As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Netflix Will Tear Us Apart

Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of KafiristanRegistered User regular
edited January 2010 in Social Entropy++
This is the movie thread. This is the only movie thread. All others are false prophets. All hail the movie thread.

What's going on in the news?
35 Criterion Collection movies are now on Netflix Instant watch
Pooro is objectively wrong about Stanley Kubrick
The Autuers is kind of a rip-off, but it's got a lot of good movies on it (some of which are free)
And in recent news, I just saw the new Coen brothers film for two dollars. It was pretty damn good. Fuck all the haters and all the babies.

Recommendations from PI:
The Man Who Would be King
The Duelists
Dear Zachary
The Thin Red Line
One, Two, Three
Head On (Will one of you fucks watch this instead of making a retarded joke about that headache treatment commercial?)
The Naked Prey
The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
Spartan

Penguin Incarnate on

• Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    i just watched the new star trek. pretty good, but i was annoyed with that one sound they kept using.

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    i saw Rock'n'Rolla the other day

it was good but
    the twist was exactly the same as Layer Cake

Faricazy on
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    HEAD ON

APPLY DIRECTLY TO YOUR TV FOR VIEWING PLEASURE

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Watched my District 9 blu-ray today, and somehow the movie was more tense and enjoyable the second time through than the first. It also looks extremely excellent in full HD.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    the cheat wrote: »
    i just watched the new star trek. pretty good, but i was annoyed with that one sound they kept using.

What? The sound of awesome?

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So, Up In the Air was great

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So because DVDs are being liquidated, I've been buying a ton of modestly terrible movies on the cheap.

It doesn't help that I'm still on a bit of a horror movie bend, so I've now purchased:
    Ju-On
    The Grudge
    The Grude 2
    The Ring
    The Ring Two
    The Rings (short films and a two documentaries)
    And to add insult to injury, I got that haunted house simulator for Wii (I don't currently own a Wii).

Planning on a fear-numbing marathon someday.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    What the fuck is the matter with you?

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    GSM you are gonna be so bored

The boredest

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Just flush twenty dollars down the toilet and save yourself twelve hours of mediocrity.

The fuck is the matter with you?

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The Ring is decent the rest suck

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    The Chinese are making an epic movie? What?

I am going to start spitballing a theory here:
    The Chinese, as an autocratic government, are basically mirroring other autocratic governments-- Francisco's Spain especially-- in their choices for making movies. Obviously the Chinese government gives a lot of tax breaks (if not funding) to the movie industry. What they choose to make is primarily "epic" and "historical" features, ones that don't exactly lend themselves to topicality. They're fables, basically. So either they're trying to escape into the legendary past, a past which they draw on for patriotism, which everyone looks back on fondly, (like so many other countries making a grab for super-power) or they're just trying to sell action films internationally. Or both.

This is my theory.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Also, there's no fucking reason for a cannon to not fly back when it fires in a movie. I cannot imagine that it costs so much to hire a guy to pull a rope that such a thing becomes an impossibility.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The Chinese are making an epic movie? What?

I am going to start spitballing a theory here:
    The Chinese, as an autocratic government, are basically mirroring other autocratic governments-- Francisco's Spain especially-- in their choices for making movies. Obviously the Chinese government gives a lot of tax breaks (if not funding) to the movie industry. What they choose to make is primarily "epic" and "historical" features, ones that don't exactly lend themselves to topicality. They're fables, basically. So either they're trying to escape into the legendary past, a past which they draw on for patriotism, which everyone looks back on fondly, (like so many other countries making a grab for super-power) or they're just trying to sell action films internationally. Or both.

This is my theory.

You know too much.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    What I'm saying is that facist Spain bares direct comparison with current communist China.

Except that the Chinese have jobs and industry.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    ALL HAIL THE GENERALISSIMO!

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    That's why I love Del Toro so much. Because he's willing to give fascist Spain no shortage of shit for basically being ruled by one of Hitler's buddies for over thirty years.

That and he makes a real good movie, too.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Veretas wrote: »
    GSM you are gonna be so bored

The boredest

So I like mocking bad movies with friends? We just had an amazing Christmas party where we watched "Starchaser" and had a great time talking over it. It helps that some people in the group have stand-up comedy experience, and one of them is a very talented vocalist who occassionally adds impromptu musical sequences.

But, yeah, maybe that's a few too many spookfilms.

GSM on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Pharezon wrote: »

Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Not dead enough.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I don't know about this Warlords, and I haven't watched Red Cliff yet, but there're probably themes in both that mirror what they're trying to project.

I know Hero was all about eskewing self-righteousness for The Greater Good, but I don't think Hero was directly financed by the Chinese government.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    AMP'd wrote: »
    Pharezon wrote: »

Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead

HE'S JUST WAITING TO COME BACK!

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Hero fucking sucked.

It was the same boring story five times with different colors.

Fuck that movie.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I actually liked Hero quite a bit. I saw why Tarantino put his seal of approval on it.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    That's why I love Del Toro so much. Because he's willing to give fascist Spain no shortage of shit for basically being ruled by one of Hitler's buddies for over thirty years.

That and he makes a real good movie, too.

Apparently, Spanish studios told Del Toro that the guy that ended up playing Vidal is totally wrong for the role and would not be able to pull it off, and that Del Toro doesn't get it because he is Mexican.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Those movies are especially interesting, because I've taken Spanish cinema and Latin American cinema and all of these actors-- who all seem perfect for their roles in Del Toro's movies-- all show up again, and it's completely weird.

But that teacher sucked.

Speaking of which, someone gave a presentation in class about Pan's Labyrinth and all they talked about is contemporary Spanish history. Apparently, completely unaware of where the man was from. It was fairly grating.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Hero fucking sucked.

Fuck that movie.

I was going to make a mean post about Rashomon here, but the difference is that one of those is not a boring movie

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I saw Del Toro kiss a baby.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    AMP'd wrote: »
    Hero fucking sucked.

Fuck that movie.

I was going to make a mean post about Rashomon here, but the difference is that one of those is not a boring movie

Hero taught me that there was such a thing as too many fight sequences.
    I don't remember any characters, beyond art direction.

GSM on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    The fight scenes weren't even any good. It was just a bunch of people floating around for ten minutes and then ping pong with a drop of water.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'm not a connoisseur or anything here, but I liked it. Especially the overall theme of sacrifice, since it's the antithesis of what pretty much every action-ey movie ever has been.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    I'm not a connoisseur or anything here, but I liked it. Especially the overall theme of sacrifice, since it's the antithesis of what pretty much every action-ey movie ever has been.

Didn't work out all that well for Matrix Revolutions.

GSM on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    No, scores of action movies have involved a heroic sacrifice

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Hero sucked because it required a knowledge of Chinese history that I'm sure many Chinese don't care about and it also simply was not an interesting drama.

Moving on, where are my epic Tartar or Cossack movies?

Who will make these for me?

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Man, Bronson was a Tartar?

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Well, there's Mongol. Haven't seen it yet.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I just want to bring up the fact that I knew Sherlock Holmes was going to be great in the last thread and all I got were horse conventioneers

Also Mongol was fantastic
    It was like Conan the Barbarian only real

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I saw Avatar last night

It was really pretty but goodness me was it ham-handed.

It's like they're planning some kind of shock and awe campaign!

Also I liked how you could tell just how dang morally torn the corporate guy was, because sometimes after approving something horrible he'd look momentarily distraught, or sometimes even turn away and sigh.

He's just so conflicted!

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Oh yeah, Mongol.

Hey, Buster, still want to catch some flicks at the Aero?

Penguin Incarnate on
This discussion has been closed.