As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Credit Card Fraud

InfidelInfidel HereticRegistered User regular
edited December 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I found a few bizarre transactions on my bill. A couple small transactions for I don't know what at $5 and $10 exactly, and then one for $282.11 with the description GREEN SMOKE. From the looks of things it's likely actually this company.

Contacted my credit company and dispute filed, they're sending me some paperwork. This occurred over two days at the end of the month, and there haven't been any other odd transactions.

I really hate how I have barely fuck all about these transactions. Is there anything I can do to maybe be able to sort these out? Or do I just dispute and get a new credit card issued. :P If it's somehow someone I know, that would be nice to find out.

The $5 transaction was reversed seemingly a few days later, before I ever noticed this.

If my card number was somehow stolen via online transactions, I'm really confused as to when that could have happened. I'm honestly more worried about finding out what happened than my card being at risk, just replacing shit doesn't seem satisfactory.

OrokosPA.png
Infidel on

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm not going to click on some random site, but a lot of times crappy companies will do those pop-over windows when you buy on another site - essentially trying to trick you into buying from them. Also will have "special offers" before you confirm your purchase, etc.

So your CC may not have been compromised. Still should get a new card, though.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    I'm not going to click on some random site, but a lot of times crappy companies will do those pop-over windows when you buy on another site - essentially trying to trick you into buying from them. Also will have "special offers" before you confirm your purchase, etc.

I doubt this is what's happened here... if it were, he'd have gotten the product from them, and that looks like a legit web site to me. (Honestly, I'm considering whether to point my father-in-law at the product, I'll bet he'd save a bundle...)

That being said, there are about a zillion ways for someone to get your credit card info, so I don't know that you'll ever figure out exactly what happened.

You could contact customer service at GreenSmoke and either (a) tell them the truth or (b) try to fake them out by saying you never received your order and asking them to read back the delivery address to you in case you typed it in wrong or something. However, your credit card company has already flagged the purchase for investigation, and they'll be getting the delivery address from them. Any call the merchant gets regarding this purchase is going to be flagged pretty strongly.

If they can find the person, the credit card company will be pursuing the legal angle. Your best bet is probably to stay on good terms with their investigation team and see if you can get them to relay any info they find out.

Nerissa on
  • Options
    AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Nerissa wrote: »
    MichaelLC wrote: »

I doubt this is what's happened here... if it were, he'd have gotten the product from them, and that looks like a legit web site to me. (Honestly, I'm considering whether to point my father-in-law at the product, I'll bet he'd save a bundle...)

Little off-topic here, but FYI: http://www.njoythefreedom.com/ I've actually used these electronic smokes and they're good. They're actually pretty good at helping people quit as well.

On-topic - As long as your credit-card company is after them, leave them to it. Get a new card as well. My Dad had a similar thing happen with some douche buying WoW timecards with his credit card. He figured either someone copied it at a restaurant or a hotel he'd been to (he drives trucks all over) so it could have been anywhere.

Aurin on
  • Options
    TejsTejs Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It's better to just work with the Credit Card company to dispute all the charges.

Also, regardless of whether you get a new card or not, if you don't have a document shredder, buy one. It's invaluable for making sure any paper trash you get (even the ones going to you or current resident) get mangled such that anyone rifling through the trash can't get any info.

Tejs on
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Tejs wrote: »
    It's better to just work with the Credit Card company to dispute all the charges.

Also, regardless of whether you get a new card or not, if you don't have a document shredder, buy one. It's invaluable for making sure any paper trash you get (even the ones going to you or current resident) get mangled such that anyone rifling through the trash can't get any info.

Definitely get a shredder. My shredder helps me sleep better at night. I run anything that has any information on it that can even be remotely tied to me, including envelopes.

Also, disputing a credit card charge usually isn't that big of a deal. I had my card info stolen once and two rather large charges at out of state gas stations show up. The card company actually called me to ask about that. Basically, they immediately canceled the card and sent a new one. The paper work you fill out is really just confirming your basic info that they've already got and listing the charges you're disputing. After that, just send it back. If you don't have a history of disputing a ton of charges, there shouldn't be a problem. Send the paperwork back in a timely fashion and it's the company's problem to deal with. They'll handle everything from there.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If you suspect any credit card fraud or identity theft, file a police report. Sounds stupid, but if anything severe happens, you have it on file and it helps back up your case. I work in mortgages and unfortunately see this stuff all the time. A police report lends a lot of weight to the severity you took this.

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • Options
    samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Dalboz wrote: »

Definitely get a shredder. My shredder helps me sleep better at night. I run anything that has any information on it that can even be remotely tied to me, including envelopes.

Also, disputing a credit card charge usually isn't that big of a deal. I had my card info stolen once and two rather large charges at out of state gas stations show up. The card company actually called me to ask about that. Basically, they immediately canceled the card and sent a new one. The paper work you fill out is really just confirming your basic info that they've already got and listing the charges you're disputing. After that, just send it back. If you don't have a history of disputing a ton of charges, there shouldn't be a problem. Send the paperwork back in a timely fashion and it's the company's problem to deal with. They'll handle everything from there.

You can get a shredder, dragon, or sky lazer and it takes 1 waiter with photograph memory to steal your number and fuck with your credit. I knew a guy that worked at Applebees that would take your card, ask for your driver licence to "conform the name on the card", then go in the back and write your address and card info down. He buy small stuff, send it to his cousin's old house and laughed as he got away with it. 2 years and $15,000 dollars later, he got busted and is now going on trial this March.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You can get a shredder, dragon, or sky lazer and it takes 1 waiter with photograph memory to steal your number and fuck with your credit. I knew a guy that worked at Applebees that would take your card, ask for your driver licence to "conform the name on the card", then go in the back and write your address and card info down. He buy small stuff, send it to his cousin's old house and laughed as he got away with it. 2 years and $15,000 dollars later, he got busted and is now going on trial this March.

Let's expand on this. Anywhere you ever use your credit card you are at risk of theft. Anywhere. And it is only getting worse as time goes on. I have 1 credit card only for online use and have it set up to verify all purchases. I have 1 credit card for in person use and use it only in emergencies when I run out of cash. I spend cash on everything, and I only use ATM's from my bank at the bank office itself. And never use a debit card for a purchase. Your bank will not fight to get your money back and certainly won't give it back either.

Sorry for the rant, but I see this every single day. Most of the time if you have any type of credit theft you won't be out the cash, but you sure are out all the time and hassle of fighting for it.

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • Options
    TejsTejs Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Dalboz wrote: »

I don't think there is any kind of defense for a social engineering attack on your credit identity other than to just be distrustful of everyone - and that has benefits and drawbacks.

Tejs on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2009

The moral here is to treat a credit card like you treat a wallet full of money - let people hold it, but don't let them walk out of your sight with it.

Echo on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Echo wrote: »

The moral here is to treat a credit card like you treat a wallet full of money - let people hold it, but don't let them walk out of your sight with it.

Pretty much impossible at the vast majority of sit-down restaurants in the US, where servers do not have those nifty portable card readers that you see throughout Europe so often.

Ketar on
  • Options
    EverywhereasignEverywhereasign Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Perhaps other have had more negative experiences with credit card fraud. But I've disputed a few charges in the past, and it's never been a big deal. You talk to a rep who walks you through the process, they send you a new card and a document to initial all your real transaction and sign the bottom stating that the others are not yours. By the time you get the next bill they've waived those charges and any fees associated with them.

It usually involves a few phone calls, and mailing and signing a few documents, I've been through much worse legal BS.

I make sure I check my bill monthly, I shred everything with any personal info on it, and I do my best to keep an eye on my card. Cards can be skimmed so incredibly easily, I know I can't prevent it 100% of the time. In the end, I pay the credit card company fees to deal with this type of situation. It's part of their job.

Everywhereasign on
    "What are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Batman!"
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Thanks for the advice. I was hoping I could somehow figure out where I went wrong if at all, but I may never find out I guess.

I usually borrow the shredder at work when tossing mail.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ketar wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »

Pretty much impossible at the vast majority of sit-down restaurants in the US, where servers do not have those nifty portable card readers that you see throughout Europe so often.

Man I don't let my card out of my site. If I'm at a place like that, I'll take the bill and my card to their CC terminal on the way out of the restaurant.

[edit] Also any documents with my name on them that I need to dispose of gets incinerated in my parent's wood furnace or in one of their bi-monthly bonfires during the summer (makes excellent kindling). I recommend an enclosed fire pit if you plan on doing that, especially on a breezy day.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    Call your credit card company. Put out a fraud alert. It will make it at least quite difficult without a good knowledge of your overall identity for someone to steal from you by creating bogus credit accounts.

You are not liable under any American or Canadian law that I am familiar with (and I am NOT a lawyer though I am pretty familiar with the subject) for fraudulent purchases. I would work with your CC company to the best of your ability, but don't be afraid to involve a lawyer if you find yourself in a tight corner and the advice you get indicates that you could sue for costs on top of losses.

In most cases though, the banks and CC companies are all too happy to refund fraudulent claims under the table so that they can fess up to fewer fraudulent claims and hide the degree to which their systems are inherently vulnerable.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH