As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Games taking a long time to install on Win7 64?

Sci-Fi WasabiSci-Fi Wasabi Registered User regular
So the majority of the games I've installed on this computer have been on Steam. Those games download quickly and are usually not very fussy. However, I've started installing some games from the retail disc and that's another story. Dawn of War 2's progress bar wouldn't go past 0 percent, and the disc looked perfect. The original Dawn of War expansions installed correctly but only after what must have been 10 minutes a piece.

So naturally I'm inclined to believe it's a problem with my DVD drive. So tonight I download a few demos online.

Resident Evil 5 Benchmark has been sitting here for 10 minutes doing nothing. After another 5 it starts making progress. After SEVENTEEN minutes it is installed and ready to use, with VAC bugging me every step of the way. I'm having similar problems with the Crysis Demo, so I tried an .exe that has a little less size to it, and the Plants vs. Zombies demo is installing in a similar manner.

I definitely didn't experience this kind of sluggishness under XP, and didn't realize it was a problem until I began installing non-steam programs. Does anyone have insight? My suspicions sort of lie within VAC....

sci+fi+wasabi.png
Sci-Fi Wasabi on

• Options
    grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Did you disable your anti-virus before running the installers? AV programs can slow installations if they are set to scan files during reads and writes.

grrarg on
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I have 40+ games installed, 10 from Steam, 20+ from optical drives, 10 copied from previous installs. All installed fine and play fine. Win7 64 and a decent rig, everything security related on its default settings. I'm wondering if maybe its a hard drive problem? Have you gotten any SMART errors on reboot? Defrag'd it? Run manufacturer's diags on it?

travathian on
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Are you letting these install to the C:\Program Files (x86) directory? I've noticed things like to pitch a fit if they're installed there. I now have a C:\Games directory for all non-steam related games. Maybe give that a go?

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I have Win7x64 and I've installed tons of stuff from steam, optical drive, and downloaded install files and I haven't had any issues with any of them. No issues with the Resi5 benchmark or the Crysis demo either.

slash000 on
  • Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Do like grrarg said and disable your AV and try again, its the most likely culprit.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, just another person reporting in that they've had absolutely 0 problems trying to get games installed on Window's 7.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So the majority of the games I've installed on this computer have been on Steam. Those games download quickly and are usually not very fussy. However, I've started installing some games from the retail disc and that's another story. Dawn of War 2's progress bar wouldn't go past 0 percent, and the disc looked perfect. The original Dawn of War expansions installed correctly but only after what must have been 10 minutes a piece.

So naturally I'm inclined to believe it's a problem with my DVD drive. So tonight I download a few demos online.

Resident Evil 5 Benchmark has been sitting here for 10 minutes doing nothing. After another 5 it starts making progress. After SEVENTEEN minutes it is installed and ready to use, with VAC bugging me every step of the way. I'm having similar problems with the Crysis Demo, so I tried an .exe that has a little less size to it, and the Plants vs. Zombies demo is installing in a similar manner.

I definitely didn't experience this kind of sluggishness under XP, and didn't realize it was a problem until I began installing non-steam programs. Does anyone have insight? My suspicions sort of lie within VAC....

So what happens when you install a program that isn't a game? Same thing, or is it specifically affecting game installation?

Mr. Buttons on
  • Options
    Sci-Fi WasabiSci-Fi Wasabi Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

So what happens when you install a program that isn't a game? Same thing, or is it specifically affecting game installation?

Non game applications install so quickly if you blink you might miss it.

Sci-Fi Wasabi on
    sci+fi+wasabi.png
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Given that most applications are measure in size by megs, and most game installs are measure in gigs, I am not surprised.

travathian on
  • Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    the purpose for asking was to see if the same hangups occurred with non-games. The file size should have nothing to do with a progress bar that doesn't move from 0%
    Sound and video drivers... up to date? are you using the windows supplied ones, or third party?

Mr. Buttons on
  • Options
    mcm300mcm300 Registered User new member
    Well atleast your lucky with Resident Evil 5,for me it took 4 DAYS,and the disk is BRAND NEW no scratch or anything.

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    Def not a driver issue. How are your user account controls set up? Do you have another install or setup executable running in the background? Might help to throw up a process list for us to see.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Thread is from December '09, ya geese.