As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Resurrection Fails (Dick's New Art Dump)

dickthetatordickthetator Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Artist's Corner
Not really a dump yet, I suppose. My old-ass thread finally died, so I'll start from scratch, and won't bother re-posting old stuff. Anyone interested in that can go to the usual place http://www.toomanyfaces.net/gallery.htm.

Got laid off from my job when things got slow (yippee... fuck), so now I'm getting back into doing my own stuff again. It's a slow process getting back into the groove.

So here's my first finished piece in a long while.

babythulhu.jpg

Things I've noticed already: Fat fingers on one hand, funky lobe on one side, proportion problem with one o' the footsez. Feel free to add to the list

Got a few more things in the works, hope to get to them, assuming that getting back into school isn't more trouble than it's worth.

dickthetator on

• Options
    paulwindpaulwind Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Quick good/bad:
    I like the coloring. it's really well done.
    I do not like the middle oral tentacle... it's just sort of hanging there.

real critique coming soon.

paulwind on
  • Options
    HaxagorHaxagor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    i like the shading and how it gives good definition, but i think there could be more contrast on the character...jsut seems to grey'ed out....

Haxagor on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Got bored in the lab. Out o' inking pens, and no tablet... *sigh*

creepgirl.JPG

Original pencil drawing

dickthetator on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Sketch dump:

sketchdump.jpg

dickthetator on
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The rabbit in the top right is cool. Is that a pipe or is his hand made out of fire or something?

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Aye, a pipe. I actually have tons of pictures of bunnies smoking from various paraphernalia... I'll get to posting them eventually, when I can figure out where they're all stashed. I moved recently, and my drawings are stashed in different boxes.

No, I have no idea why bunnies.

dickthetator on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Noz! It doesn't dies!

Mo' sketches.

sketchdump4.jpg

dickthetator on
  • Options
    icebergiceberg Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Draw a large human hand for me.
    100 times

iceberg on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Maaan, I dunno'... hands are hard, mang.

Though drawing 100 big ol' honkin' hoomin hands would distract me for quite awhile from workin' on muh legs n' feet problem... which is even less fun.

M'kay. One step at a time, right?

Unless you lack legs or feet.

Yeah.

dickthetator on
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    iceberg wrote: »
    Draw a large human hand for me.
    100 times

My teacher told us today how for one semester she had 1 sketchbook full of hand drawings only and another of only foot drawings. She can draw feet and hands good as hell I tells ya.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    icebergiceberg Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I love drawing hands. And it's so easy to do. They're right there. In front of you. It's great really.

dickthetator, you won't regret it. If you continue as you are, people will always see that you either forget to draw the hands or you awkwardly hide them.

iceberg on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited March 2007
    Fun fact: You can find all of the features of the body in the hands when you look at your drawings. Learned that one from David George Brown (The City Metalhead) better known here as Iridium Ape.

Grifter on
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    iceberg wrote: »
    I love drawing hands. And it's so easy to do. They're right there. In front of you. It's great really.

dickthetator, you won't regret it. If you continue as you are, people will always see that you either forget to draw the hands or you awkwardly hide them.

I think the problem with hands and feet are the sizing for people. Also, you'll never learn why it's shaped the way it is until you look under the hood. I have trouble with them, but you just gotta practice them over and over and over.

Draw them hands and feet boy! It'll do ya good!

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Aye, aye, shall do.

I've been trying to get into an anatomy & physiology class that's been full the last few semesters. I think it'll do me a world o' good if I can get in. The vast bulk o' my stuff gets done without a reference because I don't have a convenient one handy, so I work with what I know (which ain't much). I prefer to work that way 'cause it feels less like "copying," but obvious problems arise.

Life drawing was a useful course, but we never got to studying any underlying mechanics of the human body beyond the skeleton. No advanced courses offered.

I think it'll work out goot, the anatomy class, if I can just get in. Summer semester coming up, hoping it'll be available. I could likely grab a figure drawin' book and learn the same things, but I know myself too well. I have to be forced to practice that kind of thing. Otherwise, I end up doing whatever feels comfortable and "fun." Which is a lot o' people from the waist on up facing left. Hur hur.

What the hell ever happened to the Ape? Did he stick with the animation thing?

dickthetator on
  • Options
    SpilltoySpilltoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I actually have tons of pictures of bunnies smoking from various paraphernalia...

Weird; so do I.

Spilltoy on
    I really don't.