As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Staying "Smart"

GuffreyGuffrey Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I've been out of college for almost two years now. While routine "busywork" bored the hell out of me, Im starting to realize I miss really working my mind. Oddly enough, I realized this while helping my wife with her science homework. Currently I lack the time or money to start taking college classes for this purpose, so Im looking for another way. I've downloaded some puzzle games for the iphone, but Im looking for more. Preferably a book along these lines:

-subject matter something science related. I'm really wanting medical, but other subjects (like astronomy) are welcome.

-I'd like it to be informative enough to really teach me something, but without the expense (and usual dryness) of textbooks. In fact, I'd be willing to compromise on the dryness, but I don't have a lot of money to sink into this.

But any other ideas are welcome

Guffrey on

• Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    What about a project? Just something you can do in your spare time?

Create a puzzle game.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Watch Nova Science Now on PBS, Neil deGrasse Tyson does an acceptable job of taking up Carl Sagan's legacy. Read some of Sagan's books or get Cosmos, Steven Hawking's books are good too.

L|ama on
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Passion Of The Western Mind

Guns Germs and Steel

The Demon Haunted World

A Brief History of Time

Start with these, they should keep you going for a good while. Anything else by any of the authors there are awesome too.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    One thing you might want to try other than reading to keep your mind limber... Learn a new programming language. If you want a good way to flex the muscles as you learn it, try this:

http://projecteuler.net/index.php?section=about

I felt the same thing recently... I started studying Python and I've done a couple of the basic problems on here, and it's stimulating the part of the brain I've missed since I got out of college.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Speaking of which a new people language would be good too, and could give you some help for holidaying somewhere else in the future.

L|ama on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    dispatch.o wrote: »

Guns Germs and Steel

The Demon Haunted World

A Brief History of Time

Start with these, they should keep you going for a good while. Anything else by any of the authors there are awesome too.

Avoid Guns Germs and Steel, the academic opinion is that it's a complete and utter load of bullshit.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It seems to me the best thing to keep your mind sharp, for anyone at any stage in life, is to learn new skills. Difficult ones.

Pick up an instrument, try painting, learn a new language.

There is I feel a substantial difference between the kind of intelligence you gain from absorbing knowledge through a book and actually learning practical skills firsthand.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2009
    When I start to feel like this (although now that I'm back in college all I want to do with my free time is veg), I pick up a book. If picking up a book isn't for you, and none of the other things above strike your fancy, maybe try building something. Setting out to make something and putting in the time and effort to make it come out perfect to the last detail, even if it's a more hands-on project, can be extremely satisfying and can actually be quite mentally taxing as well.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You can find a large number of college and uni level textbooks from various disciplines on google books for free, or with atleast large sections and only certain chapters removed. It's what I tell most of my friends if they're interested in reading artist writing, theory and critiques since I'm a fine arts fag. I'm sure there would be a large number of science related work on there as well.

Or if you know kids currently going to school, and their campus has some sort of online library, or online access to peer reviewed articles and scientific journals, those usually let you save the material in txt or pdf, or even forward it to an email address.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    There's also a science news thread in SE++ that alternates between interesting news and inane rambling (it's what we do).

L|ama on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Guns Germs and Steel

The Demon Haunted World

A Brief History of Time

Also

Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid

Physics of the Impossible: A Scientific Exploration into the World of Phasers, Force Fields, Teleportation, and Time Travel

QED - The Strange Theory of Light and Matter

Relativity: The Special and the General Theory

Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex

Salt: A World History

and you also might consider volunteering your time with the Boy/Girl Scouts or at a local science museum, they're always looking for people interested in helping out

Usagi on
  • Options
    LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Guffrey wrote: »

-subject matter something science related. I'm really wanting medical, but other subjects (like astronomy) are welcome.

-I'd like it to be informative enough to really teach me something, but without the expense (and usual dryness) of textbooks. In fact, I'd be willing to compromise on the dryness, but I don't have a lot of money to sink into this.

Medically, it depends on how well versed you are in the human anatomy/physiology and molecular biology. The New England Journal of Medicine is a good place with good medical/clinical reads.
    If you're looking for a good read, I'd recommend books by Atal Gawanda; Better and A surgeons Note on an Imperfect Science. It's not really science informative, but healthcare related.

I mean, honestly, I don't think you're going to find reads that aren't textbooks that are medically related. I can say Toxicology/Pharmacology books are great reads because they discuss some of the fundamentals of the human body while showing how it's pertinent to the environment we're in. And by environment I mean toxins/drugs/etc. It's heavy on information but it's always interesting/informative and the information isn't necessarily boring and drab.

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Usagi wrote: »

I'll also add
    The Drunkard's Walk: How Randomness Rules Our Lives

The Selfish Gene

Books by Oliver Sacks, such as Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain.

There are also some good podcasts out there, like The Skeptic's Guide to the Universe, or This Week in Science. Also, check some blogs out there. There are some decent blogs that also include reading lists, or book of the month type deals (where they recommend a book, not necessarily giving a deal on a book).

Dalboz on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Usagi on
  • Options
    GuffreyGuffrey Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Wow, lots of responses. I'm going to try to give some more info based on what everyone has suggested.

First of all, I'll be looking over all the books everyone has linked. Some I already have, but I should be getting some late Christmas money soon, so I'll be open to getting some more. Specifically I saw the comment on the medical books. I've done some more searching myself, and you're right, its pretty much all expensive textbooks. But I'll have to check out the journals, and another poster's advice about google books.

As for a practical skill/building something/volunteering. I've picked up the guitar again, but its all a matter of having time to practice. A book is nice for a lunch break at work, when bringing in a guitar is not as easy. In addition to guitar my best friend and I formed a "band" (aka make stupid songs, which is also a great reason to practice guitar), so I'd say thats my project right now.

And finally I hadnt even thought of looking at blogs, I will check all those out as well. Thanks for all the advice, and please make sure to mention anything else you've got!

Guffrey on
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I got the same itch and i decided to try and get some certs so i can advance in my IT department. I've been given low level projects to do, but i realized that i need to beef up on my knowledge. i just got a kindle for christmas so i downloaded a bunch of training manuals and am reading through them in my downtime. it feels good to learn stuff.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    There's also definite advantages to not being forced into it in a college schedule.

L|ama on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Guns Germs and Steel

The Demon Haunted World

A Brief History of Time

Avoid Guns Germs and Steel, the academic opinion is that it's a complete and utter load of bullshit.

do you have any more info about this? I liked that book.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Something I have concluded in the time I've been out of undergrad is that just reading interesting things isn't enough to continue to "feel smart." You really need to talk to people about what you're reading.

Toward this end I would encourage you find a book club that shares your interests, or start going to toastmasters, or find some public policy outfit to volunteer with, etc.

My dad gave me a subscription to the Nation last year (this is how liberal my family is), and he talked me into going to their monthly discussion group. Mostly it's old liberals complaining about things, but being able to bounce ideas around in that kind of environment is a lot more important than just reading interesting things.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    TakTak Registered User new member
    edited December 2009
    Although this isn't really science'y, but I hear that Sudoku keeps the mind running and "in shape."

Tak on
    PotatoLoaf.png
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Guns Germs and Steel

The Demon Haunted World

A Brief History of Time

It's also drier than the Atacoma.

I'd say learn a new language.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Going to throw out RadioLab podcasts as brain-titillating.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    EskimoDave wrote: »

or a musical instrument

Usagi on
  • Options
    RhinoRhino TheRhinLOL Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Just learn something new.

Language, Math, music, etc.

For $30 and an amazon account your possibilities are limitless.

Also, make sure you DO IT EVERYDAY. Schedule a time, even if it's only 30 minutes a day. I like to do it before work (and before the day wears me down).

Also exercise, cardio. "The owner's manual to the brain" is a good book, read it.

Rhino on
    93mb4.jpg
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Look into the MIT opencourseware?

Marty81 on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »

Guns Germs and Steel

The Demon Haunted World

A Brief History of Time

From what I can gather, a handful of academics accuse the book of having racist overtones, and of not focusing enough on issues of social justice.

They're not challenging the veracity of his evidence or conclusions. It's still a widely taught and respected book.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This kind of thing really doesn't help his case.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    IogaIoga Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Listen to Radiolab.

Ioga on
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Daniel C Dennett - Darwins Dangerous Idea

is my favourite science book

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    kedinik wrote: »

Guns Germs and Steel

The Demon Haunted World

A Brief History of Time

From what I can gather, a handful of academics accuse the book of having racist overtones, and of not focusing enough on issues of social justice.

They're not challenging the veracity of his evidence or conclusions. It's still a widely taught and respected book.

yeah, that's what I had seen before. And the eurocentric charge is sort of silly, since the entire point of the book is to explain why western culture became dominant over so many others

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    jeopardy is on at 7.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    RaekreuRaekreu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Usagi wrote: »
    EskimoDave wrote: »

or a musical instrument

Learning a new language is an excellent way to keep the neurons working. Learning how to play an instrument is a way to break the language barrier AND keep your neurons moving. Failing either of these, I understand that calculus is incredibly stimulating if you can wrap your mind around it.

Raekreu on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Calculus is definitely more conceptual than other common branches of maths, and would be very helpful if you're really interested in astrophysics/astronomy.

L|ama on
  • Options
    billwillbillwill Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Guns Germs and Steel

The Demon Haunted World

A Brief History of Time

yeah, that's what I had seen before. And the eurocentric charge is sort of silly, since the entire point of the book is to explain why western culture became dominant over so many others

Yes, I can assure you that the academic opinion is not that it's a "complete and utter load of bullshit".

Does it have its flaws? Of course. Not everything is 100% correct, but that is to be expected with such an ambitious book.

And I really really really hate to be that guy, but I've taken a handful of upper level anthropology classes here at Columbia, and it is a well respected book.

So yes, OP, read it.

billwill on
    I hate you and you hate me.
  • Options
    RhinoRhino TheRhinLOL Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Marty81 wrote: »
    Look into the MIT opencourseware?

The problem I had with those, is I could never find the syslib and the isbns of the books they used. It's been awhile, but hopefully they include that info now? Also I recall one course had a TON of hand outs (philo class), but were missing from the course ware (I think it was the yale one though). That's the problem with these courses. If they fix those, it'd be a lot better.

Rhino on
    93mb4.jpg
  • Options
    CpgnitionCpgnition Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    TED talks are available on youtube and are regularly updated. The lectures are entertaining, interesting, cover a diverse range of subjects (there is a lot of science), and run 10-25 minutes long. I always feel more intelligent and more well informed after watching one.

A Short History of Nearly Everything is a great book, in my opinion. It starts with the big bang and moves onward to the present, covering all manner of scientific discovery -- and somehow it manages to be very informative without causing boredom.

The Naked Scientist is an interesting science podcast that is updated weekly.

Pharyngula is very interesting, although it is also very atheistic, if that turns you off. Scienceblogs has a lot of other interesting science-related blogs, though.

As mentioned, learning a programming language is very intellectually satisfying. Frustrating at times, but satisfying when it "clicks". Or how about a spoken language? A musical instrument? Chess?

Cpgnition on
  • Options
    CreepyCreepy Tucson, AzRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sorry to necropost, but thanks. Radiolab is a great show!

Creepy on
    Live: Broichan

PSN: Broichan
  • Options
    OverOver ...laser cats? Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    billwill wrote: »

Guns Germs and Steel

The Demon Haunted World

A Brief History of Time

Yes, I can assure you that the academic opinion is not that it's a "complete and utter load of bullshit".

Does it have its flaws? Of course. Not everything is 100% correct, but that is to be expected with such an ambitious book.

And I really really really hate to be that guy, but I've taken a handful of upper level anthropology classes here at Columbia, and it is a well respected book.

So yes, OP, read it.

Glad to see my initial reaction to the first response here is shared.

GG&S is a good read for the ideas and theories it puts forward, but as mentioned, it is a very boring, dry read; Diamond is smart, but he certaintly doesn't write for enjoyable, engaging reading.

Also a lot of the criticism is that he's overly deterministic, but, IMHO, that's kind of his point behind it.

Over on