As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

10 Things To Know Before Switching to OS X

13»

• Options
    SmokingGunSmokingGun Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Callius wrote:
    Wow, that just sounds like a resource hog all around.

A very pretty and very nice resource hog. But a resource hog none-the-less.

This is mine main beef with Vista. It's doing a bunch of stuff that OSX and (gasp!) Gnome/KDE do already, but with much, much higher system requirements.

SmokingGun on
  • Options
    SlungsolowSlungsolow Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    SmokingGun wrote:
    Callius wrote:

This is mine main beef with Vista. It's doing a bunch of stuff that OSX and (gasp!) Gnome/KDE do already, but with much, much higher system requirements.

to be fair, windows is a bit more bloated than Gnome/KDE based OSes because it is dumbed down, and Apple has a fucking clamp on the exact hardware that its software runs on. Microsoft is just coverings is ass with the high end sys requirements... and it also uses much more 3D rendering than any OS currently available - hence its scalable featureset.

Slungsolow on
    fuck your forums, fuck your administrator and fuck dynagrip for getting away with the long troll.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Slungsolow wrote:
    SmokingGun wrote:
    Callius wrote:

to be fair, windows is a bit more bloated than Gnome/KDE based OSes because it is dumbed down, and Apple has a fucking clamp on the exact hardware that its software runs on. Microsoft is just coverings is ass with the high end sys requirements... and it also uses much more 3D rendering than any OS currently available - hence its scalable featureset.

But this is just it, your OS should be making the most of very little (see Gnome/ KDE and OSX). It shouldn't stagger drunkenly into the party with its trousers around its ankles, leering at your cousin, threatening to vomit on your carpet. It should be sat in the corner drinking a glass of red and talking to your great aunt about the exploits of her favourite football team.

SmokingGun on
  • Options
    Ness445Ness445 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Air wrote:
    theres also an itunes taskbar thing

i wonder if thats any good

edit: it is not

it's okay if you just want it to shuffle through your library.

Ness445 on
    4445.gif
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2007
    but sex sells

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    SmokingGun wrote:
    Slungsolow wrote:
    SmokingGun wrote:
    Callius wrote:

But this is just it, your OS should be making the most of very little (see Gnome/ KDE and OSX). It shouldn't stagger drunkenly into the party with its trousers around its ankles, leering at your cousin, threatening to vomit on your carpet. It should be sat in the corner drinking a glass of red and talking to your great aunt about the exploits of her favourite football team.

apple's hardware requirements are a bit harsher than you are letting on. First and foremost they require that you buy all hardware from them... at least microsoft lets you get an e-machine.

second, linux running Gnome/KDE is not a consumable operating system. Sure it's great for your hackers/sys admins/and hardware junkies, but it isn't sellable to moms and pops around the world.

and last, but certainly not least - you're letting apple off the hook a bit. leopard may have a feature set that is only available to the intel machines, which means folks with G4s and G5s (which were sold up until last year) are outdated. Hell, already folks with G4s are missing out on a lot of what OS X has to offer. They aren't exactly features exclusive to faster and newer processors - they're just features that run dramatically better on newer computers.

Slungsolow on
    fuck your forums, fuck your administrator and fuck dynagrip for getting away with the long troll.
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Is it true that some of the older mac software designed for the G5 systems wont run on the newer intel software?

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Is it true that some of the older mac software designed for the G5 systems wont run on the newer intel software?

no, it will run. it just runs slower since it goes through rosetta. Adobe CS 1 & 2 are great examples of this. they run like shit on an intel mac, but scream when run on a G5.

Slungsolow on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

You mean hardware?

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Slungsolow wrote:
    SmokingGun wrote:
    Slungsolow wrote:
    SmokingGun wrote:
    Callius wrote:

apple's hardware requirements are a bit harsher than you are letting on. First and foremost they require that you buy all hardware from them... at least microsoft lets you get an e-machine.

second, linux running Gnome/KDE is not a consumable operating system. Sure it's great for your hackers/sys admins/and hardware junkies, but it isn't sellable to moms and pops around the world.

and last, but certainly not least - you're letting apple off the hook a bit. leopard may have a feature set that is only available to the intel machines, which means folks with G4s and G5s (which were sold up until last year) are outdated. Hell, already folks with G4s are missing out on a lot of what OS X has to offer. They aren't exactly features exclusive to faster and newer processors - they're just features that run dramatically better on newer computers.

I'd agree with some of it - Microsoft do provide an OS to pretty much anyone that can reach a keyboard, Apple do require you to buy their machines and Linux is relatively unpopular (although it really isn't as fiddly as people believe).

But I stand by my point that the things that people are raving about for Vista, have been done a while ago on lesser requirements. Thats all.

SmokingGun on
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Christ, I always feel like some kind of superhero when I sell Macs at a discount to my customers; with there being little to no competition for the Mac, Apple has the Market cornered and just sells everything to everyone at the same price. I mean, shit, it's only like a couple of points off margin, but you'd think I was doing these people a huge favor by saving them $20 USD.

I do manage to feel better when I give them good deals on Applecare, though. That shit ain't cheap.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    redimpulseredimpulse Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    OS/2 lol

redimpulse on
    rbsig.jpg
  • Options
    ascotascot Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    When i first downloaded Firefox i spent a half hour installing all the plugins and skins and stuff that made it look/function like Safari. The i deleted it, cos, well, you know...Safari.

ascot on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Slungsolow wrote:
    Callius wrote:

the "task bar media player" trick is a resource hog, and it is no where near as pretty as the OS X minimized video window.

Illusion slung! The "task bar media player" illusion!
    Photo63-2.jpg

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    SlipperyJim.IMSlipperyJim.IM Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    mmmm.... shiny...

SlipperyJim.IM on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    I cut my lip on that dagger doing that.
    Also it's heavy.