Options

Getting Wisdom teeth pulled in Canada

Hey AshtrayHey Ashtray Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys, the reality of being a poor ex-student just hit for the first time since graduating. Two of my wisdom teeth are in, but a third has woken up, and is impacted. It's already moved a couple teeth and now is starting to hurt, and I assume it is only going to get worse/move more teeth?

My question is whether or not there's anything at all set up to help pay for dental surgery in Canada. I'm not under my parent's blue cross anymore, as I've graduated and live on my own, and I work a job with no benefits. You'd think emergency dental surgeries (ie. pain or structural damage) would be covered like anything else. Betchya if a tooth started growing out of my foot, they'd carve it out for me.

Anyway, I'm ranting. I'm getting a taste (no pun intended) of how you less fortunate American's must feel when you get a hemorrhoid or something.

Thanks for the help.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hey Ashtray on

• Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I would talk to your doctor & dentist and put the emphasis on the fact that you are in pain & you have no extended health benefits. Try Doctor first, see where they refer you to.

Edit:

What province are you in?

Edit II

I had impacted wisdom teeth like.. 10 years ago, and my surgury was covered by BC Medical Services Plan... but that was 10 years ago and god knows what they have delisted since then... fucking campbell.

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Check dental schools? I've heard you can get some low prices there, but I don't know the details.

Mugaaz on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Mugaaz wrote: »
    Check dental schools? I've heard you can get some low prices there, but I don't know the details.

If you live near a Dental College (there's 10 in the country), do this. At the U of S, we're a discount of 30%.

The work is done by competent, nearly-graduated (months from graduation, whereon the day after, they could be your "real" dentist) dental students and supervised by Faculty or Part-Time Faculty that are practicing dentists. Often with oral surgery, students simply observe. Basically, you're going to get perfectly fine dental work, but it will likely take twice as long compared to going to a regular practicioner. If the student screws up or is about to screw up, the Faculty member will intervene or repair the work.

[Edit]
    If you let them know about your financial hardship, they may be able to work out lower pricing or at least some sort of plan that will work with what you can afford to pay.

LaOs on
  • Options
    Hey AshtrayHey Ashtray Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Cool. Will do. I live in Quebec right now, but am not from here and my Medicare card is NB, and also, fuck Quebec's health system for foreigners!

I'll check it out when I'm home over Christmas. If I go to the Dentist to get referred to a dental surgeon, do I have to pay the dentist fee to refer me? Being broke and educated sucks!

Hey Ashtray on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]