As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tablet Advice

kedinikkedinik Captain of IndustryRegistered User regular
edited December 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm getting a tablet for my girlfriend this Christmas, but I know next to nothing about them; I have no idea how to judge a good tablet from a bad one, so I would really appreciate some advice from a few people in the know.

I'd definitely like to get a durable and user-friendly one for her, and I want to keep the price range less than $500.

If there's anything else that I can tell you to help you make a recommendation just let me know.

edit: Sorry, a pen tablet, not a full fledged tablet pc. Wacom is a brand of pen tablets, right?

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
kedinik on

• Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    A wacom tablet, a tablet pc or some other kind of tablet?

rts on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Wacom. Wacom. Wacom. There is no other tablet worth getting. I'm not saying this just because I like them (I do) but... there really is flat out no other tablet brand worth getting. Wacom has cornered the industry and no one cares because they are fantastic.

http://www.wacom.com/intuos/medium.php

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    general consensus: Wacom will make her happy, all the rest will probably make her cry.
    like wassermelone said. they have monopoly and nobody cares. They are awesome and kinda worth their buck too....

and then it's just a matter of matching your budget and her needs to a wacom model (i believe wacom has a tool for that on their site).

bamboo= fan, solid and cheaper
    intuos= if she's thinking of using it a fucking lot or professionally.

tablet size: huge can be bulky and you'll end up using it less. A3 active area is too big in many situations .
    i like A4 active area, many prefer smaller.

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    oh, and 500 dollar should get you an intuos 4 with A4 active area, which is fancier and bigger than what many accomplished artists use. (that being said, the intuos 4 series is a whole bag of fun, great detail.)

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If she plans on moving around much I probably wouldn't go for anything larger than a 6x8. Anything bigger than that isn't very portable. I have had a 4x5, a 6x8, a 9x12...the bluetooth 4x6 I think it was and right now I am typing this on a cintiq. By far the best value for quality portability and all that jazz was the 6x8 intuos.

rts on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I have a 6 x 4 Bamboo fun, it's pretty good and portable.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    i really love the hell out of my intuos3 6x8. it is the perfect size for me to use on my lap, and to take with me, as it fits a lot of laptop sleeves really well. i bought one for it on sale for a few dollars and it makes taking it places so much better.

i have seen things about the intuos4 that look so damn sexy, i'd advise getting her an intuos4, 6x8 if she is serious about digital art. if it is more of a fun thing, or she isn't really sure about the whole tablet thing, try a bamboo, it is a really good piece of equipment too.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, go wacom.

If you're not averse to buying used, I'd recommend eBay. Wacom tablets have a low failure rate and if you buy from a person with a decent reputation there should be no problem. I bought an Intuos 1 for $170 since I find the benefits of the newer models negligible (increased sensitivity, extra sliders and buttons, different texture surface). If you have a huge screen, the higher resolution of the newer intuos models (3 & 4) would shine.

But, regardless of whether you buy new or used, know that the biggest difference between the Bamboo model (cheaper) and the Intuos model (expensive) is tilt sensitivity. The bamboo can't detect when you tilt the pen, and the intuos can (even the old ones). This is a big deal if you use the tablet for painting/drawing, maybe not so much otherwise.

And yeah, anything bigger than 6x8 is just awkward. (Sorry that I use so many parentheses).

Agentflit on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    That's a pretty resounding consensus.

She does a fair amount of graphic design work and plans to do even more of it in the near future; the Intuos line looks perfect.

Thank you all!

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.