As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The "I Just Don't Get It" Thread

• Options
    gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Guild Wars, I also love the concept. But the it needs more Diablo type of action.

GTA, I have fun for a week and then I just don't care anymore. Had alot more fun with GTA I + II, but maybe that was because I was younger.

Tomb Raider, puzzles were rather boring to me, and the controls dont feel as good as many other platformers. Legend lookes nice, but I just don't like the fighting system.

Any console FPS, I im just too much of a noob when it comes to FPS with a controller. Strangely, I hate the auto-aim system too. I think I just like Counter-Strike (1.x) and Quake/UT too much.

Counter-Strike: Source, I still prefer 1.x over Source and I have no idea why.

WWII shooters, I really don't find the second World War to be fascinating or whatever. And part of the fun in those games is based on being in this war.

Command & Conquer, I LOVED Red Alert (1st one) as a kid. But I never liked Command & Conquer it was so dull. Soundtrack is partly to blame I guess. Red Alert WAS a WWII game but it had so much humor in it that it was just so fun.

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • Options
    jimmy8091jimmy8091 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    yalborap wrote:
    Darlan wrote:
    yalborap wrote:
    Roshin wrote:
    Lumines Live.
    I had heard so much about this one, so when it appeared on XBLA, I tried the demo and it turned out to be a Tetris games with bells on. I played it for a while, hoping that the real game would magically appear, but it never did. I don't see what the big deal is.

If memory serves, Lumines Live doesn't have the same boards as Lumines. Or am I wrong on that? Either way, a good chunk of what makes Lumines so addictive is the musical element, where the tunes subtly change based on your actions.
    I can definitively see not getting into Lumines, but what I found most fun about it was the chains: it's so satisfying to spend a long time setting up an explosion that clears half the total screen and gives you a "eliminate all of one color" bonus. I can also see portability adding a lot to it too, I was only ever interested in Gameboy/Cellphone versions of even the original Tetris.

You see, I have no talent in that sort of thing, and never have, so it's purely the musical element and the fun that makes me enjoy it.

I bought Lumines based on the strength of the reviews on this board. I still don't get it. You match colours. That's pretty much it.

jimmy8091 on
    I adblock your sigs.
  • Options
    WillyFourEyesWillyFourEyes Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Any first-person shooter set in World War II that doesn't have the "Call of Duty" moniker attached to it. Sorry...I've been spoiled by Call of Duty 2 on the Xbox 360. The sub-genre's gone way past the saturation point.

Ditto Nintendogs. I bought it for my sister for Christmas, and then I bought it for myself just for kicks. Maybe it's because I have a grating voice, but my damn dog doesn't seem to recognize anything I say. Plus, I don't like to babysit something I can't control. That's why I prefer playing Animal Crossing, damn it!

WillyFourEyes on
  • Options
    Si SenorSi Senor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    why the fuck does everyone hate metroid prime? the plot isn't really the important thing. if you came looking for a story, you're looking in the wrong place, because metroid prime 1 + 2 have the most story in a metroid game ever. super metroid's plot was essentiallly that 'a baby metroid had been stolen, are you a bad enough dudette to rescue the metroid'.
    I'm sorry that the combat is just lock-on plus A. I can see where you are coming from, because all other games use a variety of complex button presses to kill their enemies.
    If you just don't get it, that's fine, it isn't for you. but god above, stop shitting on it. it's not metroid prime's fault that you can't get into it.

Si Senor on
    sigging2.jpg
  • Options
    Blitz RawketBlitz Rawket Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't know how apt this is, because I do "get it," but...Grim Fandango. I loved the entire concept behind it, I loved the characters, but its brain benders came to drive me nuts. I eventually just found my brain going numb a lot of the time and missing out on even the easiest solutions. I guess its style just wasn't for me.

I would certainly love to watch someone play it, though, or play it amidst a group so we could all put our heads together.

Blitz Rawket on
  • Options
    cherv1cherv1 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I have Prince of Persia: Sands of Time sitting next to my Gamecube in the other room. I didn't play it for ages, then tried to play it again and I just can't get into it.... I dunno, the rewinding time thing is kinda cool, but....

cherv1 on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Racing sims.

borring...

LewieP on
  • Options
    CheezyCheezy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    MGS3. I am having trouble finding this fun. Go across three screens, watch a 20 minute cutscene. Go across three screens, watch a 20 minute cutscene. Ad nauseam. Does it get better?

Cheezy on
  • Options
    Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Thread needs more of what people prefer instead, since a lot of these are kind of frustrating. What FPS isn't, at heart, an excuse to find the next locked door? Unless you're talking about Q3 or CS, I suppose. Which you should say so, if that's the case, since it's obvious the suspension of disbelief simply doesn't work for you. Ditto Final Fantasies... if you don't get JRPGs as a whole, fair enough, but some indication of that would be good.

Lucasarts adventures for me, personally. Monkey Island in particular. It's more a case of "everyone says they're good, therefore I ought to like them", but still... they get showered with all this critical and public acclaim, but all I see is a bunch of ridiculously obtuse puzzles no-one whose brain isn't fundamentally warped could possibly get their heads around and a series of smartass, obnoxious wisecracks with no purpose other than to point out how clever the writers supposedly are. I liked Grim Fandango's setting and story, and The Dig's, since those actually displayed genuine intelligence and creativity - though the puzzles still just drove me up the wall. And I enjoyed Psychonauts a fair bit, so it's not as if I don't think Tim Schafer's got talent. But mostly it just seems like an awful lot of backslapping over nothing.

Lame humour in videogames, too. Take one example - I wish I could find Minsc funny, I really do. I'm prepared to admit it's very subjective, but it still baffles me. Wildly incongruous, pointless, throwaway running gags in the middle of my otherwise fairly serious fantasy adventure with pretensions to greatness piss me the fuck off. Why doesn't anyone else feel the same? <shrugs> :P

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • Options
    zubismanzubisman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Thread needs more of what people prefer instead, since a lot of these are kind of frustrating. What FPS isn't, at heart, an excuse to find the next locked door? Unless you're talking about Q3 or CS, I suppose. Which you should say so, if that's the case, since it's obvious the suspension of disbelief simply doesn't work for you. Ditto Final Fantasies... if you don't get JRPGs as a whole, fair enough, but some indication of that would be good.

Lucasarts adventures for me, personally. Monkey Island in particular. It's more a case of "everyone says they're good, therefore I ought to like them", but still... they get showered with all this critical and public acclaim, but all I see is a bunch of ridiculously obtuse puzzles no-one whose brain isn't fundamentally warped could possibly get their heads around and a series of smartass, obnoxious wisecracks with no purpose other than to point out how clever the writers supposedly are. I liked Grim Fandango's setting and story, and The Dig's, since those actually displayed genuine intelligence and creativity - though the puzzles still just drove me up the wall. And I enjoyed Psychonauts a fair bit, so it's not as if I don't think Tim Schafer's got talent. But mostly it just seems like an awful lot of backslapping over nothing.

Lame humour in videogames, too. Take one example - I wish I could find Minsc funny, I really do. I'm prepared to admit it's very subjective, but it still baffles me. Wildly incongruous, pointless, throwaway running gags in the middle of my otherwise fairly serious fantasy adventure with pretensions to greatness piss me the fuck off. Why doesn't anyone else feel the same? <shrugs> :P

Perhaps you need to try the new Sam and Max games. They're funny AND the gameplay kicks ass.

zubisman on
  • Options
    Blitz RawketBlitz Rawket Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Cheezy wrote:
    MGS3. I am having trouble finding this fun. Go across three screens, watch a 20 minute cutscene. Go across three screens, watch a 20 minute cutscene. Ad nauseam. Does it get better?
    If that pattern bothers you, probably not.

Blitz Rawket on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Baldurs Gate 2. It's like Planescape: Torment, but shit. (That's probably being a bit harsh, but PS:T was so, so very good and everything was perfect, and then I had to put up with fairly crappy graphics and $%^ing bitch Aerie whining about if I loved her.)

I also did not like Minsc. (even in the first game).

Outside of that, Ocarina of Time. (only 8 or so hours in mind) It's like windwaker, only with crappy graphics.

Metroid Prime, for the same reason everyone else has mentioned.

Metal Gear Solid and the people that say it's got a good story

Rook on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    zubisman wrote:
    *stuff*

Perhaps you need to try the new Sam and Max games. They're funny AND the gameplay kicks ass.

I like Sam & Max better than some of the old Lucasarts games, I admit - but they did tend towards the "look, look, we're so clever" stuff a tad, and what little I did play didn't strike me as being any different from the norm.

Plus I'd be very slow to touch anything from Telltale after what they did to Bone. :P Sorry, nothing short of a multi-million dollar mega-production on the scale of LOTR would satisfy me there, not some kitchen sink cheap'n'cheerful shit. It's just one thing over which I can't help but be a jerk. :D

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

• Options
    firesidefireside Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    JRPGs (especially ones with random battles). I just can't see how anyone can find them fun. What is so fun about walking across a map, only to get into a random battle from some invisible enemy, only to be bored sitting a screen choosing what your character does only to wait a minute so you can choose something else? And once you beat the battle, you get to do it over again. Random battles made since, you know, on FF1, but why the hell 20 years later, when Earthbound and even Chrono Trigger did it, are we still not having enemies that are, you know, on the fucking screen? That you can, you know, see, and maybe if you have mad skillz, can avoid? I just don't get it.

Also, to the people complaining about Metroid Prime, don't worry about it. You were probably beaten as a child or something, so it's not entirely your fault that you can grasp it's greatness. The Metroid series is the only game series in the world where "fetch quests" actually 'work'. Do you know why they work? Because no one is telling you to fetch anything. You're stuck, and you have to find a way out. Which is why the key hunting quests at the end of Prime 1 and 2 suck balls so much, even though the MO of Metroid is fetching stuff. You're told to fetch this stuff, so it's no longer fun. Also they work because the stuff you're fetching isn't inconsequential. You're not finding someone's shitty dog, you're finding the motherfucking Plasma beam. Something useful.

fireside on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    All of the NIS SRPGs. Makai Kingdom, Disgaea, Phantom Brave... I like SRPGs, I like NIS' art style, and I like the humor, but for some reason, the games bore the crap out of me.

.... so, I've pretty much put out a warrant for my lynching now, huh?

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Shadowfire wrote:
    All of the NIS SRPGs. Makai Kingdom, Disgaea, Phantom Brave... I like SRPGs, I like NIS' art style, and I like the humor, but for some reason, the games bore the crap out of me.

I don't have a problem with that opinion at all. I didn't really like Phantom Brave, and right now I'm playing Disgaea 2. Sort of. When I am playing it I can go for hours just to screw around in some pointless item world so that I can unlock the next class, but when I'm not playing it the whole process makes no sense to me at all and I'm having trouble going back.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Obligatory "Halo" shout-out. I have no idea why people love it so much.

Dark Ages of Camelot. Ok, it wasn't the most popular MMORPG, but fuck if it wasn't the most boring as well. I don't know how it captivated anyone for longer than a week.

Even worse than DAoC is Final Fantasy XI. I just...I just do not get its popularity. The "Final Fantasy" moniker can only carry such a timesink so far. I mean, people have outright told me that the game "isn't fun until you hit level 75." Come on.

Final Fantasy VI and Final Fantasy IX. I'm gonna get shit for this, but I truly think Final Fantasy IX is not only the absolute worst of all Final Fantasies, but also a travesty as an RPG. I cannot understand why people like it so much. Final Fantasy VI just seems boring to me, though my feelings aren't outright hateful of it, like with Final Fantasy IX.

Warioware, in any flavor. This is an odd thing to put on my list, because I actually like Warioware (I have Warioware Touched). I do not have any idea why even I like this game. It's very addicting. I don't get it. But I like it. I just don't know why.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Page- wrote:
    Shadowfire wrote:

I don't have a problem with that opinion at all. I didn't really like Phantom Brave, and right now I'm playing Disgaea 2. Sort of. When I am playing it I can go for hours just to screw around in some pointless item world so that I can unlock the next class, but when I'm not playing it the whole process makes no sense to me at all and I'm having trouble going back.

To be honest, I'm an RPG/grid/tactical and T/SRPG whore, but I can understand why someone would find the NIS series boring. La Pucelle and Phantom Brave, to me, are two of the most mindlessly annoying games ever.

I really liked Disgaea and Makai Kingdom though. *shrug*

Drez on
  • Options
    Si SenorSi Senor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    fireside wrote:
    Also, to the people complaining about Metroid Prime, don't worry about it. You were probably beaten as a child or something, so it's not entirely your fault that you can grasp it's greatness. The Metroid series is the only game series in the world where "fetch quests" actually 'work'. Do you know why they work? Because no one is telling you to fetch anything. You're stuck, and you have to find a way out. Which is why the key hunting quests at the end of Prime 1 and 2 suck balls so much, even though the MO of Metroid is fetching stuff. You're told to fetch this stuff, so it's no longer fun. Also they work because the stuff you're fetching isn't inconsequential. You're not finding someone's shitty dog, you're finding the motherfucking Plasma beam. Something useful.

you don't know how much this means to me

Si Senor on
    sigging2.jpg
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ok, i'll put my vote towards pretty much every NIS SRPG as was said above..i *love* srpgs in general..but making me grind in item worlds or wherever for hours on end to make my characters able to pass the missions? fuck that grinding is *not* strategy.

and i'll also put in another vote to the metroid primes..they were just..boring..all around

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I basically don't "get" the entire FPS genre. I think the last true FPS game (Metroid Prime games don't count) I played and enjoyed was Goldeneye for N64. Everything since then has just been "meh" to me. Especially Halo. Why do people like it so much? My fraternity brothers spent almost a year playing Halo every damn night for HOURS. Over and over and over again. I just don't get it.

A subset of that: WW2 games. Both my Grandparents were in WW2, and I just can't play these games partially for that reason. I mean, I know people that LIVED this. It's not something you can take and make a fun game out of. And when I shoot those German soilders, I can't help but think that hey, not everybody in the German army was a hardcore evil Nazi. Some were just normal people like you and me that were simply in the army. I can get behind killing evil aliens from deminsion X, or mutant evil zombies, but I just can't figure out while killing REAL people is fun.

As for the Metroid Prime games: Yeah, I admit that they do get tedius at times, but I still enjoy them (though I did use a strategy guide to complete both of them, but part of that was due to the fact that I just don't have the TIME anymore to wander around figuring out what to do next).

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    InitialDKInitialDK Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I "like" just about everything, however it usually comes down to my attention span.

I've tried so many MMOs but I just can't get into them. I can maybe spend about an hour or two a day meanwhile my friends spend seven and out level me to the point where they won't quest with me and the game instantly becomes boring. I guess I'm too lazy to make new friends.

I don't like playing Smash Bros. single-player but get some friends in on the action and it's one of my favorite.

InitialDK on
    "I'd happily trade your life for knowledge of my powers."
    -Louis C.K.
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    yalborap wrote:
    yalborap wrote:
    No matter how many times I try the Dead Rising demo I just hate it. It just seems so boring and the controls are terrible.

The big thing about Dead Rising is all the sheer weapons. Realize that there are over two hundred things you can beat, slice, or shoot the undead to redeath with, up to and including your goddamn SPIT. That's what makes it so awesome.

Yes, I know that there are several hundred ways of killing and humiliating your zombie enemies throughout the game and I know that that is fun. But I just didn't really have fun with the demo.

The most fun I had was throwing cash registers, bins and benches at groups of zombies. All the impromptu weapons which you could use made me get some enjoyment out of it.

Every time I hear something about Dead Rising I always think to myself, "Yeah, everyone loves that game. Maybe I should try it again", only to have myself be dissapointed by it each time I attempt to like it. What I don't like is that as soon as you start you've got to "help Brad" or something and yet there is no indication on where to go or how to help him. I would have liked to do a mission or something instead of just wandering around a shopping centre for 15 minutes bashing zombies with chairs and toy lightsabers.

After me saying all this I'm sure that you would think that the full game would be more my style since of course you do get to do missions and all that jazz. But I'm still on the fence about it.

Also, another thing that I instantly hated about it was the "mall music" that plays constantly. That might be the main thing that's putting me off the game. I'll try it again with my iPod pumping out some of my favourite tunes while I'm smashing zombies and see if that helps.

It looks like such a quality game and I really do want to like it. I hope that eventually it will just click and I'll enjoy it.

Demo only?

Yeah, there's an arrow to tell you which direction to go, but you can't help him in the demo. The instant you try to leave that area of the mall, you get one of...Four cutscenes, I think. It's four, right? One outside to that middle area, one to the area with the clothing, one for the movie theater and one for the door to the warehouse, yes?

Ya'll missing the main point... The Demo fucking sucks for Dead Rising. I hated the demo, but still bought the game. When you actually have an objective in the game, it's much MUCH more fun. Demo gives you nothing... go kill zombies ha ha ha

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I basically don't "get" the entire FPS genre. I think the last true FPS game (Metroid Prime games don't count) I played and enjoyed was Goldeneye for N64. Everything since then has just been "meh" to me. Especially Halo. Why do people like it so much? My fraternity brothers spent almost a year playing Halo every damn night for HOURS. Over and over and over again. I just don't get it.

A subset of that: WW2 games. Both my Grandparents were in WW2, and I just can't play these games partially for that reason. I mean, I know people that LIVED this. It's not something you can take and make a fun game out of. And when I shoot those German soilders, I can't help but think that hey, not everybody in the German army was a hardcore evil Nazi. Some were just normal people like you and me that were simply in the army. I can get behind killing evil aliens from deminsion X, or mutant evil zombies, but I just can't figure out while killing REAL people is fun.

As for the Metroid Prime games: Yeah, I admit that they do get tedius at times, but I still enjoy them (though I did use a strategy guide to complete both of them, but part of that was due to the fact that I just don't have the TIME anymore to wander around figuring out what to do next).

You do know that almost every current gamer beyond their midteens, and possibly even younger, "knows someone" that was involved in World War 2. I...don't really get your aversion to gameifying that era based on what you've said.

I will say that you CAN take it and make a fun game out of it, because Medal of Honor was a fun game, Company of Heroes is a fun game, and there have been many, many, many others in the FPS, Strategy, and War genres for...well, ever since computer games have existed.

Drez on
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Shadowfire wrote:

Don't worry, I don't like 'em too. Largely because there's no strategy involved. It all comes down to powerleveling. There was no reason for you to make a long drawn out plan for your party when you could just as easily hop into a random item world level, level up a random assortment of characters and then just clean house with them. Hell, with a high enough level, your magic casters can eliminate enemies with their physical attacks. That should never, ever happen. If it says that a unit is weak to "given attack type A" then that unit should fear for its life that it's going to be hit by given attack type A, regardless of level. It is valuable for a game to be loseable. It creates stress and tension. And for a genre like tactical RPGs, stress and tension should be very important. A player shouldn't just be able to blindly attack; there's no strategy in that. Strategy and tactics only come into their fullest flower when something significant is on the line.

So how do you solve that? Do we remove levels? I for one, think that leveling shouldn't be a huge factor in games like these, or if it should even allow leveling at all. Some of the best turn based-games I've played have no levels involved or they take a backseat to a more important factor. Look at Fire Emblem. It's there, but it isn't a huge factor; how you tactically use your weapons is typically a more decisive influence. Tabletop miniature games like Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40,000 have no levels, yet they provide layers upon layers of strategy and tactics, much more than any of the NIS games can offer at least. X-COM is another good example, one I hope all of you are familiar with. Need I go on?

Real-time strategy games have always been able to innovate in some small way that drastically changes the way you play, especially in recent years, so much so that they are proving much more "thinking man's strategy game" than turn-based games, an arena which the latter used to dominate. One need only look at Company of Heroes to see how far that genre has gone in terms of providing you with limitless options with how to tactically approach a given situation. Yet I look at Disgaea 2 and see the accolades and praise continually poured upon a broken system without remembering the good old days of X-COM.

Sorry for the long rant. I just felt I had to justify myself fairly before I started bashing the game outright. Any opposing viewpoints are most welcome. Just keep it civil.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Halo - So, so underwhelming. I really don't see why people go crazy for it.

Super Smash Bros. Melee - I just can't play this. I invariably end up mashing the buttons while strategy goes flying out the window. I never win and I can't get into it at all. I can see it's a fun game. But that fun is not for me.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:

You do know that almost every current gamer in America, the UK, France and Germany beyond their midteens, and possibly even younger, "knows someone" that was involved in World War 2. I...don't really get your aversion to gameifying that era based on what you've said.

I will say that you CAN take it and make a fun game out of it, because Medal of Honor was a fun game, Company of Heroes is a fun game, and there have been many, many, many others in the FPS, Strategy, and War genres for...well, ever since computer games have existed.

Fixed.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Rohan wrote:
    Drez wrote:

You do know that almost every current gamer in America, the UK, France and Germany beyond their midteens, and possibly even younger, "knows someone" that was involved in World War 2. I...don't really get your aversion to gameifying that era based on what you've said.

Fixed.

Russia? Italy? Japan?

edit: Poland?

Drez on
  • Options
    MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Here's what I hate/Don't get. It all started when I was looking through a GameFAQs board awhile ago, and someone mentioned the upcoming Final Fantasy tacticas Advance sequel, and talked about how they hoped it would be "Dark and Gritty." This practically made me want to pull my own teeth out. I don't understand the preconception some type of fans have with everything being "Dark and gritty." I fully expect that these peole want a "Dark and gritty" Pokemon game too.

Do these people have something against color? Against characters that aren't horribly physically abused by parents/lovers/guardians/squirrels in their past? Against the physical lack of angst? Against the possibilty of a character actually being someone who takes action without whallowing in misery. A game where you dress in something other than black.

I do have a theory. These games are created for people who, deep down. are ashamed at themselves for playing videogames. They're gamers, but a part of them sees games as "Kiddie." People who badmouth the DS often fall into this category (In my experience). These people hate the fact that kids play videogames (they do, trust me) because it makes the fact that they play videogames more "shameful" in their own eyes. If kids didn't play videogames then games would be "for adults" (you know, like them) and thus they would have no more reason to harbor their shame.

I've noticed this trend in other genres too, most noticably the American Comic book genre where kid hatred is much larger than it is here.

Now I know not all gamers who play "Dark and Gritty" games are like that but this is just my observation and feeling.

Matthew on
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't get Fighting Games.

Doesn't matter what it is, from SF, to DOA to guilty Gear.

I always feel like the whole game is pointless, no "boss" or levels/story to go through. I am probably glossing over the huge backstories etc.. of some games but I never see that *in* the game.

This is a problem because a very good friend of mine just loves fighting games and loves kicking the crap out of me in them.

Where's all the new generation "Knights of the round" and "streets of rage" games.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Halo, most definitely.

I played the first game, was uniformly unimpressed. Thought it was dull, unimaginative, had horrendous level design, and was just generally a complete failure. Outside of the multiplayer, which I don't care about, I could never understand why people liked it. I really want to like Halo, as Bungie are ultimately very good storytellers, and the production value can't be denied.

So I tried Halo 2, thinking that it might be better. It was. But not a helluva lot better. The gameplay was smoother, and the level design better, but it was still dull as hell, contrived and just felt completely pointless overall. Now, I did like the story more this time around, but we all know how that ended.

I still don't give a hoot about the multiplayer, so I guess much of the appeal is lost on me. I'm sure I'll get Halo 3 at some point just to see how it has evolved, but I'm not really craving it at all.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I'm really kind of excited about Halo 3 despite the fact that Halo was subpar and Halo 2 was a little silly to me.

Drez on
  • Options
    Elessar ElfstoneElessar Elfstone Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I bought that GTA3 / VC pack for Xbox based on my friends ranting that they were the best games ever. I think I played them for like 2 hours a piece before getting bored to tears.

Elessar Elfstone on
    Tobias: Or it could be your colon. I'd want to get in there and find some answers.

Forsake, Warlock of Stonemaul
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    fireside wrote:
    JRPGs (especially ones with random battles). I just can't see how anyone can find them fun. What is so fun about walking across a map, only to get into a random battle from some invisible enemy, only to be bored sitting a screen choosing what your character does only to wait a minute so you can choose something else? And once you beat the battle, you get to do it over again. Random battles made since, you know, on FF1, but why the hell 20 years later, when Earthbound and even Chrono Trigger did it, are we still not having enemies that are, you know, on the fucking screen? That you can, you know, see, and maybe if you have mad skillz, can avoid? I just don't get it.

But do you like any kind of RPG at all? Opinions opinions lol - I just can't get my head around this unspoken implication that Western games are somehow magically free of the same or equivalent of said drudgery as some see it. They're not. They're really not. Nor does not having any random battles somehow stick game A on a totally different level to game B (though of course I'm not arguing that invisible random battles are anything other than a frustrating anachronism :P ). I dislike most SNES-era RPGs and never played any at the time they were originally released, but still, Chrono Trigger was pretty much as boring to me as FFVI.

Eight Rooks on

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    Rohan wrote:
    Drez wrote:

Fixed.

Russia? Italy? Japan?

India? China? Australia?

Well maybe not India but I'm trying to get basically the whole population of earth involved here.

[Edit] Oh yea some of the worst fighting was in the balkans so we better add Yugoslavia/Greece

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't get Splinter Cell. I seems like there is only one correct way of doing something and if you don't do it, you will get killed.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    Rohan wrote:
    Drez wrote:

Fixed.

Russia? Italy? Japan?

India? China? Australia?

Well maybe not India but I'm trying to get basically the whole population of earth involved here.

[Edit] Oh yea some of the worst fighting was in the balkans so we better add Yugoslavia/Greece

I support you in that endeavor. I thought my "almost every current gamer" actually accurately reflected the correct population affected by World War II, but I guess we should just keep listing countries.

Unfortunately, History was always my weakest subject, so you're on your own. Keep to the cause!

Drez on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Rook wrote:
    Baldurs Gate 2. It's like Planescape: Torment, but shit. (That's probably being a bit harsh, but PS:T was so, so very good and everything was perfect, and then I had to put up with fairly crappy graphics and $%^ing bitch Aerie whining about if I loved her.)
    Planescape: Torment unquestionably has better story, setting and writing than Baldur's Gate 2. Baldur's Gate 2, however has a vastly better developed battle/equipment system at its core and interactions between members of your party rather than just with you.
    If only it were possible to fuse the best points of the two together.

Btw, Jaheira and Viconia are far better romances. Just tell Aerie to get lost in the nicest possible way.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Xagarath wrote:
    Rook wrote:
    Planescape: Torment unquestionably has better story, setting and writing than Baldur's Gate 2. Baldur's Gate 2, however has a vastly better developed battle/equipment system at its core and interactions between members of your party rather than just with you.
    If only it were possible to fuse the best points of the two together.

Btw, Jaheira and Viconia are far better romances. Just tell Aerie to get lost in the nicest possible way.

The thing with Planescape: Torment is that I almost don't give a shit about the actual game part. The story is so well-written that it surpasses almost everything else I've ever seen from any game, so even if the game mechanics are a blundering mess (which they are in some parts - like that boss fight in the plains after coming back from Hell or whatever...I dunno it's been a long-ass time since I've beaten it), I didn't really give a shit because it was so compelling.

Drez on
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Any card-based game ever. Be they actual, physical card games, or games with card-based battle mechanics. I just can't get into them.

Pokemon, Magic, YuGiOh, Warhammer... Tetra Master, Lost Kingdom, Baiten Kaitos...

I just don't get them.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX