As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Computer Security Thread] CVEs, or "Crap! Vulnerabilities! Eughhhhh..."

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    sounds like he probably got infected when he installed a sketchy web browser called "UR Browser" a couple weeks ago
    and also he's refused for years to upgrade off windows 7

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    sounds like he probably got infected when he installed a sketchy web browser called "UR Browser" a couple weeks ago
    and also he's refused for years to upgrade off windows 7

*shrug* wipe and reinstall 7, get it up to date. It hasn't yet hit EOL, but that comes next year.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    IMO wipe 7 and install 10.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Also that.

• Options
    yeah we're gonna upgrade to 10 now since we need to do a clean install anyway

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Nuke From Orbit has been my default solution to every problem that my mom runs into for the past several years. She has backups of all her documents and stuff, and she can just reinstall any programs she needs, so there's no reason why she can't just wipe it all and start over fresh.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm

use this to simplify it

disable both, reboot (make sure the buttons say "enable")

Disabling both with my i5-4670k changed my Cinemark score from 1181-1189 to 1222 and my Superposition Benchmark from 9323-9390 to...9350.

So not very much change in my case. That would explain why Stellaris and Skyrim seem unaffected.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm

use this to simplify it

disable both, reboot (make sure the buttons say "enable")

Disabling both with my i5-4670k changed my Cinemark score from 1181-1189 to 1222 and my Superposition Benchmark from 9323-9390 to...9350.

So not very much change in my case. That would explain why Stellaris and Skyrim seem unaffected.

Yeah, on 4770 my AS-SSD score went from 924->929.

PCMark 10 went from 4193 to 4404, which is a touch over 5%.

I think the delta is significantly larger for Ivy Bridge and earlier designs, though.

I would test it on my Dad's i7-920, but I don't have that kind of patience :P

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Huh. Seems like the impact to end user machines from the recent few CPU generations isn't that bad then?

I still fear that these mitigation measures will have the biggest impact in the enterprise space, where they are most critically needed, though.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I'll have to bench mine later, but based on these results I'll not expect much of a hit. I've got an i7-7820HK.

I've still got an old machine with an i7-2760QM; it'll be interesting to see the results on that as a Sandy Bridge chip, but it hardly sees any use any more. And when it does it's not for anything intensive, so even if it gets severely hamstrung I'm not going to be too bothered.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I think my i5-4670k is just...old. Mercifully CPUs haven't advanced at the same rate as the progression from Maxwell to Pascal to Turing (well, less so if you don't care about ray tracing), but I haven't upgraded my CPU since I first started using a GTX 970. At the time, the i5 was more expensive than the GPU it was paired with.

• Options
    Huh. Seems like the impact to end user machines from the recent few CPU generations isn't that bad then?

I still fear that these mitigation measures will have the biggest impact in the enterprise space, where they are most critically needed, though.

Yeah, it's definitely a bigger deal in the DC/VM space, where the performance hit is larger *and* the attack surface is more of a problem (spin up a VM and try to extract data from other VMs via timing attacks).

I think this year's Xeons will have more significant hardware mitigations to basically eliminate the performance hit.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Maybe 5% was just a hugely noticeable number to my perception of it. It still feels like night and day difference between the two. But yeah I'm on ivy bridge IIRC.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Going off hazy memory here, but I think the 3xxx series is where the mitigations start having a bigger impact as you go back.

Haswell had some architectural changes that meant they had to do less painful workarounds.

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    Pre-patch my i5-3750 could fullscreen a game at 120 fps and fullscreen streaming video at 720p 60fps on another monitor.
    Post-patch, I could never manage it without video skipping. Whereas it was perfectly adequate before, it pretty much went back to the performance of the Core 2 Duo I had before it for media applications.

I recently upgraded to a Ryzen 5 2600X and can finally simultaneously stream and game like I used to when I got the previous hardware 6 freaking years ago.

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Malware is a threat to personal security, privacy, and information. But, uh...

Is it art?
    An artist by the name of Guo O Dong collaborated with cybersecurity company Deep Instinct to load a Windows XP laptop with six of the most dangerous pieces of malware the world has ever seen, and now the laptop will be sold to the highest bidder, with the current bid set at an astounding $1,200,749.

Appropriately titled ‘The Persistence of Chaos,’ the art project is composed of a 2008 Samsung NC10-14GB 10.2-inch laptop running Windows XP Service Pack 3, a power cord, a restart script, and the aforementioned malware. In order to keep the malware from spreading, the laptop has been “isolated and airgapped.”

I mean, I suppose it is art. But Windows XP? How gauche.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    What are the tiers (and current odds) on the amount of time the buyer plugs it into the internet?

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    From the sound of it, they physically removed the laptop's network hardware, depending on what exactly "isolated and airgapped" entails.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    At that price, no way it's not being looked at by those with nefarious intentions.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    From the sound of it, they physically removed the laptop's network hardware, depending on what exactly "isolated and airgapped" entails.

It means nothing, is what it means. Absolutely nothing. It will be extracted before the end of the day the machine is delivered.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Am I wrong in assuming that the malware infecting this machine (ILOVEYOU, MyDoom, SoBig, WannaCry, DarkTequila, and BlackEnergy) would be easy to come by on the internet without spending in excess of a million dollars? I'm not sure why anyone would bid on this with the intent to extract and weaponize the malware.

I mean, ostensibly the malware in question isn't even effective anymore, considering how old it is. Surely it's been patched against by now.

Edit: Though on deeper consideration it occurs to me that many enterprise systems are extremely slow to roll out patches. So maybe I'm completely wrong here.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Am I wrong in assuming that the malware infecting this machine (ILOVEYOU, MyDoom, SoBig, WannaCry, DarkTequila, and BlackEnergy) would be easy to come by on the internet without spending in excess of a million dollars? I'm not sure why anyone would bid on this with the intent to extract and weaponize the malware.

I mean, ostensibly the malware in question isn't even effective anymore, considering how old it is. Surely it's been patched against by now.

Edit: Though on deeper consideration it occurs to me that many enterprise systems are extremely slow to roll out patches. So maybe I'm completely wrong here.

This was my thought as well regarding the viruses themselves. They are already out there, so I don’t think that would be the intent of the buyer. Though I’m not quite sure who the buyer for something like this would be...

• Options
    Yeah, this is not really a security risk. Most of them are extremely dated things. Even the recent stuff would be easily obtainable elsewhere.

• Options
    it's just a dumb toilet-signed-by-a-famous-person type art

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Hey

Hey

We thought the same thing about the Measles, and then anti-vaxx happened

How soon before we hear "anti-virus is hurting my PC!!!"?

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Hey

Hey

have you never run into this before? its a thing... among crazy people

I know someone who swears VMware being installed is why their eight year old laptop chugs

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    I'm just trying to square the circle of anti-vaxxers who also run an anti-virus (incl. Windows Defender).

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Hey

Hey

I know someone who swears VMware being installed is why their eight year old laptop chugs

Antivirus is hurting your computer. It's causing website, browser, and other software developers to make less secure software because it has to be compatible with antivirus software. Defender is all you really need.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Hey

Hey

Antivirus is hurting your computer. It's causing website, browser, and other software developers to make less secure software because it has to be compatible with antivirus software. Defender is all you really need.

Its also full of holes that the viruses can exploit. See TrendMicro.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

Excuse me? Is that toilet air gapped? I think not.

• Options

Excuse me? Is that toilet air gapped? I think not.

But imagine if it was: a toilet with a toilet seat that never comes in contact with your ass, but still somehow supports you.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Hm, yes, I see, you could do it with a combination of sufficiently potent ultrasound and directed air jets….

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I'm just trying to square the circle of anti-vaxxers who also run an anti-virus (incl. Windows Defender).

I still have yet to find anyone claiming their antivirus gave their computer autism.

That said, I've come across many who claimed that games (legally store-bought ones, I should clarify) or something like that gave their computer viruses. I wonder if that's the closer equivalent.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Hm, yes, I see, you could do it with a combination of sufficiently potent ultrasound and directed air jets….

I feel like that would be in danger of making the poop go in the wrong direction.

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

I feel like that would be in danger of making the poop go in the wrong direction.

The IT Crowd has a moment for everything:

ws4pc2ybxlsj.jpg

• Options
    I consider this a security issue: Google plans to essentially disable adblocking extensions for non-enterprise Chrome users.
    With the Manifest V3 proposal, Google deprecates the webRequest API’s ability to block a particular request before it’s loaded. As you would expect, power users and extension developers alike criticized Google’s proposal for limiting the user’s ability to browse the web as they see fit.

Now, months later, Google has responded to some of the various issues raised by the community, sharing more details on the changes to permissions and more. The most notable aspect of their response, however, is a single sentence buried in the text, clarifying their changes to ad blocking and privacy blocking extensions.

"Chrome is deprecating the blocking capabilities of the webRequest API in Manifest V3, not the entire webRequest API (though blocking will still be available to enterprise deployments)."

Google is essentially saying that Chrome will still have the capability to block unwanted content, but this will be restricted to only paid, enterprise users of Chrome. This is likely to allow enterprise customers to develop in-house Chrome extensions, not for ad blocking usage.

This will significantly neuter the ability of extensions to effectively block ads in-browser. When this goes through, I would consider Chrome to be a significantly larger attack surface. Ads remains the primary vector of malware transmission - Even from (ESPECIALLY from) sites you trust.

• Options
    *hugs Firefox*

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

I still have yet to find anyone claiming their antivirus gave their computer autism.

I dunno, I've seen the likes of Norton cause some spectacular crash loops...

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    I consider this a security issue: Google plans to essentially disable adblocking extensions for non-enterprise Chrome users.
    With the Manifest V3 proposal, Google deprecates the webRequest API’s ability to block a particular request before it’s loaded. As you would expect, power users and extension developers alike criticized Google’s proposal for limiting the user’s ability to browse the web as they see fit.

Now, months later, Google has responded to some of the various issues raised by the community, sharing more details on the changes to permissions and more. The most notable aspect of their response, however, is a single sentence buried in the text, clarifying their changes to ad blocking and privacy blocking extensions.

"Chrome is deprecating the blocking capabilities of the webRequest API in Manifest V3, not the entire webRequest API (though blocking will still be available to enterprise deployments)."

Google is essentially saying that Chrome will still have the capability to block unwanted content, but this will be restricted to only paid, enterprise users of Chrome. This is likely to allow enterprise customers to develop in-house Chrome extensions, not for ad blocking usage.

This will significantly neuter the ability of extensions to effectively block ads in-browser. When this goes through, I would consider Chrome to be a significantly larger attack surface. Ads remains the primary vector of malware transmission - Even from (ESPECIALLY from) sites you trust.
    Well, that's Chrome uninstalled from every PC I own; as in, I just finished. Going to encourage the same with everyone I know.

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yup goodbye chrome.

I'll be switching to firefox permanently this weekend.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me