Options

Action games where you don't have to kill?

KlorgnumKlorgnum Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Games and Technology
I was playing Mirror's Edge last night and thinking about how much I enjoyed getting around the cops instead of directly engaging them and being able to disarm them instead of having an extended fight. It got me wondering, what are some other action-y games where you don't have to (or can't) kill the enemies?

Just to take care of the obvious, I already know of:
Iji
Deus Ex
Thief
Arkham Asylum

Klorgnum on

• Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Urban Chaos.
    The old one where you play a police officer, not the PS2 one.
    Make sure to get the PC version.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Metal...Gear!?!

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    alset85alset85 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    SWAT 4

Edit to elaborate: The definitive non-lethal takedown experience.

pepper spray?..........Check
    taser gun?...............Check
    beanbag shotgun?............Check
    pepper paintball gun?...........Check
    stinger, flashbang and gas grenades?.......Check
    yell in their faces and hit'em in the ribs with the butt of your rifle?............Check and Check

alset85 on
    override said: I can't wait until Toady causes pressurized water to be able to actually damage things. I want to hit goblins with a shit cannon of such pressure that the meat is ripped from their bones

Steam ID
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You don't have to kill dudes in Splinter Cell, do you?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    the original splinter cell was so tight on ammo that if you used your guns at times where you could use stealth you'd end up with no ammo for when you needed it, so you ended up having to bean guys in the head with the camera gun just because you can pick it back up afterwards.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Rocket Slime for the DS. Despite generally being a hack-and-slash when you weren't in a tank battle, the best option for most enemies was not to kill them, but to whack them once, stack them on your head, and carry them to a rail cart to ship them back to town. Which makes perfect sense.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    .... Sneak King?

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Beyond Good and Evil.

Kinda

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hitman? Sort of?

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Gonna second Metal Gear Solid (3 especially) here. You don't even have to use lethal force on most BOSSES.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Last MGS game you actually had to kill a boss in is the first version of MGS. It's still violent behavior by proxy though. You can only get so far by sneaking, though that is very far indeed.
    You do Kill The Boss in Snake Eater of course, but not during a Boss Fight.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Just had a flashback to when Siphon Filter's tazer set people on fire.

Sly cooper?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    Hitman? Sort of?

Actually, yeah, this.

You only have to kill the targets of each mission; everyone else in the way can be knocked out/tranquilised, and you get a better "rating" for being stealthy and only nabbing the targets.

(Disclaimer: I've only played Blood Money, so I'm not sure how it goes in the others. Worth checking out, though.)

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    Hitman? Sort of?

you still have to kill your targets but you can do it without killing anyone else or even having them know your there, so awesome.

edit: i should read more, but yeah its like that in all the others, even the first one i think but it was much harder to do, i managed to get silent assassian rating in every mission of hitman2, it was fucking insane.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    0blique0blique Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It's really more 3 and 4 that let you do this and reward you for killing only the target and using as much "stealth as possible". In 1 and 2 there's a few times where you have to kill a lot of people indiscriminately.

0blique on
  • Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Mirror's Edge.

And while you may not kill people in Arkham Asylum, you've certainly ruined some lives. That goon who you strangled into unconsciousness is going to be very paralyzed for the rest of his life once his body hits the ground 100 feet later.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Mirrors Edge you can go through the whole game using only hand to hand combat if you realy need to. I assume she only knocks them out but I could be wrong.

You must have posted the instant I started reading the tread.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited December 2009
    The only person you'll kill if you play through mirror's edge without guns is yourself.

Tube on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It takes some script editing, but you can take all the pedestrians out of Carmageddon 2 and have a very nice offensive driving simulation game.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    The carmageddon games sans pedestrians would be kick ass.

Tube on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    I think that when Carmageddon 2 was released in Germany, all the pedestrians were replaced with zombies.

So that version of the game doesn't have you kill anyone per se, because the zombies are already dead.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    0blique wrote: »
    It's really more 3 and 4 that let you do this and reward you for killing only the target and using as much "stealth as possible". In 1 and 2 there's a few times where you have to kill a lot of people indiscriminately.

not true with 2 apart from the last mission which isn't really a mission just like in 3 and 4

1 maybe more then others.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'm not 100% you can remove them (I haven't touched the scripts in years), but there is a cheat that makes pedestrians impervious.

From a random cheat code site:
    Cheat Codes[1]

While playing the game, enter one of the following codes to activate the corresponding cheat function:
    [...]
    Immortal pedestrians angelmolesters

And I think you can give them a ton of HP (through the pedestrian script) so they're essentially invulnerable.
    Honk wrote: »
    I think that when Carmageddon 2 was released in Germany, all the pedestrians were replaced with zombies.

So that version of the game doesn't have you kill anyone per se, because the zombies are already dead.

That can be enabled with the -german command line switch (according to a random website, but it makes sense).

[1]The code to enable cheats is "lapmylovepump." The people who made this game are still among my favorite.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

not true with 2 apart from the last mission which isn't really a mission just like in 3 and 4

In 1 there are no non lethal takedowns, if someone walks in on you the only option you have is to shoot them. I think the only balls out action section is the last level, which is more of a puzzle to find a sufficiently boss weapon. The *spit*second game had a ranking system that encouraged you not to kill people but the level design did not sufficiently support it and this added feature was balanced out by the fact that it was the worst game in the history of time.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

In 1 there are no non lethal takedowns, if someone walks in on you the only option you have is to shoot them. I think the only balls out action section is the last level, which is more of a puzzle to find a sufficiently boss weapon. The *spit*second game had a ranking system that encouraged you not to kill people but the level design did not sufficiently support it and this added feature was balanced out by the fact that it was the worst game in the history of time.

You couldn't be more wrong.

Besides worst game in the history of time award goes to Shadowman 2.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Regardless of difficulty the second in the hitman series is unintentionally balanced to make standing in a corner with a machine gun the best way to complete any mission.

Anyway, the older SWAT games also encouraged arrests over killing people and are fairly good if you have patience to play them that way.

Honk on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Oh and Deus Ex 2, you mentioned the first but the second game is of course also playable in this fashion.

Commandos games as well, particularly Commandos 2 (with the added feature to knock anyone out and tie them up), apart from specific targets that you are tasked with killing. Most missions are about blowing pieces of equipment up though, I recall only one mission where you are tasked with an assassination.

Honk on
  • Options
    MctittlesMctittles Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear
    Ok, you do kill in the game most levels but some you have to either disable the enemy through non-lethal weapons or avoid detection all together.
    Some other Rainbow Six games have this as well, just mentioning Rogue Spear because it was my favorite of the bunch.

Mctittles on
    I see what you did there last summer.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Mctittles wrote: »
    Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear
    Ok, you do kill in the game most levels but some you have to either disable the enemy through non-lethal weapons or avoid detection all together.
    Some other Rainbow Six games have this as well, just mentioning Rogue Spear because it was my favorite of the bunch.

Rogue Spear is great, especially if you play co-op. It is the best co-op game ever.

Honk on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

I'm willing to accept that as a hypothetical in the same way that I am willing to accept the possibility of time travel. A game that's worse than Hitman 2 is something that I can only see existing in science fiction novels.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

I'm willing to accept that as a hypothetical in the same way that I am willing to accept the possibility of time travel. A game that's worse than Hitman 2 is something that I can only see existing in science fiction novels.

E.T. for the Atari 2600.

MKR on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    MKR wrote: »

E.T. for the Atari 2600.

Croc 2 PSone

Can you do a no killing run of oblivion or morrowind?

That said, I really want something made with the U3 engine that would let me go non-lethal.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    KlorgnumKlorgnum Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

That said, I really want something made with the U3 engine that would let me go non-lethal.

Mirror's Edge and Arkham Asylum are both U3 games.

Klorgnum on
  • Options
    TanolenTanolen Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Can you do a no killing run of oblivion or morrowind?

You have to kill final bosses, and kill people in the assassin's guilds.

Tanolen on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    .... Sneak King?

*beats Shadowfire with a big stick*

EDIT: All the arcade kart racers are pretty action-y. Mario Kart, Crash Bandicoot, Micro Machines. I would count those in with the list.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The only person you'll kill if you play through mirror's edge without guns is yourself.

Unless you don't suck

Save that one part where you swing from the rafters, beating the game without guns is incredibly easy.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Game snobs are awesome, keep on trucking with that. You'll find it gets you invited to a lot of parties.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Klorgnum wrote: »

Mirror's Edge and Arkham Asylum are both U3 games.

I'm pretty sure Mirror's Edge uses Dice's proprietary engine.

Edit: I was wrong. But they do have a "specially developed lighting solution".

Honk on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Are there any games out there that are nothing but obstacle courses? A bonus level in Order of Ecclesia and I Wanna Be the Guy come to mind but there should be more.

Does Pac-Man kill the ghosts he devours?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    ArjanNArjanN Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

You crazy? Hitman 2 was a great game and clearly better than the original in every way.

ArjanN on