As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Playing games on a HTPC

GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Games and Technology
Ok, so i've got my normal gaming pc which has a 4870 in etc.

But, i've been thinking.. what about my HTPC? I've just gotten a 4350 to replace the onboard graphics so I know it'll play most games ok.

Does anyone here game on their HTPC and are there specific wireless keyboards etc recommended?

At the moment i've got a 40" tv in front of my sofa and I normally control the HTPC with a remote control (XBMC) however I have a bit of a cheapo wireless keyboard which has an in-built touchpad, it's not fantastic and is just horrendously bad for gaming.

Are there tray type things you could put a wireless keyboard on? Decent wireless laser mice perhaps to be used on the sofa or on the tray?

To be blunt I think it'd be pretty awesome to play Oblivion at 1920x1080 on a 40" tv. Rather than my 22" 1680x1050 monitor.

PSN | Steam
---
I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
GrimReaper on

• Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This thread by TSR should help you out a lot.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=93945

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    There was a really good thread that thesonicretard made about creating an atractive frontend for HTPCs, including for games. Let me see if I can find it

EDIT: or be beaten to it

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think he's more concerned with the hardware than the software, if he's already using XBMC as a front end he can just set up links to launch the apps from the Programs menu, complete with fancy icons/descriptions pulled from Wikipedia or Metacritic.

That said:

1. You're not playing anything at 1080p with a 4350, except Minesweeper and Solitare.
    2. I use a wired keyboard with a USB extension cable, and a Logitech MX Revolution.
    3. You measure your TV in inches? That's cute. :P

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think he's more concerned with the hardware than the software, if he's already using XBMC as a front end he can just set up links to launch the apps from the Programs menu, complete with fancy icons/descriptions pulled from Wikipedia or Metacritic.

That said:

1. You're not playing anything at 1080p with a 4350, except Minesweeper and Solitare.
    2. I use a wired keyboard with a USB extension cable, and a Logitech MX Revolution.
    3. You measure your TV in inches? That's cute. :P

Well, i'm not going to be playing Crysis on it. Quite likely it'll be older games, so Freespace 2, Half-Life series, Civilisation etc. A 4350 should handle 1080p with those games no problem.

Must be wireless, must be wireless I am really tired of wires everywhere so I have decreed to myself to avoid any cabling as much as possible.

Well, people tend to give tv measurements in inches.

I'm reading through the sonic retard post now.

EDIT: So has anyone used one of these joypad to mouse mappers? How do they handle, i've never really liked playing first person games with joypads because they just feel so damn cumbersome.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.