on your hard drive and how much space they take up. Really handy for tracking down missing hard drive space.

Klorgnum on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Klorgnum wrote: »
    Sequoiaview - Gives you a visual representation of all the files on your hard drive and how much space they take up. Really handy for tracking down missing hard drive space.
    As an alternative, JDiskReport. The nice thing about the pie chart graph (apart from being easy to gauge) is that you can just click on the segments to enter them, so it's very easy to see both what's the problem globally and locally.

Glal on
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    windows media player and use CCCP. this will allow you to stream all of your media to ps3 if you have one.
    utorrent for torrent
    peerblock to stop unwanted ips connecting to you.
    7zip for unpacking needs. not compatible with some rar files.
    avast for virus protection
    open office for free microsoft office replacement.
    Firefox, Chrome or Opera. they're all pretty great.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Glal wrote: »
    Klorgnum wrote: »
    As an alternative, JDiskReport. The nice thing about the pie chart graph (apart from being easy to gauge) is that you can just click on the segments to enter them, so it's very easy to see both what's the problem globally and locally.
    And if you like it oldskool, Spacemonger

zerg rush on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I used AVG for over 3 years, maybe even more, and it was great.

But recently it has been not too good. It let a virus right through, a deadly virus for XP systems, but harmless for Vista/7. Still, AVG never saw it on my external HDD. It's one of those viruses that infects EXE files, and just keeps on spreading. I plugged my HDD on an XP laptop (That had AVG as well) and on reboot it started to act weird, shutdown and then come back with a clusterfuck of system errors. That's how I knew something was wrong, and used Avast to scan my HDD and of course found several files infected with that virus.

Not too long ago, AVG once again allowed a virus to go through from my USB drive and that's when I had enough and switched to Microsoft Security Essentials. So far so good, it hasn't let anything through except some adware, which seems to have been installed by another program, but Malwarebytes picked it up and got rid of it.

So I'm recommending either Avast (Free, good protection, but has a horrible user interface) or Microsoft Security Essentials. AVG just didn't cut it for me anymore :(

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    Tooter-FishTooter-Fish Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I've been using J-Zip for a couple of years and have never run into any problems and I'm seeing most people recommend 7-zip instead. Any reason for that?

Edit: Why am I just now seeing this Ninite thing. I'm constantly reloading friends and family members PCs. Thanks for the tip on that.

Tooter-Fish on
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Install Ubuntu.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I get a lot of false positives with AVG(mainly attacking my spybot). BTW I like spybot and ad-aware, they're nice for cleaning up internet bloat.

For antivirus clamwin is ok. Kaspersky is also pretty good if you're buying.

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    cwoaccwoac Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The "well, duh" list of installs once a new machine has finished patching.
    av: security essentials
    compression: 7-zip
    web: firefox (+adblock, noscript)
    editing: vim (ok, so I'm old skool)
    av: cccp (once thats on, everything just plays.)

cwoac on
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    cwoac wrote: »
    The "well, duh" list of installs once a new machine has finished patching.
    av: security essentials
    compression: 7-zip
    web: firefox (+adblock, noscript)
    editing: vim (ok, so I'm old skool)
    av: VLC player (once thats on, everything just plays.)

Yep

joshgotro on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    I use Foobar2000 to play music. It's nice because it doesn't run a shit load of things in the backround, doesn't take up a lot of memory, doesn't constantly connect to the internet for some reason or bug me for updates like certain other programs starting with 'Win', 'Real' or 'i'.

I just started using this a few months ago and it is really nice. I have a pretty huge amount of music, and Foobar is the only player I could find that was functional, easilly modifyable, and most importatnly fast.

I had switched from Musikcube, which is also really great, but not quite as fast as Foobar.
    for larger monitors VLC's scaling is shit (at least in my case) so I've started using SMPlayer. The only problem is occasionally I'll get video files with moderate to terrible stuttering, where the picture just freezes and the audio keeps going. Everything looks so much better in fullscreen with SMPlayer vs. VLC, though, that I always try the former first.

Ooh, I just got a 1920x1080 monitor, so I might give this a try.

LewieP on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Music: Foobar2000
    Antivirus: Avast!
    Movies: MPC
    Internet: Google Chrome

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Install Ubuntu.

I actually ever wanted to install Ubuntu on a laptop just to see the hype over it, but I'm gonna leave the desktop as it is for now. Heh.

SequoiaView looks amazing, I'm going to have to try that out. Is IBM's Lotus Symphony favored over OpenOffice or are they both slightly crappy versions of Microsoft's Office Suite?

EDIT: I do have Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, but I was hoping I wouldn't have to waste an install since I won't be doing much office processing on this desktop. Hence the question about Lotus Symphony and OpenOffice. By the way, I've had some pretty bad OO experiences before, so I'd like to hear if IBM's solution is superior.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Inzigna wrote: »

Apologies for the late reply folks, was out to work. I find this little app amazing, and I was wondering why it isn't more commonly known. Or perhaps it's just me. :P

Regardless, just a question for you guys, what free anti-virus software is best? AVG seems to be more common, but I've heard good things about AntiVir and Avast. Should I not be concerned at all and simply choose the one that I prefer?

Are you running Windows 7?
    I've found Microsoft Security Essentials to be my favorite antivirus. Otherwise:

-lightweight music player: Foobar2000
    -More full-featured music player: Songbird
    -Video: VLC (CCCP + WMP works okay, but I really dislike the most recent WMP)
    -File Compression: I've always used AlZip, but I should probably give 7-zip another look
    -PDA reader: Foxit Reader
    -Web Browser: Chrome
    -Worst music player: iTunes

I've also grown to hate OpenOffice. The word processor is okay, but the spreadsheet program is a steaming pile of terrible.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I used to use Spybot quite a lot, but haven't yet on my current install. What do people think about it?

LewieP on
  • Options
    notmetalenoughnotmetalenough Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Are you running Windows 7?
    I've found Microsoft Security Essentials to be my favorite antivirus. Otherwise:

-lightweight music player: Foobar2000
    -More full-featured music player: Songbird
    -Video: VLC (CCCP + WMP works okay, but I really dislike the most recent WMP)
    -File Compression: I've always used AlZip, but I should probably give 7-zip another look
    -PDA reader: Foxit Reader

-Worst music player: iTunes

I've also grown to hate OpenOffice. The word processor is okay, but the spreadsheet program is a steaming pile of terrible.

Amen! Their spreadsheet program is nigh unusable. It is the sole reason why I went out of my way to buy a copy of Office for my new computer.

notmetalenough on
    Samael the Radiant Faced-- Official Naming, Going Nuclear, Click on the Quest, Make She Run and Guild Measurements Officer - Clawshrimp & Co, Draenor-US
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I tried using AVG recently and it slowed my PC down to a crawl and I had to uninstall. I might try one of the anti virus programs suggested here.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    LewieP wrote: »
    I used to use Spybot quite a lot, but haven't yet on my current install. What do people think about it?

I don't use it extensively, most of the time I just keep it on the computer I'm using, just in case. What I really like is the file shredder though, especially when I deal with documents (:winky:) that I don't want people to be able to recover. But I can't say for sure if it works since I've never tried recovering them. For all I know, the utility could be simple .gif of a shredding machine. D:

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Another vote here for Microsoft Security Essentials. It really does seem to be the best free option available by far, these days.

edit: download link

Atheraal on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Atheraal wrote: »
    Another vote here for Microsoft Security Essentials. It really does seem to be the best free option available by far, these days.

edit: download link

And from Microsoft too... Who'd a thunk it?

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    KarilmatKarilmat Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I, too, have just purchased a shiny new computer and found this thread very helpful. I'm not really up to date on the anti-virus software, though, and wanted to make sure that Avast and MSE will play well together if I download them both. Also, I assume both products are about as good as those one can purchase from, say, Kaspersky or BitDefender?

Thank you, H/A!

Karilmat on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I have tried using Microsoft Security Essentials and it's just like AVG, it's friggin huge and slows everything down massively. It's gonna have to go.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    LewieP wrote: »

I don't use it extensively, most of the time I just keep it on the computer I'm using, just in case. What I really like is the file shredder though, especially when I deal with documents (:winky:) that I don't want people to be able to recover. But I can't say for sure if it works since I've never tried recovering them. For all I know, the utility could be simple .gif of a shredding machine. D:

Why don't you run R-Studio on it to see if it's recoverable then? I have yet to have a hard drive fail or corruption that this program couldn't recover data from.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    leaf wrote: »
    Why don't you run R-Studio on it to see if it's recoverable then? I have yet to have a hard drive fail or corruption that this program couldn't recover data from.
    I'll see how that goes!

By the way, I posted this in the technology forum to no reply, and since it's to do with my new computer (alongside my journey to know more about computers), I thought I could sneak it in here:

"This may sound awfully dumb, but I've not been in the computing loop for a long time and found something that I wanted to clarify. I purchased a new computer that was to come with the 1792MB GTX 260, but upon running DxDiag, I was shown "Approx Total Memory: 489MB".

So my question is, is this normal or have I been cheated? And if it's normal, I would appreciate it if someone would explain to me why this is so. Apologies if this question sounds awfully stupid. "

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    EddieDeanEddieDean Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Install Ubuntu.

Absolutely this. It comes with everything you could want, and the means to get things not already installed is the easiest and clearest of any OS.

It's VERY friendly with dualbooting too, if you want to just try it out without changing Windows, or use Windows for games (as I do), and is the easiest OS to install.

I could go on and on about other ways it's user-friendly and otherwise excellent, but I find that people either care to know more or don't, so if you're interested then either a) do the above suggestion and try it out (it really is that easy to learn) or b) look online, the community's great, or c) ask me any questions and I'll be happy to help.

[Note: I was a long-time Windows user (admin level knowledge), have had plenty of (surface) experience with Snow Leopard, used Red Hat Linux at uni, and switched to Ubuntu Linux (as my main, like i say i still use Windows XP for games) two years ago and never looked back.]

Edit: Oh, and that ninite site is fantastic, definitely going to use it every time I reinstall XP.

EddieDean on