As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PA: OTRSPOD Eps. 3 & 4 For Wired's Vaporware '09!

• Options
    TeburninatorTeburninator Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    dragonsama wrote: »
    Well it's nice that Khoo and HH Joel posted in here and that is cool. But still the lack of well any info is really frustrating. Atleast tell us one of the following

1. We are going to do an Episode 3 and 4 and they will be out this year.
    2. Hot Head wanted to devote themselves to Death Spank and will start on Ep3&4 after that raps up
    3. We aren't going to do them since they were losing us money
    4. we blew all the money on hookers and blow.

SHHH you're not supposed to know about the hookers n blow! Personally I think its #5.
    Dr.Blood has gotten to them.

Teburninator on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm pretty sure you mean Dr. Raven Darktalon Blood.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm pretty sure you mean Dr. Raven Darktalon Blood.

SHHHHHH we don't speak of HE, who shalt not be spoken of! This is a Startling Developments Dective Agency Forum! HURR!

Teburninator on
  • Options
    uglyhatuglyhat Registered User new member
    edited February 2010
    Seriously, I will not let this thread die. Until there are answers I continue my gentle needling. And refreshing the page.

uglyhat on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    uglyhat wrote: »
    Seriously, I will not let this thread die. Until there are answers I continue my gentle needling. And refreshing the page.

Yeah same here, such an awesome game, can't wait for the next.

Teburninator on
  • Options
    xbskidxbskid Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Maybe they're pulling a Valve and delaying their third episode so they can add sign language support.

xbskid on
  • Options
    Shaolin DaveShaolin Dave Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hey everyone. Did you know that Episode One is available for a discounted price? And it got awards from IGN and a Rebbie award? Also did you know that Episode Two continues to review well with an 8.1 Metacritic rating?

Well, if you didn't know, you should check out www.rainslick.com, because that's been the news on the main page since December of 2008!

Shaolin Dave on
  • Options
    RemisceRemisce Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hey everyone. Did you know that Episode One is available for a discounted price? And it got awards from IGN and a Rebbie award? Also did you know that Episode Two continues to review well with an 8.1 Metacritic rating?

Well, if you didn't know, you should check out www.rainslick.com, because that's been the news on the main page since December of 2008!

If they don't do a comic on this once the news is released mocking themselves I'll be sorely disappointed.

Remisce on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I apologize if it's been taken as an insult, but i can totally see that perspective. Please know it's not because we haven't WANTED to release information! We really do want to tell you what's been going on, but I promise that when we do talk about it you'll look back at this and say "ohhhhhhhhhh."

Ohhhhhhhhh

They dropped development because they are working on DeathSpank.

Why couldn't you have told us that sooner?

BlackDove on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I don't see why they had to wait for a specific date to tell us this. it's not like it's time sensitive information.

"The game is canceled"

Easy-peasy.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    No

Remisce on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ^Hyperbole award

They probably didn't announce it was canceled last PAX because it wasn't canceled then, just in some bizarre limbo.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited March 2010
    Remisce wrote: »
    Dear HH Games staff, you guys pretty much suck. I'd like to go into a detail eloquent rant in the ways you suck and lied, but it's readily apparent. Hopefully Deathspank will fail and HH will go out of business and maybe they'll all become lepers. I'm glad we waited over a year to get a cancellation notice, I'm sure there's much more to the story, but it's pretty damn pathetic and when you treat customers like this, you should die.

There's no call for rudeness.

Tube on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm quite looking forward to Deathspank. I'd have liked Ep 3, but oh well. No big thing.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Dear HH Games staff, you guys pretty much suck. I'd like to go into a detail eloquent rant in the ways you suck and lied, but it's readily apparent. Hopefully Deathspank will fail and HH will go out of business and maybe they'll all become lepers. I'm glad we waited over a year to get a cancellation notice, I'm sure there's much more to the story, but it's pretty damn pathetic and when you treat customers like this, you should die.

Fair point, then again there's no call for what just occurred with this game and the series.

Remisce on
  • Options
    DiemDiem Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    It's a huge shame to see penny arcade giving up on the game. The better solution would be to delay the game until after deathspank, and make a final episode to finish it off. then offer a package on steam which includes all 3 for those who havent bought it, and the third episode by itself. this would satisfy fans alot more than finishing a game with a comic.

Diem on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    As I said in the game sales thread in G&T, I am very saddened to see this die, as it's one of the very few RPGs I've actually genuinely enjoyed this generation. The combat was unique, fast and fluid; upgrades were simply that, instead of trading off one stat for another; QTE finishing moves were unique for each character (and in each game!), there were a set amount of enemies so that the game was never too challenging or too easy; was filled with Mike's wonderful art and Jerry's unparalleled dialogue; had the character import system even before Mass Effect 2 did; hell, even the Achievements were really well-done (like finish Episode 1 without dying or the final boss fight without anyone being knocked out)

It's great that we'll get to see a story resolution, hopefully in a collected edition similar to their yearly editions. Still, it's a shame to see a series never quite get off the ground like this; I'm sure DeathSpank won't even come close to offering the quality that was put out here.

I actually bought both episodes on both PSN and XBLA, and I'll probably play through both episodes sometime soon and think about what could have been for Episode 3.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

Fair point, then again there's no call for what just occurred with this game and the series.

Grow up.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Threepio wrote: »

Grow up.

You're right, I should grow up, I should learn that lying and being hypocritical by mocking those in the video game industry for the same thing is ok. My bad.... my bad. I should also be like HotHead and come on these forums to make one line quips about items but never actually give my customers actual information. I hope I can teach my kids to grow up right. Thank you for enlightening me.

Remisce on
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Threepio wrote: »

Grow up.

You're right, I should grow up, I should learn that lying and being hypocritical by mocking those in the video game industry for the same thing is ok. My bad.... my bad. I should also be like HotHead and come on these forums to make one line quips about items but never actually give my customers actual information. I hope I can teach my kids to grow up right. Thank you for enlightening me.

Yes, this is your bad. You're acting like a whining child. Let's be frank: no one owed you anything. Perhaps you bought into the first game with the promise of four, but you paid for one game and you got one game. You paid for the second? Great, you've got two. Getting your shit bent out of shape and calling people liars and suggest that they die is the most inane nonsense.

Take a fucking break from being a wad for a second and look at yourself. Your behaviour here is embarrassing.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Hey, when I said there was no call for rudeness go ahead and assume I was talking to you as well.

Tube on
  • Options
    ChokeholdChokehold Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Diem wrote: »
    It's a huge shame to see penny arcade giving up on the game. The better solution would be to delay the game until after deathspank, and make a final episode to finish it off. then offer a package on steam which includes all 3 for those who havent bought it, and the third episode by itself. this would satisfy fans alot more than finishing a game with a comic.

Wait, wait. Wait. Hold on.
    Giving up? Finishing the game with a comic?
    Did I miss a meeting somewhere? When and where was an actual cancellation announced?

EDIT:
    OK, I read the other thread. I hope to see some sort of direct announcement [and explanation] instead of people retelling it in the forums, but it'll have to make do for now I suppose.
    This will be a sad day. A sad day indeed.

Chokehold on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I apologize if it's been taken as an insult, but i can totally see that perspective. Please know it's not because we haven't WANTED to release information! We really do want to tell you what's been going on, but I promise that when we do talk about it you'll look back at this and say "ohhhhhhhhhh."

Hey, Rob... I'm not saying ""ohhhhhhhhhh."

This just became insulting again.

Shaolin Dave on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Hey, Rob... I'm not saying ""ohhhhhhhhhh."

This just became insulting again.

ohhhhhh, the game sold pretty poorly on the second iteration, and the company the partnered with to make it was working on their main projects so they couldn't devote their full attention to make a product PA'd be proud of. So they'll release a comic book type thing maybe of the rest of the story done by G&T. neat.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    ohhhhhh, the game sold pretty poorly on the second iteration, and the company the partnered with to make it was working on their main projects so they couldn't devote their full attention to make a product PA'd be proud of. So they'll release a comic book type thing maybe of the rest of the story done by G&T. neat.

yeah, love how they blame it on hothead.
    the game is being made with torque, not an engine owned by hothead. any developer could take over (and many would be willing) if hothead is too busy. obviously they're just passing the buck.

Shaolin Dave on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Maybe they just liked working with HotHead and have too much on their plate to shop around for another dev?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The first game didn't sell that great, and the second game sold only 1/3rd of the first. It may simply have been too hard a sell to get another developer on board.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, typically you shop around ideas that would make them money

Not offer them up something that has proven to have diminishing returns

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I just don't understand why it took so damn long for someone to step up and say "hey guys we aren't going to finish this"

Personally I was really looking forward to a Episode 3 as I loved the first 2 games. and I am extremely disappointed that we are not going to get it. And to be completely honest the lack of any communication from Hothead has turned me off of them completely and you bet I won't be picking up Deathspank because of this debacle.

Artoria on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It seems that most people are more upset at the method that PA handled the communication rather than the actual outcome. I think we can all agree that if it's not fiscally responsible to finish the game (as many have already pointed out - it isn't) then why would Penny Arcade try to do it. We can sit here all day and say how much we loved the game and story, but in the end it isn't making PA any money.

The biggest thing that bugs me is that this is precisely what Penny Arcade goes after developers for doing - communicating poorly to their customers, not following through on their promises, and generally treating the customer base without respect. Penny Arcade made a promise to finish the series, couldn't, and then rather then being straight about it they instead sprinkled posts throughout these forums of "Don't worry, it'll be okay, we promise you'll understand." This was then followed up by varied reports of what Gabe or Tycho said at book signings and then they dropped the bomb at PAX East without any follow up. Even today, there still isn't any story about what happened - you have to go to any other number of video game blogs to hear about it.

I've been reading Penny Arcade for a long time, same as a lot of people here. PA built its fanbase on treating their readers with respect, open communication, and a 'no bullshit' approach. Even their 'reviews' on games that make the blog are pretty even handed about what was great and what sucked - there isn't a lot of 'spin' here like you find on other video game blogs. Tycho has even posted in the past that one of the reasons he hopes people love the site is that it reads more like one of your buddies giving you a heads-up on something cool that is happening, rather than a corporate press release.

That friendship and camraderie that PA instills amongst its readers - hell, what forms the PA culture, is what I think most people are angry about. PA handled these mistakes with anything but respect and friendship - for whatever reasons.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    It seems that most people are more upset at the method that PA handled the communication rather than the actual outcome. I think we can all agree that if it's not fiscally responsible to finish the game (as many have already pointed out - it isn't) then why would Penny Arcade try to do it. We can sit here all day and say how much we loved the game and story, but in the end it isn't making PA any money.

The biggest thing that bugs me is that this is precisely what Penny Arcade goes after developers for doing - communicating poorly to their customers, not following through on their promises, and generally treating the customer base without respect. Penny Arcade made a promise to finish the series, couldn't, and then rather then being straight about it they instead sprinkled posts throughout these forums of "Don't worry, it'll be okay, we promise you'll understand." This was then followed up by varied reports of what Gabe or Tycho said at book signings and then they dropped the bomb at PAX East without any follow up. Even today, there still isn't any story about what happened - you have to go to any other number of video game blogs to hear about it.

I've been reading Penny Arcade for a long time, same as a lot of people here. PA built its fanbase on treating their readers with respect, open communication, and a 'no bullshit' approach. Even their 'reviews' on games that make the blog are pretty even handed about what was great and what sucked - there isn't a lot of 'spin' here like you find on other video game blogs. Tycho has even posted in the past that one of the reasons he hopes people love the site is that it reads more like one of your buddies giving you a heads-up on something cool that is happening, rather than a corporate press release.

That friendship and camraderie that PA instills amongst its readers - hell, what forms the PA culture, is what I think most people are angry about. PA handled these mistakes with anything but respect and friendship - for whatever reasons.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/clapping%20gif/chrishmush/clapping.gif You said what was on my mind but couldn't put into words. Thanks.

Teburninator on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The first game didn't sell that great, and the second game sold only 1/3rd of the first. It may simply have been too hard a sell to get another developer on board.

The thing about episodic games is that they're just mods of the older games. People are always making free HL2 mods, because the SDK came with the game.

I own Torque 3D professional, the upgraded version of the SDK used to make the first two episodes. It's not a very exclusive piece of software, it's marketed towards indies, hobbyist, and students like myself. I'm still learning to use it, but I'd make the game myself if I could get permission (and possibly the resources used in the old games).

Shaolin Dave on
  • Options
    Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

http://media.photobucket.com/image/clapping%20gif/chrishmush/clapping.gif You said what was on my mind but couldn't put into words. Thanks.

Definitely. That's exactly it. Hell, there's STILL been no announcement of the cancelation on this site; you'd have to go elsewhere to find out. I know they were busy with PAX East this last week, but you'd think that after word got out they could at least mention the cancellation of their game on their own site.

Chris FOM on
  • Options
    trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    No Episode 3 or 4?

WHaaaat

Damn I will never fight the other dark gods

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Im slightly curious what games got nominated and if they ever posted a followup to the poll in the op?

Bedlam on
  • Options
    Gene ParmesanGene Parmesan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I was in line to ask Mike and Jerry when the next episode was coming out during the second PA panel at PAX east. Little glad I got cut for time, that would have been kinda awkward. Bummed this game isn't coming out, but at least some kind of completion to the plot will be available. I wonder if its going to be on the site, or something like a graphic novel.

Gene Parmesan on
  • Options
    AJ MckayAJ Mckay Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I was in line to ask Mike and Jerry when the next episode was coming out during the second PA panel at PAX east. Little glad I got cut for time, that would have been kinda awkward. Bummed this game isn't coming out, but at least some kind of completion to the plot will be available. I wonder if its going to be on the site, or something like a graphic novel.

During the first Q&A when the question was asked, Jerry stepped to the front of the stage and said "That's why I've brought you all here today."

Expecting a good-news announcement, I started clapping...alone...facepalm.

When he made the announcement and folks started booing, he said something to the effect of, "That's the sound you should make."

AJ Mckay on
    If you need me, I'll be in Stellar Cartography.

->|SHIIIIIRRRRRT|<-
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    www.rainslick.com still hasn't been updated to show the news!
    who's in charge of that site, anyhow?

Shaolin Dave on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Not us.

Tube on
  • Options
    PookieMan357PookieMan357 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    For what it's worth- I guess the lack of real, up-front notification of the status of the game(s) bugs me. I understand the notion that I paid for 2 episodes and got 2 episodes. If I had paid for the whole game and only got two episodes I could have claimed injustice. That I got what I paid for... I guess I can't complain, but... There was definitely supposed to be more. And not in book form. I can't customize the appearance of the protagonist of a book/comic or hit a button at the right moment to make a literary character pull off a critical hit. I love the idea of having the story finished, but I'm disappointed that it isn't going to be finished just how it was started.
    The real rub, like I stated at the beginning, was that there is no official front-page coverage of the death of this game. There was plenty of word about the game in development, release dates, sequels, sales, etc. but when the project was dying you had to come to the forums to get news. And the official announcement that there would be no episode 3 happened, it happened on various news sites- there was no mention on the official website. Not even a blurb. Not at HotHead, not at Penny-Arcade.
    One way or another, it'd mean a lot to the fan community (if not their customers) to have an official, front page update and/or commentary about what happened here and why they (didn't) respond the way they did. They don't owe us a thing, but it seems like they should offer the same amount of honesty and communication they demand from the industry and community they've used to build themselves up.

PookieMan357 on