As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hey gang, quick question regarding vid card

cemetery mancemetery man Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
Guys,

I have a ATI x1600pro 512gb card now. I'm wanting something more powerful thats PCI-express but not as crazy as an 8800.

The various cards kinda confuse me so I need advice. I think I'd like to go with Nvidia but I don't what's better. 7900gt? 7950gt? I''m sure there are others, but from what I've looked at on Newegg I decided it should probably have 24 pixel pipelines right?

I'm not wanting to wait for a dx10 card. So i'm looking at current options. What do you suggest for a 250-300 budget for this card?

rest of system will be
athlon 64x2 4200, 2gb pc 4200 ram

Thanks for any advice.

cemetery man on

• Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The 7950gt is better than the 7900gt.

I do believe in fact, that the 7950gt is just 2 7900gt's put together to achieve a "simulated" SLI type effect. Or so I believe, I may just be spouting crap, so if anyone else could confirm/deny this, please do.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wezoin wrote:
    The 7950gt is better than the 7900gt.

I do believe in fact, that the 7950gt is just 2 7900gt's put together to achieve a "simulated" SLI type effect. Or so I believe, I may just be spouting crap, so if anyone else could confirm/deny this, please do.

That's the 7950x2. The 7950GT is just a souped up 7900, as I understand it. Still a fine card.

However, from the tests I've looked at lately, ATI's X1950XT beats the 7950GT in just about everything. You only get 256MB of memory with the X1950XT compared to the 7950's 512MB, though. So, I dunno what would be better in the long run. :|

Edit: Dentist anesthetic makes my grammar ungood.

Fats on
  • Options
    gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The 8800 series are still overpriced right now because there is no ATi counterpart at the moment.

So you will have the nVidia 7 series duking it out against ATi's 1xxx series. Which ATi wins at the higher end (19xx > 79xx), but nVidia has a nice not so expensive 7600.

So I think your best bet will be a X1950 Pro.

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    So looks like I'm needing to decide between the Geforce 7950GT, and the ATI x1950pro. But the ATI seems to have a lot fewer pixel pipelines and less overall memory. Does this make a diference? Or is the pipelines and other stuff using another tech that is comparable to 24pixel pipelines in the 7950gt?

cemetery man on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited January 2007
    i believe the closest AMD/ATi equivalent to the 7950gt is the x1950xt, not pro

(yes, videocard names are fucking dumb)

bongi on
  • Options
    DulathDulath Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The 7900GT is no longer in production and has been forked into two other cards: 7950GT and 7900GTO. The 7950GT is the better of the two, but the 7900GT and 7900GTO are somewhat neck and neck. The GTO has more RAM but the GT has better clocks.

Dulath on
    sig.PNG
    Disclaimer: Actual Google banner ad captured at www.serebii.net
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    the 1950xt is like 500bucks. and the nvidia 7950gt is like 250ish. which seems odd if they are counterparts. why is this so friggin confusing??

I've got like 300 bucks to get one of this mid-high end cards and I'm totally stumped between these 2 now because the 1950pro and the 7950gt can't use some comparable method of specs.

cemetery man on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So looks like I'm needing to decide between the Geforce 7950GT, and the ATI x1950pro. But the ATI seems to have a lot fewer pixel pipelines and less overall memory. Does this make a diference? Or is the pipelines and other stuff using another tech that is comparable to 24pixel pipelines in the 7950gt?
    I hear ATI is using more instructions per cycle for the pixel pipelines. But why drop $250 on a DX9 card when there are more DX10 cards coming out in less than 30 days (one of which may be the 8600GT)?

FreddyD on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I think I'm gonna get the ati x1950 pro. I need a card as my new tower is pci-e. I'll probably get a dx10 card 6 plus months from now when totally needed.

cemetery man on