As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Do we really need the TSA anymore? Have we EVER?

HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration ThreadCentrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
EDIT ON 01/06/10 - This thread is suitable to the discussion of the specific event of the crotch bomber as well as all future incidents and news on the TSA.

There's an article up on Gizmodo titled President Obama, It's Time to Fire the TSA.
Today, DHS's Napolitano's response to the crotchbomber: "We're looking to make sure that this sort of incident cannot recur." But the TSA's response to Abdulmutalib's attempt makes one thing clear: We must stop pretending the TSA is making us safer.

Security expert Bruce Schneier nails the core incompetency: "For years I've been saying 'Only two things have made flying safer [since 9/11]: the reinforcement of cockpit doors, and the fact that passengers know now to resist hijackers.'"

So what has the TSA done in response to the attempted attack? They've told airlines to make passengers stay in their seats during the last hour of flight. They've made it verboten for passengers to hold anything in their laps, again only during the last hour of flight. Perhaps most hilariously telling, they've forbidden pilots from announcing when a plane is flying over certain cities and landmarks.

There is no other way to interpret it: The TSA is saying clearly that they can't prevent terrorists from getting explosives on airplanes, but by god, they'll make sure those planes only explode when the TSA says it's okay.

I want our government to prevent terrorism and to make flights safer. But we are spending billions of dollars and man-hours to fight a threat that is less likely to kill a traveler than being struck by lightning. In the last decade, according to statistician Nate Silver, there has been "one terrorist incident per 11,569,297,667 miles flown [the] equivalent to 1,459,664 trips around the diameter of the Earth, 24,218 round trips to the Moon, or two round trips to Neptune." (Sadly, this does mean that in the future we can expect one out of every two round-trip flights to Neptune to be hijacked.)

The TSA isn't saving lives. We, the passengers, are saving our own. Since its inception, the TSA has been structured in such a way as to prevent specific terror scenarios, attempting to disrupt a handful of insanely specific tactics, while continuing to disenfranchise and demoralize the citizens who are actually doing the work that a billion-dollar government agency—an agency that received an additional $128 million just this year for new checkpoint explosive screening technology—has failed to do.

We just had the first legitimate attempted attack in years, and the TSA changes the threat level from orange...to orange.

This goes far beyond simple customer satisfaction issues like "Take Back Takeoff." (Although they are of a kind.) It has to do with wildly irrationally response of a government agency in the face of failure. An agency whose leader, Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano, said at first blush that the attempted attack showed that—here comes the Katrina-class foot-in-mouth—"the system worked." (She shoveled shit in her mouth this morning, while still talking up the asinine new measures that the TSA will be taking to respond to this isolated threat.)

I don't want to die on an airplane. I don't want to die in my home while eating an organic bagel infested with parasites that lay eggs on my liver. I don't want to die from starvation or bad water or a thousand other things that I pay our government to monitor and regulate.

But I also don't expect the government to protect from the literally endless possibilities and threats that could occur at any point to end my life or the life of the few I love. It's been nearly a decade since terrorists used airplanes to attack our country, and last week's attempt makes it clear that the lack of terrorist attacks have nothing to do with the increasing gauntlet of whirring machines, friskings, and arbitrary bureaucratic provisions, but simply that for the most part, there just aren't that many terrorists trying to blow up planes. Because god knows if there were, the TSA isn't capable of stopping them. We're just one bad burrito away from the TSA forcing passengers to choke back an Imodium and a Xanax before being hogtied to our seats.

President Obama, don't let this attack—this one attack that was thankfully stopped by smart, fearless passengers and airline staff—take us further in the wrong direction. I don't think I'm alone in feeling this way. Americans of all stripes and affiliation standing up to say, "This isn't working. We gave you our money. You're not making us safer." We appreciate the attempt to make us safer and acknowledge that it came from an honest attempt to protect American (and the rest of the world's) lives.

But it's a failure. It's wrongheaded. It's a farce. Tear it down. Put the money towards the sort of actions at which our government excels, like intelligence. The failure of the TSA leaves us no choice, but it's okay. The American people are ready to take back the responsibility for our own safety. Really, we already have.

The bolded bit is the action the TSA is taking in response to the attack that attempted to set fire to a plane. Which is to, for the final hour of a flight, make passengers stay in their seats and have nothing in their laps.

At this point, the entire idea of the TSA is a goddamn joke. A single failure of prevention would've been one thing, but everyone knows fake bomb tests have made it through undetected so the TSA failing a real world scenario isn't excusable. The response is a goddamn joke though. Unfortunately I don't see the TSA being brought up this term, maybe even by this president. It'd certainly be admirable but the amount of shit he'd catch for helping terrorism would be a headache.

Henroid on

• Options
    ClipseClipse Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The phrasing of the title seems to suggest they served a purpose at some point in the past. They didn't.

Clipse on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Clipse wrote: »
    The phrasing of the title seems to suggest they served a purpose at some point in the past. They didn't.

You are absolutely right, I have amended the title.

Henroid on
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    I would be so happy if the TSA were gone.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    When a dude with a bomb enters an airport the system has already failed and that's not really the TSA's fault. Otherwise, yeah they should probably exist. Just not with all the idiotic regulations that we have which do nothing to make people more safe just more annoyed. Airports, train stations, ports et. al. need some form of security personnel and having them be feds rather than rentacops, or putting more of a burden on local police, doesn't seem like that horrible of an idea.

moniker on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    When a dude with a bomb enters an airport the system has already failed and that's not really the TSA's fault. Otherwise, yeah they should probably exist. Just not with all the idiotic regulations that we have which do nothing to make people more safe just more annoyed. Airports, train stations, ports et. al. need some form of security personnel and having them be feds rather than rentacops, or putting more of a burden on local police, doesn't seem like that horrible of an idea.

This.

We need the TSA.

We just need them to not be fucking retarded.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    mcdermott wrote: »

This.

We need the TSA.

We just need them to not be fucking retarded.

Indeed.

The problem with new TSA regulations is that they seem to always just be coming up with things that would have prevented the LAST attack, and never looking forward to what might prevent the next one.

A guy ALREADY tried to light his shoe on fire. No one intelligent enough to get away with it is ever going to try that again, because they know that people are watching for it. You don't have to focus on everyone's shoes.

Not being allowed to have anything in your lap for the last hour of a flight seems like it's reaching undue burden territory.

Evander on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Clipse wrote: »

Yes and no. Some of the basic stuff and checked baggage screening does help. If you'll notice, none of the suicide bombs that have gotten past security have actually worked. I have a feeling the tricks they have to use to defeat security make it harder to re-assemble the bomb. If they could get it through intact, like they used to do with checked luggage, it'd be a lot easier.

Buuuut 99% of that is just the basic security stuff they were doing prior to 9/11. Most of the added crap doesn't help all that much.

re: the "let passengers do it" idea: Remember that with this flight the thing WENT OFF before anyone noticed. The passengers failed just as hard as the rest of the system!

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    what are the honest chances that tsa would ever be reformed or dismantled into its useful bits? I cannot for the life of me think of a institution like it that has actually improved itself after a (series of) major fuck up(s). fema... maybe? Im not holding out hope.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

"idiotic regulations" is pretty much all the TSA does. That's also pretty much all it can do, without violating people's constitutional rights, or making air travel ridiculously slow and expensive.

How many people died on 9/11? 2000? With the billions of dollars we've spent on the TSA, we probably could have saved that many lives, by spending it on human aid instead.

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Out of curiosity, why does it matter if the plane is in the last hour of flight or not?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, why does it matter if the plane is in the last hour of flight or not?

If you're going to hijack it and crash it into a building, that's the logical time. If you do it too soon, someone's going to realize what's up and they'll shoot down the plane.

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Also, the TSA has been pretty easy to circumvent since forever. I've flown back from mexico twice since 9/11, and both times the security checking has been completely laughable. So intercontinental flights are one option.

Also, if you did want to bring something liquid and above regulated volume onto a plane in your carry on, all you apparently have to do is slap a prescription sticker on the bottle.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Pi-r8 wrote: »

If you're going to hijack it and crash it into a building, that's the logical time. If you do it too soon, someone's going to realize what's up and they'll shoot down the plane.

I guess this makes sense. It seems like it would be pretty trivial to choose a flight going somewhere other than your intended target to hijack, though. It would just have to be flying sort of near whatever you wanted to blow up at some point.

Do planes' flight paths change that much either prior to takeoff or during flight? I had it in my head that they change quite a bit but maybe that's wrong.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

So much this.

The TSA should be a federal organization with hiring and training standards on par with the FBI. Rentacops who hate their job aren't going to cut it if we want to be serious at all about security in the public transportation sector. Federally trained security personnel, annual inspections and random airport security drills all seem like ideas that should be employed. The problem is, of course, logistics. I don't know how many people the TSA employs, but with all the airports we have I'm sure it is somewhere in the metric fucktons. Overhauling the TSA with that kind of training doesn't come quick or easy, and it is sure to be a pain to airlines and passengers in the beginning.

Also, more of these in lieu of metal detectors please.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

"idiotic regulations" is pretty much all the TSA does. That's also pretty much all it can do, without violating people's constitutional rights, or making air travel ridiculously slow and expensive.

I saw this article on Reddit, and I feel like it's pretty relevant. Just chalk up the TSA to those needless costs in the "War on Terror."

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    is this actually happening though? people putting away their books and ipods and no one uses the bathroom?

Sam on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    ph blake wrote: »

So much this.

The TSA should be a federal organization with hiring and training standards on par with the FBI. Rentacops who hate their job aren't going to cut it if we want to be serious at all about security in the public transportation sector. Federally trained security personnel, annual inspections and random airport security drills all seem like ideas that should be employed. The problem is, of course, logistics. I don't know how many people the TSA employs, but with all the airports we have I'm sure it is somewhere in the metric fucktons. Overhauling the TSA with that kind of training doesn't come quick or easy, and it is sure to be a pain to airlines and passengers in the beginning.

Also, more of these in lieu of metal detectors please.

you really think we need crack field agents in order to wave people through metal detactors and make sure their liquids weigh less than 3 ounces? I really doubt it's even possible to FIND that many FBI-caliber agents, much less pay them all.

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    to be completely blunt, exactly two things have happened since 9/11 to make air travel safer

1) Reinforced cockpit doors

2) The fact that a plan full of people is going to stop someone from hijacking the plan, even if a few of them die doing it

the rest is all just smoke and mirrors giving the ignorant the illusion of security

ronzo on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'd like to know how much explosive they think someone can fit in a shoe. And that if I can fit that in a shoe, why couldn't I fit it in a laptop, a hand bag, or any other item with slightly thick component.

Also, how many possible liquid explosives are there that we couldn't get people to do something simple like splash a drop on something to prove it's water. You know, given the fact that I've carried 700mL water bottles, full of water, through airport security without realizing it on internal flights and all.

I mean shit, according to Burn Notice if I could get a bunch of styrofoam and cornflower aboard, I'd have a pretty god damn lethal incendiary explosive if I could light it.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    look up how much explosive power a standard lithium laptop battery has

hint: a lot

ronzo on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    ronzo wrote: »

I know. Why terrorists haven't tried this yet I do not know.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Because successfully pulling off a terrorist attack involves more than just a dude with an idea somewhere. Hell, wasn't there an SE thread where people came up with the worst possible terrorist attack scenario completely fucking over large swathes of the US which came up with some rather simple but horrific possibilities?

moniker on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

There's probably thousands of ways to commit an act of terrorism on a commercial airline. However, they all require at least one person to act as a suicide bomber, as well as several others to coordinate with him. There's just not many people in the world that are willing and able to do that.

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

There's probably thousands of ways to commit an act of terrorism on a commercial airline. However, they all require at least one person to act as a suicide bomber, as well as several others to coordinate with him. There's just not many people in the world that are willing and able to do that.

It's the basic idea that someone who wants it bad enough will do and will find a way to do it. Nothing sort of flying naked strapped full body into your seat will fully prevent someone smart and insane enough

ronzo on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

I know this. The thing is, presumably when planning these types of things you research how you'll do it. Is there something fundamental about batteries which means they won't work, or what's the deal?

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    QliphothQliphoth Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

I know this. The thing is, presumably when planning these types of things you research how you'll do it. Is there something fundamental about batteries which means they won't work, or what's the deal?

The guys that are willing to blow themselves up for an ideology generally aren't the sharpest tools in the shed. If they were the types to thoroughly research things before they undertook them then they wouldn't be in the situation to begin with.

Qliphoth on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

What exactly is the advantage of blowing up a plane compared to an office building or a subway? 9-11 was devastating because they used the planes as bombs, but since passengers now won't allow a hijacking I don't see the advantage to actually blowing up a plane over any number of other targets.

khain on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Qliphoth wrote: »

The guys that are willing to blow themselves up for an ideology generally aren't the sharpest tools in the shed. If they were the types to thoroughly research things before they undertook them then they wouldn't be in the situation to begin with.
    He is the son of the recently retired Chairman of First Bank of Nigeria, Dr. Umaru Abdul Mutallab. The Al-Qaida-linked Abdul Farouk Abdulmutallab is an engineering student at University College London. Saharareporters sources have revealed that prior to his sojourn in the UK, Farouk had studied at the prestigious British School of Lome, Togo. Where he passed his International Bacchalaureates Diploma before moving to UCL.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    khain wrote: »

What exactly is the advantage of blowing up a plane compared to an office building or a subway? 9-11 was devastating because they used the planes as bombs, but since passengers now won't allow a hijacking I don't see the advantage to actually blowing up a plane over any number of other targets.

Planes have anywhere from 50 to 600 people in an environment where they are all guaranteed to die if it is rendered less then flightworthy in a substantial way.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    passengers now won't allow a hijacking

Why do you believe this to be true?

9/11 wasn't the first reported case of hijacking either, after all.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Evander wrote: »

It was the first time the hijacking involved crashing the planes into something.

Before that, if you were hijacked you cooperated, waited for them to land and then either be talked down or the plane stormed and the terrorists put down.

9/11's big change was that that dynamic is now gone - if someone tries to hijack a plane, either you fight back or die without ever landing.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

It was the first suicidal hijacking. Before that it just meant you were going to Cuba or being held hostage for random prisoner dudes to be released.

moniker on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    One of the 9/11 planes went down short of the target because the passengers found out about what happened to the other ones.

I know if I'm on a plane that's getting hijacked, I'm at least attempting to take the hijackers out regardless of outcome.

override367 on
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

It was the first time the hijacking involved crashing the planes into something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_France_Flight_8969

First time it was actually pulled off, more like.

zeeny on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'd like to know how much explosive they think someone can fit in a shoe. And that if I can fit that in a shoe, why couldn't I fit it in a laptop, a hand bag, or any other item with slightly thick component.

Also, how many possible liquid explosives are there that we couldn't get people to do something simple like splash a drop on something to prove it's water. You know, given the fact that I've carried 700mL water bottles, full of water, through airport security without realizing it on internal flights and all.

I mean shit, according to Burn Notice if I could get a bunch of styrofoam and cornflower aboard, I'd have a pretty god damn lethal incendiary explosive if I could light it.

Things like laptops go through the security screening process, though.

The problem is that prior to Richard Reid's brilliant plan, shoes did not. They went only through the metal detector (and often weren't really being scanned by that).

The whole thing is still pretty silly, but there is theoretically a reason for it. It's only, like, 90% "security theater."

The liquid thing is silly as all fuck, though. Unless you're actually patting down a significant portion of your fliers, or have the "sniffers" at all airports, it's a waste of time. It's trivial to hid much more than 3 oz. of liquid on your person.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    mcdermott wrote: »

Things like laptops go through the security screening process, though.

I've travelled with a laptop 100 times and I've had it go through the screening(with the paper sheets and the explosive traces look up) once. It takes time and when the number of laptops is almost equal to the number of passengers, it's impossible to apply the moment there is a line at the checkpoint.
    The whole thing is still pretty silly, but there is theoretically a reason for it. It's only, like, 90% "security theater."

The liquid thing is silly as all fuck, though. Unless you're actually patting down a significant portion of your fliers, or have the "sniffers" at all airports, it's a waste of time. It's trivial to hid much more than 3 oz. of liquid on your person.

I'd go with 99.98% security theatre. The whole fight against terrorist activity is irrational, inconvenient and wasteful. TSA is like the champion of those.

zeeny on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Where not the 9/11 fligths cross country flights hijacked soon after take off? It depends on where the target is really. Hijacking a flight outta JFK would be best if you are going to hit New York.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This incident made me wonder about something: how much damage would this guy have been able to do even if he was "successful"? Would he had been even able to crash the plane or depressurize it with the amount of explosives he was able to sneak on the plane? Or would he have just taken out a couple of people next to him?

Anyways, I can see the point of having a TSA, so you have a federal security program for airlines to prevent the low hanging fruit attack attempts that would be easy to stop. They do seem to be rather mired in bullshit security theater though, and a lot of the stuff they do doesn't really make you much safer. However, fixing it might be a bit of a problem due to the strength of the paranoia bloc in US politics.

Savant on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    he had enough to blow a hole in the side of the plane. from there the fire could've possibly spread to the wings and maybe the engine but that would've been bonus points. the objective was to blow a hole open and depressurize the cabin.

Sam on
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Sam wrote: »
    he had enough to blow a hole in the side of the plane. from there the fire could've possibly spread to the wings and maybe the engine but that would've been bonus points. the objective was to blow a hole open and depressurize the cabin.

Didn't he do it when they were at relatively low altitude? Wouldn't depressurizing the cabin cause more trouble at a high altitude where the air is thinner? Maybe if it would cause the pilot to lose control I could see the point of that so he could cause a crash, but it seems like he would try to aim for a bit more than just depressurization at low altitude.

Savant on