As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wii + HDTV = Possible lag? *SOLVED*

GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM!ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey folks

So a few weeks ago we bought a brand new 52" Sony Bravia HDTV. It's gorgeous. No complaints at all. Got the blu-ray player, 360, and everything else hooked up. It's working like a dream.

Except for the Wii.

Right now the Wii is plugged into our Pioneer AV receiver using the standard definition cables it came with. So it's running at 480p, or is it 480i? Whatever the standard resolution is. Anyways, we don't have the component cables yet, I will probably pick them up if that will help the issue I'm having.

My brother was first to notice it. He said he felt that games like Trauma Center had some lag to them. I didn't sit and watch, but I imagine he meant with the cursor. And I can kind of attest to that cuz I noticed the cursor was a little more jittery and goofy then usual on the home screen. Then, I got New Super Mario Bros. for Xmas. First thing I noticed was that I felt like the game's controls were a little... off. Slippery. Unresponsive. Just not right. At first I thought "well maybe it's just the game". And I let it slide for a few days. But my brother again made the comment of things not feeling quite right. I again just let it slide, couldn't be that big of an issue right?

Well my friend came over today and we played Super Mario. He'd already rented and beat it, so he's familiar with it. First thing he says is that he feels like there is some definite lag with the controls, and it feels totally off. So this is kinda clueing me in that something's not right.

My question is could this be because of the resolution the Wii is being played at? My Xbox has none of these issues at all. Everything else works splendidly. But the Wii is pretty off. Is this a common issue or is there something else to it? Thanks for the help.

TL;DR: Wii is lagging a bit on an HDtv, is standard AV cables the issue?

GreasyKidsStuff on

• KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Does your TV have a sort of game mode on it? I've seen it where setting that removes the lag. Otherwise I'm assuming your 360 is hooked up by component cables (or hdmi?). If component cables and it doesn't lag, I'd assume doing the same would help the Wii. The resolution isn't going to like bog the Wii down or anything, it really comes down to the response time of the TV.

To be honest, component cables or a game mode may help the issue but it isn't really a guarantee.

Kyanilis on
  • eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Make sure the receiver and TV are both set to gaming mode or to adjust the image as little as possible. Any up-conversion or image stabilization will take a little time which would end up giving you exactly what you're describing.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm fairly certain the 360 is using HDMI cables, it's running at 1080p. I'll see tomorrow if I can try and adjust anything or see what kind of settings it's on, but basically everything was set up by the guys from FutureShop so... we'll see.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • BoredomBoredom Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    Does your TV have a sort of game mode on it? I've seen it where setting that removes the lag. Otherwise I'm assuming your 360 is hooked up by component cables (or hdmi?). If component cables and it doesn't lag, I'd assume doing the same would help the Wii. The resolution isn't going to like bog the Wii down or anything, it really comes down to the response time of the TV.

To be honest, component cables or a game mode may help the issue but it isn't really a guarantee.

This post is correct. The lag is most likely due to the HDTV having to upscale the Wii's output, which is a slow process.

Game mode is something I do not think a Bravia supports (check your manual to be sure) but it essentially reduces the time spent upscaling. This did the trick with my SNES. If your TV has something like this, then this will be the cheapest way to reduce the lag.

Also, switching to component cables and running in 480p solved the problem for my Wii but this solution isn't guaranteed, it all depends on whether your TV can display 480p efficiently enough.

Boredom on
  • EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I notice lag with the balance board on the big rear projection we have.

EskimoDave on
  • illigillig Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    either the receiver or the TV is upscaling the wii signal, and that's likely causing the lag... get the component cables for the wii (they're like $5) and it should run at 480p by default... this will likely stop the need for upscaling

illig on
  • SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Make sure your wii is also set to wide screen, It would attest for some lag as the image would get squished and stretched so horizontal movement would seem faster while vertical movement would seem slower.

Sipex on
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It's already set to widescreen. I'll get the cables and see if it makes any difference.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    MH79 wrote: »
    It's already set to widescreen. I'll get the cables and see if it makes any difference.

Once you get the cables make sure to set the Wii to output in 480p. There's already some lag in your current setup due to the fact that your TV is having to deinterlace the Wii's output. The other factor is that there is going to be some lag because your TV is having to upscale the image from the Wii up to your TV's native resolution, and the "game mode" will help with that and also disable any post processing your TV is doing to make it's picture "better" (which is subjective, but it tends to help with TV and DVDs).

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
    edited January 2010
    I will report back here whenever I get the cables, which will be anytime this next week hopefully, if I can motivate myself.

GreasyKidsStuff on
    edited January 2010
    Super, got some component cables today, plugged it in, and everything looks and runs like magic again. Also found out that the reason why my brother was having cursor issues was the position of the bar, I guess it was too close to the bottom of the TV? Moved it away from the screen and placed it a bit lower, took away the stand. Issues solved. And Mario plays like a dream now. Hoooraaaaaaaaay.

GreasyKidsStuff on
This discussion has been closed.