As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Best game system for game-deprived nieces and nephews? (Also, game recs welcomed.)

LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Today I was regretting that I don't have enough of a Christmas budget to buy my sister's kids a Wii or PlayStation 3 when suddenly I thought, "Wait a minute . . . I can get them an older system. It'll still be better than what they're playing now, i.e. nothing."

I scanned CraigsList and there are definitely affordable older systems out there. Now I'm pondering whether to get them a GameCube, XBox (regular, not 360), or PlayStation 2 (or something else?). Considerations would be which ones have the strongest library of kid-friendly games (I can probably sneak in some with not-too-graphic gore, but definitely nothing with sexual inneundo or strong language) and which have a lot of multi-player games. (Sis has 5 kids . . . Luckily she will be the one dealing with squabbles over "who gets to play next" and not me. I love being an aunt!)

Opinions on best system and games are needed! Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope!

LadyM on

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    GameCube

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    AnarchiaAnarchia Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm going to have to throw in a vote for the Gamecube as well.

I don't know about Xboxes, but PS2s had very few games that would support more than two people. In fact, the few games that supported more required a special attachment because the PS2 only has two controller ports.

Also, if they do upgrade to another console, backwards compatibility is much better for Wii-> Gamecube than the other two systems.

PS2 would have the largest library, though.....

Anarchia on
    SteamID : LizWiz
  • Options
    brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I second the gamecube idea. As for a game recommendations I like battalion wars (and so does my 6 year old). It's a little violent, but nothing you wouldn't see in a Roadrunner and Coyote cartoon; Smash Brothers Melee was a really fun game in it's time (and can occupy 4 out of the 5 kids if you have controllers).

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Agreed on GameCube. 4 players, many kid-friendly games, and some more mature fantastic games as well. Next up I would say the Xbox, there are enough decent party games on the system, and again, it allows for 4 players. Avoid the PS2, 2 controllers slots means it's more of a single-player system.

Also consider you'll need a memory card for the GC, but the Xbox has a harddrive built in. GC accessories like controllers and memory cards might still be expensive because they're all compatible with the Wii, same could be said for games.

If you're weighing on cost, I'm actually going to change my vote mid-post to the Xbox. All you need is the system and 4 controllers, no other accessories needed. The controllers and games are dirt cheap, especially at gamestop right now, I think they're just doing a continuous buy 2 get 2 free sale to clear out the stock. The systems are like $50 too.

It's got Super Monkey Ball 1&2 on one disc, plenty of sports games if they're in to that, Fuzion Frenzy, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, and a fair amount of other games I think would be suitable. It's got Halo 1 & 2, while there's violence if the kids are allowed to watch a PG-13 sci-fi movie, then it's on par with that. Consider that the system also has the best graphics out of the 3 from that generation as well, kids will enjoy that, and games hold up surprisingly well today. If your sister has an HDTV, then a set of component cables will help quite a lot, and most games have some form of 480p and higher or widescreen support.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    To add to my last post, quick search of Wikipedia for Xbox games (to be fair, a decent number of these are also on the GameCube):
    Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 1 and 2
    Burnout 3 and Revenge
    Dungeons and Dragons: Heroes
    Fuzion Frenzy
    Gauntlet: Dark Legacy
    Godzilla (2 of them, 4 player fighting games kids would enjoy)
    Grabbed by the Ghoulies
    Halo 1 & 2
    Justice League Heroes
    Kung-Fu Chaos
    Lego Star Wars 1 & 2
    Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
    The 2 multiplayer burger king games
    Star Wars Battlefront 1 & 2
    Super Monkey Ball Deluxe
    TimeSplitters 2 & 3

I've played most of those games above, I believe all of them have 4 player multiplayer, most of them are pretty good. There's probably a few in there rated T, but I don't know the age of your sister's kids (or gender) so it's hard to personalize. Still, they should be appropriate enough for those nearing ten, and they'll appreciate being able to play more grown up games (I know I did).

Again, for the sales and prices alone I would lead towards the Xbox. Depending on the games, they'll also be compatible with a 360 if that's in their future.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    GammarahGammarah Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The Gamecube is probably the best option, considering how much kids love Super Smash Brothers.

Gammarah on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    gamecube x 100

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Gammarah wrote: »
    The Gamecube is probably the best option, considering how much kids love Super Smash Brothers.

This, get the GameCube.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Game cube + mario cart + smash bros = happy nieces and nephews.

Just remember the peripherals like memory cards and pads.

Oh as a side note the sonic mega collection would be pretty cool for them too, tons of games in one.

Casual on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Thanks guys! I just scored a working GameCube off Craigslist for $20, which leaves me with about $80 for peripherals and games. :)

LadyM on
  • Options
    AwkAwk Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    smash bros and extra controllers and youre set!

Awk on
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    LadyM wrote: »
    Thanks guys! I just scored a working GameCube off Craigslist for $20, which leaves me with about $80 for peripherals and games. :)

Fantastic!

This also (down the line) makes a Wii a very awesome gift. As in, let them enjoy the GC for 2 years then pick up a cheap Wii.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Mario Kart Double Dash and Super Smash Bros Melee are probably the best recommendations, but I have some more if you still have money left over.

Mario Power Tennis
    Mario Strikers
    any Mario Party game
    Super Monkey Ball 1 or 2
    Warioware Mega Party Games
    Timesplitters 2 or Future Perfect (teen-rated violence)
    Bomberman Generation
    Wave Race: Blue Storm

You can probably find a lot of these games for 5 bucks or so in a bargain bin at game stop, so look around.

Food on
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Animal Crossing should be a must, especially with that many kids. There's a good bit of reading in the game, which is nice for kids of any age.

Saddler on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Acquired:

GameCube system ($20)
    Four controllers ($24)
    Smash Brothers Melee ($25)
    Memory card (came with system)

Budget left: $31

I'm poking around Amazon right now to see how far I can stretch the remainder. :mrgreen:

Oh, I didn't really address it before, but the kids' ages range from 16 to 3. (The three year old probably won't be allowed to play anything, which is for the best since there are only four controllers.) They're pretty sheltered and the parents won't allow the older kids to play a lot of games most teens could.

LadyM on
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    A Mario Party could be awesome.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg