As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Digital Photo Frames

DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
So it's somewhat last minute, but I was thinking about what to get my mother for Christmas. She has a pretty good digital camera and likes to take photos, so I figure one of those fancy frames would make a good gift. Sadly, I know nearly nothing about them. What brands do people recommend, and what should I look for in a digital frame? The requirements I am going by is something that can work with Macs, and not too hard to use.

Thanks!

"I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
DragonPup on

• Options
    HoundxHoundx Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Kodak and Philips are the two main choices at big box stores. I can tell you that both are pretty easy to use. Just put some jpgs on an sd card, stick it in and they work. Really the hardest choice to make is if you'd rather get a 4:3 ratio or 16:9. If she has a point and shoot camera then 4:3 is probably the right choice. That being the case, Walmart has a Philips 4:3 7" frame for $57 that's pretty decent. We just picked one up for my wife's stepmother last night.

edit: By default the Philips is set to zoom the pics to fill the frame. This might work for snapshots but if your GF has any skill as a photographer then she'll have most of her photos framed properly, etc and zooming totally screws it up. Preload some pics then set it to show them at the original size. The manual might make it appear that this setting is per photo but it's actually global. I went through all this yesterday when loading this one up. Also, it does not include an SD card.

Houndx on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    My wife has been eying one from the Smartpants brand. I don't really know anything about them otherwise, but our local Fred Meyers has several of them on display, and the screen quality is fantastic.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    Hmm, after looking at the one she has on her amazon wish list, I'd suggest staying away from Smartpants. It looks like it doesn't deal all that well with either too many files, or too large of files.

For a little bit more at the same size, Opteka has much better ratings.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    crazytomcrazytom Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    yeah i was thinking of getting my dad one of these for father's day, this one, the vizit (vizitme.com) looks pretty cool, you can send pictures from your phone and the internet and even from the frame itself, what do you guys think?

crazytom on
  • Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    A photo frame with a subscription?

I suppose it's a good idea if:

- He's not tech-savvy (to copy pics onto the device himself)
    - You live far away from your dad (where you couldn't update the frame for him)
    - You'll also pay for the subscription (you wouldn't want to buy him a gift where he has to pay ongoing costs...)

Just a thought.

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    yeah those are all true in my case, but the subscription is definitely worth it for all the sweet features it has making it completely cellular and the ability for letting other family members besides myself even upload pics as well and the ability to share and reply to photos from the frame, it looks like vizit is the only frame that does that

crazytom on
  • Options
    RendonRendon Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The one I purchased for my wife does not handle large files very well, so every picture we put in it has to be re-sized down. This was an annoying surprise. Not much advice on what to buy other than this to watch out of.

Rendon on
    Cheese is great.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    okay so that video I mentioned, we remade it and now its amazing, check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qbxul5uMUg

crazytom on