As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

a cold-sore like lump... in my nose?

TopiaTopia Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I was wiping my nose today when I realised something felt odd. So as I thrust my finger into my nostril I thought I noticed that it seemed unusually tight. Comparison this with the other nostril I confirmed my suspicions. Anyway, I waltzed over to the washroom, looked in my nose in the mirror, and lo-and-behold, a cold-sore looking lump just inside the right nostril, at the bottom of the cartilage between passages. Has anyone experienced this? Will it go away? Any cause for alarm?

Topia on

• Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If it looks like a cold sore then it probably is one as you can get them there. Slap some zovirax or whatever on your pinky and jam it up there!

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Adda wrote: »
    If it looks like a cold sore then it probably is one as you can get them there. Slap some zovirax or whatever on your pinky and jam it up there!

This is the truth? Perfect. Just yesterday I was thinking to myself "hey, I haven't gotten my yearly winter cold sore yet..."

Well fuck

Topia on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'm expecting one of mine to kick in at some point, if I can dodge it for just a couple more days then I will be a happy man.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Cold sore as in open, or more like a pimple?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ingrown hair, perhaps?

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ingrown hair or zit is more likely.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    In my experience; coldsores are not like either of those.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I got a pimple in my nose once, which was vaguely similar to what you're describing but not a cold sore (I have managed to avoid the herp). It was annoying as heck and took longer to go away than a normal zit.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Speaking of cold-sores. I got my first in many years this year on my mouth. Bluh...

Also, I occasionally get those horrible nose-zits. How can I pick my nose with a zit in the way!?

Euphoriac on
  • Options
    GameHatGameHat Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Could always be Impatigo

I had a nasty case. Of course, that was when I was a filthy 8-year-old. Impatigo generally doesn't hit adults, because, well, we're not as filthy.

GameHat on
  • Options
    maverickpixelmaverickpixel Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    during the dry seasons a thin layer of boogers sheets the inside of your nose, basically your nose produces its juices at the same speed, but with the dry air, it hardens much faster than normal. This usually impedes the growth of any nose hair (you have alot... believe me ) so its usually an ingrown hair

i actually read about one guy who had an ingrown hair so badly on the inside of his nose that he developed what he thought to be a zit on the direct outside of his nose, inline with the ingrown hair bump. eventually he popped it and a hair came out.

body's=disgusting

maverickpixel on
  • Options
    rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    No, all the stupid bacteria/viruseseses = disgusting.
    Death to dirty stupid bacteria. I hate them all!!

rfalias on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Aye, my best guess would be pimple. Try giving it a gentle squeeze - gently, just in case it is a cold sore. Some people say not to pop pimples, but I think that's more a wives tale than genuine wisdom... if my thoughts on the subject are incorrect, however, I'm sure someone will come forward with better evidence and we'll all be wiser for it. ;)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Perfect thanks guys I'm looking into the possibilities. It didn't pop, it's not a pimple unless it's a friggin monster. I'll see about if its an ingrown hair. It seems to be shrinking, so hopefully it all goes well.

Topia on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I had something horrible on the inside edge of my nose, made worse by a pimple being on the other side outside my nose. It took effort from someone who wasn't me to get that fucker to drain.
    I cried. A lot.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I once got cellulitis of the face from a boil in my nose. That was exciting and life-threatening and generally ridiculous.

My advice would be to avoid squeezing anything that's so far up your nose you can't see it. It'll probably clear up in a week or two on its own. If it doesn't, go to a doctor. If it's going away on its own, then that is good.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    EenerEener Registered User new member
    edited December 2009
    If you have any swelling, pain (more than you would expect) or redness, especially spreading, go to the doctor. It could be a staph infection of the skin, or cellulitis, which can be very dangerous. I know because it happened to me and was barely caught in time, as I just assumed it was a cold sore turned sinus infection. My nose was swollen from the sore site up to my eyes, on both sides, and the nose itself was sore to the touch. My doctor said it can spread from your skin to other parts of your body, quickly. After taking antibiotics, however, I noticed immediate improvement. Don't delay if you have or develop these symptoms. Better sitting in the doctors office for an hour than being in the hospital.

Eener on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Fascinating! Aye, I've never even heard of such a condition before... indeed, that's good to know about.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095