As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

That's [New Moon], it's a Twilight Thread!

GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
The books by Stephanie Meyer:

Twilight
New Moon
Eclipse
Breaking Dawn
As Yet Unpublished Midnight Sun has been put on hold indefinitely while Stephanie Meyer works through some of her feelings over a portion of it being published illegally online. It's the first book retold from Edward's perspective.

Movies have been made of the first two. Eclipse is getting a movie next year.

Many people hate it. Many love it. Some with a burning passionate intensity. This thread is for discussing it, discussing its fans, and its related sub-media.

Greeper on
«13456714

Posts

  • Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Obligatory

    Stephaniemeyer.jpg

    Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

    Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So the first book is told from... Bella's perspective?

    I suppose I should get around to reading Twilight at some point.

    Passerbye on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    They're all told from Bella's perspective except Midnight Sun and parts of Breaking Dawn, which features Bella and Jacob's perspective.

    Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So why is she retelling from Edward's perspective?

    Are there parts in the first book where he's off somewhere and Bella doesn't know what/why he's doing things?

    Passerbye on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Passerbye wrote: »
    So why is she retelling from Edward's perspective?

    because she likes money

    Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Passerbye wrote: »
    So why is she retelling from Edward's perspective?

    Are there parts in the first book where he's off somewhere and Bella doesn't know what/why he's doing things?

    Yes.

    Also, throughout the first book he's struggling with his overwhelming desire to literally kill her and feast on her blood vs. his desire to get to know her more because he can't read her mind. So this is basically his side of their budding romance.

    Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    He... can't read her mind...

    So how is this different from the Southern Vampire series?

    Passerbye on
  • CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Passerbye wrote: »
    So the first book is told from... Bella's perspective?

    I suppose I should get around to reading Twilight at some point.

    My gf is reading it. She's been reading it for a long while. Why? According to her, she can only take so much brain death at a time.

    Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I saw this movie. I compiled, while watching it, 12 reasons why my mother has bad taste in things.

    whenever I thought of a new one, I had to lean over in the theater and whisper it to her.

    LoserForHireX on
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Passerbye wrote: »
    He... can't read her mind...

    So how is this different from the Southern Vampire series?

    It is the reverse

    in the Stackhouse books, Sookie can't read vampire Bill's mind, and there is a reason for this. In Twilight, the vampire Edward can't read Bella's mind because of some latent ability that apparently some humans have that doesn't really mean a damn until they're turned into a vampire, at which point it becomes a super power. For example, one member of the Cullen's coven has like super charisma because he had some charisma before he was turned or something. I dunno. Myer brings it up at one point and then just drops it completely.

    edit: and it's explained that Edward can read minds possibly because as a human he was extremely intuitive.

    Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The RiffTrax ribbing made the first film watchable, from a comedic perspective.

    I've tried reading the first book a couple of times, but I've never made it past the first 100 pages or so. I may make a concentrated effort sometime, if only to try and understand what is fast becoming a full-fledged cultural phenomenon (even with out every media outlet harping it as one).

    But perhaps I simply have the wrong plumbing, as I've yet to meet even a single male fan of the series. At least none of my friends will admit to it, if they are.

    BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The RiffTrax ribbing made the first film watchable, from a comedic perspective.

    I've tried reading the first book a couple of times, but I've never made it past the first 100 pages or so. I may make a concentrated effort sometime, if only to try and understand what is fast becoming a full-fledged cultural phenomenon (even with out every media outlet harping it as one).

    But perhaps I simply have the wrong plumbing, as I've yet to meet even a single male fan of the series. At least none of my friends will admit to it, if they are.

    One of my good friends from Canada wen't to the theatre once to see a movie, but he wasn't sure what movie to see. He saw that Twilight was playing so he and his friend decided to see it because he had heard a little about it. Since then he has become completely obsessed with it.

    I never miss a chance to ridicule him for it.

    Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

    Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Fluffy - No, I mean, Edward can't read Bella's mind, so he wants to like her.

    Sookie can't read Bill's mind so she wants to like him.

    Passerbye on
  • HKPacman420HKPacman420 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ugh, I despise the series. Am I the only one who thinks Anne Rice had it right when it came to vampires sexing? Hell, humans and vampires shouldn't be sexing at all.

    The only time a human should ever be near a vampire and not running for their life is when that vampire is asleep.... and they're about to destroy it's heart and remove it's head....maybe light the corpse on fire just to be sure.

    HKPacman420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Passerbye wrote: »
    Fluffy - No, I mean, Edward can't read Bella's mind, so he wants to like her.

    Sookie can't read Bill's mind so she wants to like him.

    That's why I said it's the reverse. This time the guy wants to get to know the girl, whereas with True Blood the girl wants to get to know the guy over telepathic blockage.

    Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Phil G.Phil G. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    The RiffTrax ribbing made the first film watchable, from a comedic perspective.

    I've tried reading the first book a couple of times, but I've never made it past the first 100 pages or so. I may make a concentrated effort sometime, if only to try and understand what is fast becoming a full-fledged cultural phenomenon (even with out every media outlet harping it as one).

    But perhaps I simply have the wrong plumbing, as I've yet to meet even a single male fan of the series. At least none of my friends will admit to it, if they are.

    One of my good friends from Canada wen't to the theatre once to see a movie, but he wasn't sure what movie to see. He saw that Twilight was playing so he and his friend decided to see it because he had heard a little about it. Since then he has become completely obsessed with it.

    I never miss a chance to ridicule him for it.

    Where does he live? I need to go and remove whatever testicles he has left.

    Phil G. on
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Passerbye wrote: »
    Fluffy - No, I mean, Edward can't read Bella's mind, so he wants to like her.

    Sookie can't read Bill's mind so she wants to like him.

    That's why I said it's the reverse. This time the guy wants to get to know the girl, whereas with True Blood the girl wants to get to know the guy over telepathic blockage.

    And the only difference between the two is what kind of supernatural ability is getting in the way?

    So there is actually no difference?

    I'm sort of trying to make a joke and clarify my own knowledge at the same time here.

    Passerbye on
  • StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Phil G. wrote: »
    The RiffTrax ribbing made the first film watchable, from a comedic perspective.

    I've tried reading the first book a couple of times, but I've never made it past the first 100 pages or so. I may make a concentrated effort sometime, if only to try and understand what is fast becoming a full-fledged cultural phenomenon (even with out every media outlet harping it as one).

    But perhaps I simply have the wrong plumbing, as I've yet to meet even a single male fan of the series. At least none of my friends will admit to it, if they are.

    One of my good friends from Canada wen't to the theatre once to see a movie, but he wasn't sure what movie to see. He saw that Twilight was playing so he and his friend decided to see it because he had heard a little about it. Since then he has become completely obsessed with it.

    I never miss a chance to ridicule him for it.

    Where does he live? I need to go and remove whatever testicles he has left.

    Good luck with that, he clearly already left them at the theater.

    Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
  • NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    www.mylifeistwilight.com

    I was bike shopping, and I had narrowed it down to two bike. One a city bike; silver, and slender and the other a brown, mountain bike made for the outdoors. I suddenly made the connection between the bikes and twilght! I couldn't decide which bike to get until I remembered Bella always chose Edward

    D:

    NeoToma on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    Passerbye wrote: »
    He... can't read her mind...

    So how is this different from the Southern Vampire series?

    It is the reverse

    in the Stackhouse books, Sookie can't read vampire Bill's mind, and there is a reason for this. In Twilight, the vampire Edward can't read Bella's mind because of some latent ability that apparently some humans have that doesn't really mean a damn until they're turned into a vampire, at which point it becomes a super power. For example, one member of the Cullen's coven has like super charisma because he had some charisma before he was turned or something. I dunno. Myer brings it up at one point and then just drops it completely.

    edit: and it's explained that Edward can read minds possibly because as a human he was extremely intuitive.

    Which doesn't really make any sense, especially given that my girlfriend tells me that there are even more potent powers featured and intuitiveness is supposed to be the basis of the character who can maybe see the future (the most powerful female vampire, followed by the chick whose power is being really hot). What kind of personal features give Pyrokinesis? Who knows. I just want to know what kinds of powers Ladd Russo and Vino/The Rail Tracer/ The Crazy Son-of-a-Bitch Formerly Known as Clair would get.

    If I was a vampire with psychic powers and found somebody immune, my bloodthirsty instincts and my scientific instincts would team up to beat my humanity and make my lock her up and run experiments.

    I also want this.

    Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Passerbye wrote: »
    Passerbye wrote: »
    Fluffy - No, I mean, Edward can't read Bella's mind, so he wants to like her.

    Sookie can't read Bill's mind so she wants to like him.

    That's why I said it's the reverse. This time the guy wants to get to know the girl, whereas with True Blood the girl wants to get to know the guy over telepathic blockage.

    And the only difference between the two is what kind of supernatural ability is getting in the way?

    So there is actually no difference?

    I'm sort of trying to make a joke and clarify my own knowledge at the same time here.

    Just saying the genders are switched is all. With True Blood she can't read any vamps mind, though, while in Twilight is only Bella whose mind he can't read. Then later we find out the reason for that is (I doubt anyone here cares about spoilers for this, but you never know, so):
    Apparently some people have latent abilities as humans that come out as vampires. Edward was intuitive as a human, so as a vampire he can read minds; Alice had visions or something as a human, and as a vamp can read the future; Carlisle was raised to abhor what vampires did and did not lust after blood after he turned vamp. In Bella's case, as a human she's immune to psychic attacks, so Edward's telepathy doesn't work, Jane's ability to make people feel pain doesn't work, and Alec's ability to block the senses doesn't work.

    When she turns into a vampire, not only is she still immune, she can also expand her ability within a controlled field, which renders everyone within that field invulnerable to those same attacks. She can also nullify the field entirely, making herself vulnerable. Other vampires can train/upgrade their abilities as well.

    Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Phil G. wrote: »
    The RiffTrax ribbing made the first film watchable, from a comedic perspective.

    I've tried reading the first book a couple of times, but I've never made it past the first 100 pages or so. I may make a concentrated effort sometime, if only to try and understand what is fast becoming a full-fledged cultural phenomenon (even with out every media outlet harping it as one).

    But perhaps I simply have the wrong plumbing, as I've yet to meet even a single male fan of the series. At least none of my friends will admit to it, if they are.

    One of my good friends from Canada wen't to the theatre once to see a movie, but he wasn't sure what movie to see. He saw that Twilight was playing so he and his friend decided to see it because he had heard a little about it. Since then he has become completely obsessed with it.

    I never miss a chance to ridicule him for it.

    Where does he live? I need to go and remove whatever testicles he has left.

    New Brunswick, trust me, you don't want to go there.

    Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

    Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ok, the abilities thing sounds pretty cool.

    I'll see about grabbing Twilight after I finish my current book load.

    Passerbye on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    Passerbye wrote: »
    Passerbye wrote: »
    Fluffy - No, I mean, Edward can't read Bella's mind, so he wants to like her.

    Sookie can't read Bill's mind so she wants to like him.

    That's why I said it's the reverse. This time the guy wants to get to know the girl, whereas with True Blood the girl wants to get to know the guy over telepathic blockage.

    And the only difference between the two is what kind of supernatural ability is getting in the way?

    So there is actually no difference?

    I'm sort of trying to make a joke and clarify my own knowledge at the same time here.

    Just saying the genders are switched is all. With True Blood she can't read any vamps mind, though, while in Twilight is only Bella whose mind he can't read. Then later we find out the reason for that is (I doubt anyone here cares about spoilers for this, but you never know, so):
    Apparently some people have latent abilities as humans that come out as vampires. Edward was intuitive as a human, so as a vampire he can read minds; Alice had visions or something as a human, and as a vamp can read the future; Carlisle was raised to abhor what vampires did and did not lust after blood after he turned vamp. In Bella's case, as a human she's immune to psychic attacks, so Edward's telepathy doesn't work, Jane's ability to make people feel pain doesn't work, and Alec's ability to block the senses doesn't work.

    When she turns into a vampire, not only is she still immune, she can also expand her ability within a controlled field, which renders everyone within that field invulnerable to those same attacks. She can also nullify the field entirely, making herself vulnerable. Other vampires can train/upgrade their abilities as well.

    She's Matt Couthon, except a whiny little bitch, then?

    Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    it's funny
    for diehard fans they don't even know when the movie comes out?

    Local H Jay on
  • Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Passerbye wrote: »
    Passerbye wrote: »
    Fluffy - No, I mean, Edward can't read Bella's mind, so he wants to like her.

    Sookie can't read Bill's mind so she wants to like him.

    That's why I said it's the reverse. This time the guy wants to get to know the girl, whereas with True Blood the girl wants to get to know the guy over telepathic blockage.

    And the only difference between the two is what kind of supernatural ability is getting in the way?

    So there is actually no difference?

    I'm sort of trying to make a joke and clarify my own knowledge at the same time here.

    Just saying the genders are switched is all. With True Blood she can't read any vamps mind, though, while in Twilight is only Bella whose mind he can't read. Then later we find out the reason for that is (I doubt anyone here cares about spoilers for this, but you never know, so):
    Apparently some people have latent abilities as humans that come out as vampires. Edward was intuitive as a human, so as a vampire he can read minds; Alice had visions or something as a human, and as a vamp can read the future; Carlisle was raised to abhor what vampires did and did not lust after blood after he turned vamp. In Bella's case, as a human she's immune to psychic attacks, so Edward's telepathy doesn't work, Jane's ability to make people feel pain doesn't work, and Alec's ability to block the senses doesn't work.

    When she turns into a vampire, not only is she still immune, she can also expand her ability within a controlled field, which renders everyone within that field invulnerable to those same attacks. She can also nullify the field entirely, making herself vulnerable. Other vampires can train/upgrade their abilities as well.


    ..Geeze the way you describe it like that you kinda make it look appealing.

    Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

    Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Phil G.Phil G. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    Phil G. wrote: »
    The RiffTrax ribbing made the first film watchable, from a comedic perspective.

    I've tried reading the first book a couple of times, but I've never made it past the first 100 pages or so. I may make a concentrated effort sometime, if only to try and understand what is fast becoming a full-fledged cultural phenomenon (even with out every media outlet harping it as one).

    But perhaps I simply have the wrong plumbing, as I've yet to meet even a single male fan of the series. At least none of my friends will admit to it, if they are.

    One of my good friends from Canada wen't to the theatre once to see a movie, but he wasn't sure what movie to see. He saw that Twilight was playing so he and his friend decided to see it because he had heard a little about it. Since then he has become completely obsessed with it.

    I never miss a chance to ridicule him for it.

    Where does he live? I need to go and remove whatever testicles he has left.

    New Brunswick, trust me, you don't want to go there.

    I have to anyways, but that's another story, for another thread.

    Phil G. on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Passerbye wrote: »
    Ok, the abilities thing sounds pretty cool.

    I'll see about grabbing Twilight after I finish my current book load.

    The ability thing is the only cool thing. The only cool thing. And it only goes in-depth about abilities in the last book which is all-around batshit crazy.

    Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Passerbye wrote: »
    Passerbye wrote: »
    Fluffy - No, I mean, Edward can't read Bella's mind, so he wants to like her.

    Sookie can't read Bill's mind so she wants to like him.

    That's why I said it's the reverse. This time the guy wants to get to know the girl, whereas with True Blood the girl wants to get to know the guy over telepathic blockage.

    And the only difference between the two is what kind of supernatural ability is getting in the way?

    So there is actually no difference?

    I'm sort of trying to make a joke and clarify my own knowledge at the same time here.

    Just saying the genders are switched is all. With True Blood she can't read any vamps mind, though, while in Twilight is only Bella whose mind he can't read. Then later we find out the reason for that is (I doubt anyone here cares about spoilers for this, but you never know, so):
    Apparently some people have latent abilities as humans that come out as vampires. Edward was intuitive as a human, so as a vampire he can read minds; Alice had visions or something as a human, and as a vamp can read the future; Carlisle was raised to abhor what vampires did and did not lust after blood after he turned vamp. In Bella's case, as a human she's immune to psychic attacks, so Edward's telepathy doesn't work, Jane's ability to make people feel pain doesn't work, and Alec's ability to block the senses doesn't work.

    When she turns into a vampire, not only is she still immune, she can also expand her ability within a controlled field, which renders everyone within that field invulnerable to those same attacks. She can also nullify the field entirely, making herself vulnerable. Other vampires can train/upgrade their abilities as well.


    ..Geeze the way you describe it like that you kinda make it look appealing.
    something tells me that the stuff contained in that short little summary is probably dragged out over hundreds of pages and is written in a way that makes it complete dogshit.

    or, its probably the only good thing about the book, and it was probably taken from something else entirely
    ug, i just posted in a twilight thread

    ronzo on
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Passerbye wrote: »
    Ok, the abilities thing sounds pretty cool.

    I'll see about grabbing Twilight after I finish my current book load.

    The ability thing is the only cool thing. The only cool thing. And it only goes in-depth about abilities in the last book which is all-around batshit crazy.

    Ehn, I'll still give it a chance. I've got such eclectic tastes that I might actually like it. Won't know until I read it.

    Passerbye on
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Passerbye wrote: »
    Fluffy - No, I mean, Edward can't read Bella's mind, so he wants to like her.

    What? That's not true. It's what gives him a vague passing interest in her, and for a long time after that it's him wanting to kill her. When they first meet in class, it's explained in Midnight Sun that he barely controls himself from doing so, figuring that he'll have to kill the class first before he gets to her, snapping four or five necks a second. But then he thinks someone might reach the door, so he'd have to kill them and whoever in the corridor saw them... and for the rest of the class he spends his time planning how to kill everyone in the school. His family have a meeting about it - Jasper, Emmett and Rosalie want to kill her. Jasper offers to kill her several times just because she is bothering Edward.

    Yeah, I'm a fan, I don't care what you think :P

    Mostly I'm a fan of the world she's created. It's vampires crossed with Xmen. Of course, she's a crappy enough writer to screw up the potential awesomeness - the fantastic stand-off in Breaking Dawn ends in everyone talking for a while, and then that's it. When she describes Jasper as a lightning whirlwind of death on the battlefield, it's just pouring salt into the wound. I hope we get to see the fighting between the Cullens, wolves and newborn in Eclipse, instead of having Edward explain from the pack's perspective.

    They're in talks to get the fourth book turned into a film (they only had a three film contract). I'm interested to see how this goes, considering how disgusting the book gets.
    Bella's vampiric spawn has an amniotic sac so tough an x-ray can't penetrate it. When it kicks it cracks her ribs, and at one point her spine breaks. Edward cuts open her uterus with his teeth, because nothing else is strong enough. Jacob then "imprints" on the freaky baby which will grow to seventeen, stop growing and be his partner for life.

    What the fuck.

    Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

    Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    As a guy who read through the series, I will say right now it gets a shit load of grief from a lot of people who haven't actually touched the books and have just heard snippets here and there. Which isn't a defense of the series - quite frankly New Moon is one of the worst books I've ever read, as it's basically just Bella depressed and doing crazy dangerous shit because it makes her hear Edward's voice in her head (which isn't an ability, she's just nuts).

    Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It's definitely one of the easiest, and trendiest, things to trash. It's absolute cannon fodder.

    Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

    Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    How it deals with sexuality is just awful. And the kind of romance it glorifies is really fucked up. And every fight is a cocktease. And most of the characters are bad. There are a lot of things to criticize when it comes to Twilight, but the people who jump on the hate bandwagon without reading the books aren't really aware of that, and fans ignore it, so it's damn near impossible to really discuss the series.

    Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    To be fair it appears to me the fans, especially the rabid fans, haven't read a whole hell of alot and therefore don't know what really good writing is. Nor would care to take the time to try to read something a little more complex.

    Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So true. I'm glad Meyer has no input into the films because at least they're ramping the action up a bit. There was no Edward/Felix fight in the book, even Meyer said she wished she'd thought of it. She's not a good writer at all, but the world she's created is an interesting one.
    Staxeon wrote:
    To be fair it appears to me the fans, especially the rabid fans, haven't read a whole hell of alot and therefore don't know what really good writing is. Nor would care to take the time to try to read something a little more complex.

    Yeah, the fans make it such an easy target. Goddamn, they are so annoying. Older women screaming at half-naked teenage boys on the screen? Ffs.

    Twilight_Moms_by_InLoveWitEdwardC-600x450.jpg

    Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

    Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Rohan wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm a fan, I don't care what you think :P

    Hey, relax. I haven't read the books so, as I already mentioned, I'm not going to judge.

    I remember when people were ragging on the Harry Potter series. I thought that was funny until I read it and loved it.

    Like I said, I'll at least read Twilight. I might even like it, I don't know.

    Passerbye on
  • DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ill probably get some flak for this but I actually liked the Twilight movie. Knew absolutely nothing about it going in with some friends and I have to say I laughed my ass off all the way through. It was like some kinda twisted dark comedy, where once you peel off the ZOMG Its so ROMANTICK it just worked. I walked out of there thinking this is what happens when you give a emo kid 10 minutes with bram stokers dracula and then have him write you a vampire story.

    The "Im a predator, everything about me blah blah glitter" speech was just beautiful. The fact the actor would make it through it without a terminal case of the giggles is an accomplishment. I mean who the fuck could take that seriously. There were just so many moments in the thing that were so absurd. The sad part is people do take this shit seriously.

    I mean if I walked up to a girl and said "You make me want to encase me hair in gel, douse myself in glitter, and break into your house and watch you sleep." I would probably be arrested. However if i was a vampire I would get the horny jailbait to follow me around begging me to kill her for the rest of time. Or until i showered, shedding my glittery exterior.

    Hell I loved the fact that everyone in town KNEW they were vampires. The tribe knew it, the sheriff knew it, pretty much every character knew the score, and yet the daughter has to run away because no one would believe her. The scene with the dad cleaning the shotgun was gold. I mean fuck had anyone taken 10s to tell the dad what was going on he would have just dumped her on the reservation. Problem solved.

    I doubt I would watch the movie more than twice, and I would certainly not kick anyones ass for hating it. However once I stopped taking it seriously I rather enjoyed it.

    Detharin on
  • Phil G.Phil G. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    Passerbye wrote: »
    Rohan wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm a fan, I don't care what you think :P

    Hey, relax. I haven't read the books so, as I already mentioned, I'm not going to judge.

    I remember when people were ragging on the Harry Potter series. I thought that was funny until I read it and loved it.

    Like I said, I'll at least read Twilight. I might even like it, I don't know.

    Well Harry Potter had somewhat decent writing, with decent characters. Stephen King likes Harry Potter. Stephen King hates Twilight.

    Phil G. on
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Passerbye wrote: »
    Rohan wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm a fan, I don't care what you think :P

    Hey, relax. I haven't read the books so, as I already mentioned, I'm not going to judge.

    I remember when people were ragging on the Harry Potter series. I thought that was funny until I read it and loved it.

    Like I said, I'll at least read Twilight. I might even like it, I don't know.

    I wasn't talking to anyone here, just to anyone who knows me and might see my post :)

    Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

    Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
Sign In or Register to comment.