As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Owww :( I think I've become allergic to my dog

1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Long story short, we've had a dog for about 2.5 years now. She's a Siberian Husky mix, the first "large" dog I've had. Previously we've owned cocker spaniels pretty much exclusively. Mishka (dog) sheds a couple times a year and I brush it out, but fur still gets everywhere, so we have to vacuum weekly. That's fine with us, but the other problem is she gets on the bed while we're gone, fur gets on the blankets/sheets, and we sleep under that. I'm about to get our down comforter cleaned, but I think the damage is already done.

For the past month, I've been sort of sick. I was definitely sick with a cold/flu type thing the first week of Dec.
The second week I felt a little better. Third week a little better. Last week, I started feeling a little sick though, waking up with a dry/scratchy throat, phlegm, and a stuffed nose.

The real dealbreaker (I figured it would pass) is this massive headache I've had in the past couple days. I never get headaches (or migraines, except for an ocular one 2 months ago) so this is unusual, especially one lasting this long. The pain seems to be situated right above and behind my eyebrows. I think it's where the sinuses are. Rubbing them doesn't help much, but my nose clears up when I get out of the apartment and off to work.

Being sunday, my general practitioner is closed. I'll probably go in Tuesday morning (can't make it tomorrow morning, no sick hours left and I need the money) and get looked over, but I've heard people can become allergic to pets after years of owning them. Has this happened to anyone else?

1ddqd on

• Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It's pretty rare to develop an allergy after such a long time but sure, it happens.

What I'm thinking is you've got a good old fashioned sinus infection, because I've never heard of anyone reacting to allergies with headaches. Sinus infections usually takes a couple of weeks of your nose being stuffed to develop.

Why not go tomorrow and by some cheap over the counter antihistamines and see if they have any effect on your nose?

Movitz on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Movitz wrote: »
    Why not go tomorrow and by some cheap over the counter antihistamines and see if they have any effect on your nose?

I might do that - I tried some Zirtec(sp?) the other day, didn't do much as I kept sneezing, but I'm not sure if the headache pre- or succeeded that.

Any recommendations for brands to try?

1ddqd on
  • Options
    Acebgd12Acebgd12 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm allergic to cats, grass, all molds...pretty much everything, and using Alavert has helped me the most besides getting allergy shots. It doesn't leave me as drowsy as the other choices, and it actually works for me, unlike Claritin and Benadryl.

Acebgd12 on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    1ddqd wrote: »
    Movitz wrote: »

I might do that - I tried some Zirtec(sp?) the other day, didn't do much as I kept sneezing, but I'm not sure if the headache pre- or succeeded that.

Any recommendations for brands to try?

The thing with many allergy medications like Claritin, Allegra and Zertec is that you have to keep taking them for a couple days/weeks before you really feel the benefits. If you want a quick antihistamine you should try Benadryl but honestly this doesn't sound like allergies, it sounds like you have really dry sinuses. I get symptoms like this a lot during the winter because the humidity is so low and some saline nasal spray and a humidifier make a huge difference.

Usagi on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Going to be buying a humidifier and air purifier in the next couple weeks anyways. I did a little more digging and the knee-jerk reaction may have been blaming the fur. It appears it may be either dry sinuses or a sinus infection (with the headache, I would be apt to point only at that lol). I took a couple advil and had some healthy food, I feel a lot better, but the nose is still stuffed up/runny.

I've been blowing my nose all morning and the rate at which I can produce mucus is astounding. Perhaps I've been exposed to some radioactive material and I'll be able to lend my talents to crime-fighting?

1ddqd on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, sinus infections this time of year can be a pain the ass, I get them several times a year unfortunately. Run over to the drugstore and get some pseudoephedrine decongestant (the stuff behind the pharmacy counter) and some Mucinex. You'll cough/sneeze up some gross stuff for a couple hours but after that you'll feel so much better.

Usagi on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Already have some Mucinex, I'll dose up tonight and report back tomorrow

1ddqd on