As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mysterious static noise from computer

ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm trying to figure this out. As long as I can remember my PC has made a very low volume sort of "static" hum through its audio output (NOT actual noise). Its normally not perceptible unless I have my volume up moderately high and there is no music or anything else making nosie.

The peculiar thing is that the noise seems to go away when my processor is engaged at high usage percentages such as when scrolling down a really heavy webpage, resizing/dragging around a browser window rapidly, or when my wacom pen is making a stroke in photoshop. This makes me think the noise seems to stem from the CPU being idle somehow.

I'm wondering if anyone knows what on earth is causing this, and if possible how to make it go away. The sound is not limited to any particular audio device like a certain pair of headphones, and my audio jack isn't half-in or anything like that.

Scosglen on

• Options
    Ultima911Ultima911 Registered User new member
    Thank god! Someone has this problem too! I made an account just to check this, we should post our computer specs to see what we have in common, then maybe we can find out if its inside the computer.
    I've also heard radio coming through my headphones when my computer was OFF. I know its crazy. i want this fixed!

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Scosglen wrote:
    I'm trying to figure this out. As long as I can remember my PC has made a very low volume sort of "static" hum through its audio output (NOT actual noise). Its normally not perceptible unless I have my volume up moderately high and there is no music or anything else making nosie.

The peculiar thing is that the noise seems to go away when my processor is engaged at high usage percentages such as when scrolling down a really heavy webpage, resizing/dragging around a browser window rapidly, or when my wacom pen is making a stroke in photoshop. This makes me think the noise seems to stem from the CPU being idle somehow.

I'm wondering if anyone knows what on earth is causing this, and if possible how to make it go away. The sound is not limited to any particular audio device like a certain pair of headphones, and my audio jack isn't half-in or anything like that.

Are you using onboard sound?

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    It sounds like electromagnetic interference.

You could electromagnetically shield everything, but it won't really be worth the cost.

Maybe look at your wiring inside the case? See if anything is crossing near the CPU?

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Unfortunately this thread is from 2009 and long dead. You can make a new thread if you like.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
This discussion has been closed.