As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

help! buying a second hand tv..... that possably hasnt been payed for

Conroy BumpasConroy Bumpas Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
a bloke i know has offerd to sell me his tv. (hes bad with money buys things.... gets skint then has to seel them.... xboxes, cars you name it) iv been with him when hes bought a 360 elite then 3 weeks later sold it to another friend of mine for half the price of it.

the tv is a 40'' sony bravia. thats only 3 or 4 months old and he only wants half the money for it. so its almost too good to be true. i helped him set up the tv when it arrived, so i know the tv is fine and i know its not stolen or anything.

the one thing im not sure about is weather he payed for it in full when he got it or weather he got it on credit.

if he got it on credit then hes deffnatly not payed it off yet. what are the legal implecations there if he stops his repayments etc.

any advice please

Please note I cannot be held responsible for any mental, physical, emotional, spiritual, karma, dharma, metaphysical, religious, philosophical, Logical , Ethical, Aesthetical, or financial damage caused by this post
Conroy Bumpas on

• PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If he hasn't finished paying for it, most companies will send that to a collections company, and they'll either force him to pay up or repossess the merchandise. Because otherwise the company is out a tv with nothing to show for it.

PolloDiablo on
  • Conroy BumpasConroy Bumpas Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    so if he dosnt keep up the payments and tells them where i live, the company is within there right to come to my house and take it. even tho technicly i have payed for it

Conroy Bumpas on
    Please note I cannot be held responsible for any mental, physical, emotional, spiritual, karma, dharma, metaphysical, religious, philosophical, Logical , Ethical, Aesthetical, or financial damage caused by this post
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    They should technically pursue him for the money, since it has officially changed hands to you,. but the debt is his

I wouldn't be too keen on the chances of them going with that though

too much effort

The Black Hunter on
    edited December 2009
    Well, you wouldn't have technically payed for it. You effectively paid a fence for it, which doesn't grant you any protection at all.

PolloDiablo on
    edited December 2009
    yeah that was what i was afrade of. a deal that seems to good to be true....is

ill see if i can get him to produce a full resept from where he got it from.

also is there anyway i can contact the company/ shop and check it has been payed for in full?

Conroy Bumpas on
    edited December 2009
    Can't you just ask your friend?

PolloDiablo on
    edited December 2009
    hes full of shit alot of the time. so im just trying to work out every problem i could run into. he says he threw away the resept.

there was paper work with it. when i set it up. but it didnt even look at it cos i was on my luch break

Conroy Bumpas on
  • SideAffectsSideAffects Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Just write up a bill of sale that you and he both sign for it.

SideAffects on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    IANAL, but I would think if he used a credit card, the tv is paid for. He just now has a loan with the credit card company. If they come after him for the debt, I'm sure they're not looking specifically for the tv. Hell, I have credit card debt from 10 years ago. Most of that stuff is long gone.

Sir Carcass on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Do you have any moral qualms with buying something stolen, or is this just about making sure you can keep the TV even if hes a fuck tard?

edit: Sounds like he doesn't steal, misread the OP. Write up a bill of sale to cover your ass, should be fine. He is responsible for his own debt.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If he hasn't finished paying for it, most companies will send that to a collections company, and they'll either force him to pay up or repossess the merchandise. Because otherwise the company is out a tv with nothing to show for it.

I don't think this would happen for a TV.

As Sir Carcass said, if he *paid* with a credit/store card, the merchandise is his; he just owes them a debt. On the other hand, If he got it from a Rent-to-Own place, then yes, it's very likely they will come for the TV if he stops paying. To get into CC debt a little, credit cards are unsecured loans. That is, they don't have anything of yours to exchange for the debt if you stop paying. A mortgage is a secured debt, as it is against the house (over simplified).

Honestly if you consider this dude a friend, I'd look up some money management classes/seminars/on-line things for him. Living like that is no way to live.

MichaelLC on
    edited December 2009
    if it was bought on credit it would be arranged with the store not a credit card.

im pretty sure if he dosnt keep up payments the goods are still owned buy the store untill he pays in full.

coz if i write up a bill of sale ..... and the tv wasnt his to sell.

anyone know any offical type thing i can consult about this?

Conroy Bumpas on
    edited December 2009
    Does the UK actually have store credit, ie not credit cards?
    Is this guy really a friend, or just someone you know and can take advantage of?
    Is $X worth your piece of mind on this whole matter?

Improvolone on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    well if you do go ahead with it make it clear to him if anything like what you fear does happen he owes you the money.
    if he is your friend he should atleast see where you are coming from and also hopefully own up to it (though he doesn't sound like a great dude from your description, i suspect you'd know better than we)

Local H Jay on
    edited December 2009
    yes teh uk has store credit. its userly handeled buy another company for the store. but i think companys like brighthouse etc. have there own "pull of your thumbs" repament department

well yes he is a friend. but hes a friend i cant relly trust hes a self confessed compulsive lair. im not takeing advartage of him. he said to me he dosnt like teh tv lcd's back lights are too bright and he wants a plasma. i showed him how to turn the backlight down. but he says he dosnt like it and wants to sell it. i just want to be sure its his to sell

hes selling it half price so its a very good deal. and i know its new and in working order. if he dosnt seel it to me. he will e.bay it.

Conroy Bumpas on
    edited December 2009
    This sounds like too much of a hassle; its just a TV. I would not be involved in buying anything from this guy.

Improvolone on
    edited December 2009
    the plot thickens.

he tells me he got it from pixmania.com

but i just asked his sister about it and he told his famly he won it in a magazine competition.

and taht he owes his mum money.

seems to me he got this tv from a onlinestore told his famly he won it as he owes his mom money and would get in trouble for buying a tv and not paying her back. its also the main tv in the house so me buying this would leave them no tv for xmas.......

everything is telling me to wash my hands of this

Conroy Bumpas on
    edited December 2009
    Wash your hands of him.

Improvolone on
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Wash your hands of him.

Enc on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If he still owes money on it, it isn't his to sell.

The company providing the finance certainly can repossess it if they so choose, though in practice they'd probably try to negotiate a payment with you so they didn't have to. I see this a lot with cars, people buy them not knowing that there's still finance outstanding on them, the finance company tracks them down and repossesses it. There isn't any redress in this situation.

japan on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Take the money you would have spent on the TV and enroll in an English class.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The television is months old. They are not going to try to take it back. We're not talking about a house here.

If he stops paying for the television, he's going to have a collection agency after him for the remaining debt--not the TV. If he continually dodges repayment, they may garnish his wages. At no point will they want to take back his 6 month old television.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

The money will also keep you well stocked in fake Burberry hats.

John Matrix on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    They want the debt, not the TV. It ain't gonna get repo'd because a) it's electronics, which rapidly go out of date and lose resale value pretty fast and they'd have to process/refurbish it b) they already can just garnish his check to get the money back, which is cheaper and c) they'd have to go inside a house to get it back.

Pretty much only big things like cars and houses get repo'd. Because they are the only things worth selling. And cars generally are sitting outside in a public street and can be towed away with or without your cooperation.

Dude needs to stop spending money he doesn't have. Looks like he likes buying stuff and then needs to continually bail himself out by selling it to pay off the rest of the loan.

FyreWulff on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm not certain that creditors can garnish wages in the UK. At least, I've never heard of it happening and can't seem to find anything online indicating that this is the case.

EDIT: It appears that they can, my employer has always opted for warrants of execution, which is where a bailiff comes to your house to seize either the money owed or goods to the value.

japan on
    edited December 2009
    is it the done thing to call the store he says he got it from (pixmaina.com) and ask if they sold it and weather of not its compleatly payed for?

Darkewolfe wrote:

The money will also keep you well stocked in fake Burberry hats.

sorry im very dislexic

Conroy Bumpas on
    edited December 2009
    A store will not reveal it's customer's information.
    Just step away, it's only a TV.

Improvolone on
    edited December 2009
    well his famly just phoned me. its their tv not his....

he was trying to sell me his famlys tv for quick cash. now hes in big troble with them

thanks for the advice everyone.

lock this up please

Conroy Bumpas on
  • Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Like other people have said. I work in a line of business where I see collections, judgments bankruptcies, etc all day long. If he paid for it and sells it to you, you are fine. If he owes a debt to pay this off, doesn't make the payments, the company will send him to collection. If he goes on without paying, they will file a judgment against him. The legal costs involved in trying to do a reposession are not at all cost effective in a small ticket item. Cars get reposessed, mortgages get foreclosed on, but small items like that just become judgments that will wreck his credit making it impossible for him to buy a house until he pays the debt off.

Well in the US that's how it works. I believe UK laws are similar, but don't quote me on that.

Well, that settles that, looks like I missed a piece of info here. Nevermind.

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here