As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PS3 controller conundrum

DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
Ok, I have sort of an odd question that probably doesn't come up that often as a quick google search turned up jack shit. Anyway, my problem is that I just purchased the PS1 original bomberman party edition off PSN to play with friends.

Being the frugal (read: cheap) person that I am, I decided to pick up one of those nifty PS2 USB adapters to use my 2 existing controllers and save some money. It works perfectly with both motorstorm 2 and LBP, so I know it isn't the adaptor. The problem is that when I plug in the adapter and boot up Bomberman on my ps3, all controllers including my sixaxis ones cease to function.

For some reason PSN originals, or perhaps just bomberman hate the adapter. Does anyone know of a possible work-around for this? I am considering digging an old ps1 controller out of storage to give that try with it, but other than that I got nothing so far..

Edit: Yeah I know I should have just gotten bomberman ultra, but I only had like 8 bucks left on my card and didn't feel like buying another one for a game I will never play by myself

sig2-2.jpg
Dangerous on

• DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I believe the onus is upon the software (the game) to support non-default controllers. I had problems getting a USB-to-PS2 adapter to work properly on my PS3, it kinda worked, but not really. Some games it was workable so long as I used a sixaxis PS button to start the game, a lot of games the adapter worked very poorly if at all. I tried a couple. I believe there are now USB-to-PS2 adapters that have a PS button built-in and that might work though that will cost additional $.

Try using just the PS3 controller (w/out the adapters attached). I assume this is not an adequate solution, but it will give you more information.

I'm not saying there is no workaround, good luck to you. Personally I just gave up trying. Tyring to keyboard and mouse in RFOM through a FragFX plugged into a USB-to-PS2 adapter was an exercise in futility. Guitar hero controllers for the PS2 were workable though.

Djeet on