As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Should I buy this computer

Corrosive MonkeyCorrosive Monkey Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
I'm looking for a new computer on a tiny budget which is why I am looking at ebay. I have found this one. Is it any good? I will mainly use it for the internet, guild wars and Halo CE.

Computer

Corrosive Monkey on

• Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Not really, 940 dead end socket. And shitty graphics card will make GuildWars and Halo run not very well.

On the flipside on that budget and with a monitor as well. I'd doubt you'd get a better deal :(

See what savings you can actually make (do you already have a monitor/keyboard? etc)

Rook on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It has an extra PCI-e slot so all you really need is a ~$100 video card (like the 7600GT). You really can't beat a 3 year warranty with Windows Vista at that price. With the monitor the package is a bargain.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    FreddyD wrote:
    It has an extra PCI-e slot so all you really need is a ~$100 video card (like the 7600GT). You really can't beat a 3 year warranty with Windows Vista at that price. With the monitor the package is a bargain.

I'd say if you could find the same thing with a 939 socket motherboard it'd be a much better deal.

The 940 was around for the blink of an eye.

Rook on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Rook wrote:
    FreddyD wrote:

I'd say if you could find the same thing with a 939 socket motherboard it'd be a much better deal.

Really? I thought the AM2 socket was the latest AMD socket.

Veevee on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Veevee wrote:
    Rook wrote:
    FreddyD wrote:

Really? I thought the AM2 socket was the latest AMD socket.

It is, but the 939 is cheaper. I mean obviously if you could get an AM2 for that price that's even better.

Rook on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Still, not every computer has to be futureproofed for every possible component upgrade--if he gets this thing and adds a decent PCI-E video card and it plays the games he wants to his satisfaction, then it doesn't really matter if socket 940 is a dead-end, does it?

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    The problem I am seeing is that the auction reads as an AM2 socket mobo, but also list it as a 940 (which AM2 is).

This computer is a good deal. Buy it and then get an upgraded CPU (Semprons are the lowest of AMD chips) and a PCI-E video card and you'll be set for a long while

Veevee on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Captain K wrote:
    Still, not every computer has to be futureproofed for every possible component upgrade--if he gets this thing and adds a decent PCI-E video card and it plays the games he wants to his satisfaction, then it doesn't really matter if socket 940 is a dead-end, does it?

That's true. Although, speaking of dead-end, my mobo is AGP so if I want a PCI-E card I'm going to have to upgrade that. I just might build a new computer altogether and give this one to my girlfriend, hmmmm.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wait, socket 940 is the AM2 format? That's a dead-end?

I guess I shouldn't have bought one of those, huh.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Captain K wrote:
    Wait, socket 940 is the AM2 format? That's a dead-end?

I guess I shouldn't have bought one of those, huh.

No, AMD used a socket 940 for its high end chips. They then developed another socket that also has 940 pins called AM2 which is their newest and bestest socket.

The auction is just being silly in listing it as a socket AM2 and then listing it as a Socket 940. Socket 940 was used only in the high end FX line and Opteron line chips

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_940

Veevee on
  • Options
    JWFokkerJWFokker Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    IT'S SOCKET AM2, not the predecessor to 939

Just to make that clear. Some people are getting hung up on the 940 thing in the auction.

AM2 is a solid upgrade path. You can upgrade to a dual core, or quad core when they come out. You can even use AM3 chips in it when they come out, though the motherboard won't support DDR3 (not a big deal). As it stands right now, you just need to buy a good PCI-E card and you'll be set. You might want to pick up another gig of RAM down the road as more games demand it or if you switch to Vista, but for the time being, I'd say that's a pretty solid system. You could easily overclock it with the stock heatsink to 2.6 Ghz, provided the motherboard can handle it. You don't need to immediately buy a new CPU as some posts would have you believe. Dual core processors are not utilized in at least 90% of all Windows applications yet. You won't really need multicore for at least another year.

JWFokker on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    JWFokker wrote:
    IT'S SOCKET AM2, not the predecessor to 939

Just to make that clear. Some people are getting hung up on the 940 thing in the auction.

You do know that Socket 940 and AM2 are two entirely different sockets...

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Veevee wrote:
    The problem I am seeing is that the auction reads as an AM2 socket mobo, but also list it as a 940 (which AM2 is).

This computer is a good deal. Buy it and then get an upgraded CPU (Semprons are the lowest of AMD chips) and a PCI-E video card and you'll be set for a long while

*slaps head*

Yeah, I just read Socket 940. Of course an e-mail to the guys should verify it as an AM2 board, and I retract my comments.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Because I was curious, (and very bored) I went and looked at the prices for separate components on newegg

CPU is about $55
    Motherboard is about $55
    RAM is about $130
    Hard Drive is about $65
    DVD Drive is about $30
    Monitor is about $180

All that totals for about $515 (264GBP according to google). That doesn't include speakers or mouse or keyboard as the auction doesn't mention those being included. Case could be as cheap as $10. Going by this, and the price of 400GBP ($779 according to google), I'd say it may not be as good of a deal as I originally thought (first impressions were taking the price as Dollars, not Pounds). Its not bad if you don't want to deal with building your own computer, but I wouldn't recommend this to any of my friends.

All prices are the cheapest price for the component listed in the ebay auction that I could find on Newegg

Veevee on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Veevee wrote:
    Because I was curious, (and very bored) I went and looked at the prices for separate components on newegg

CPU is about $55
    Motherboard is about $55
    RAM is about $130
    Hard Drive is about $65
    DVD Drive is about $30
    Monitor is about $180

All that totals for about $515 (264GBP according to google). That doesn't include speakers or mouse or keyboard as the auction doesn't mention those being included. Case could be as cheap as $10. Going by this, and the price of 400GBP ($779 according to google), I'd say it may not be as good of a deal as I originally thought (first impressions were taking the price as Dollars, not Pounds). Its not bad if you don't want to deal with building your own computer, but I wouldn't recommend this to any of my friends.

All prices are the cheapest price for the component listed in the ebay auction that I could find on Newegg

You can't compare American pricing to UK Pounds with computer stuff, we just get ripped off to badly :)

The closest you get is using the conversion rate of 1$ = 1£ it sucks but there you go.

Rook on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Veevee wrote:

CPU is about $55
    Motherboard is about $55
    RAM is about $130
    Hard Drive is about $65
    DVD Drive is about $30
    Monitor is about $180

Well, Windows Vista costs about $200 so you pretty much break even.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    UK pricing on PC components is terribly expensive in comparison to US prices, so he wouldn't be getting a bad deal at all.

JWFokker on
  • Options
    robaalrobaal Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Rook wrote:
    The closest you get is using the conversion rate of 1$ = 1£ it sucks but there you go.

It's more like $1,5 = 1GBP ATM, at least for computer components.

FreddyD wrote:

I can't find Vista on that auction's page... except for the mention of "vista ready".

robaal on
    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra when suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath.
    At night, the ice weasels come."

• Options
    MiglioriMigliori Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Might want to check out this machine from mesh, they are a good company to buy from and you could customize if your budget allows.

LINK

Migliori on
  • Options
    Corrosive MonkeyCorrosive Monkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Thanks for all the help.

And thanks Migliori for the link

Corrosive Monkey on
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    robaal wrote:
    Rook wrote:

It's more like $1,5 = 1GBP ATM, at least for computer components.

FreddyD wrote:

I can't find Vista on that auction's page... except for the mention of "vista ready".

That and Vista isn't even out yet, except for the big businesses and OEMs like HP and Dell.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Only about three weeks until Vista gets released though.

JWFokker on