Options

Steam is a big fat jerk: Get your barf bags ready, Shattered Horizon

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    robothero wrote: »
    I did this solely as a big fuck you to everyone whining about screwing over indy developers.
    The game looks cool, and I wish the developer the best of luck, but like I said, "Pay what you want" means exactly that. I paid what I wanted. My couscous is clean.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The game looks cool, and I wish the developer the best of luck, but like I said, "Pay what you want" means exactly that. I paid what I wanted. My conscious is clean.

If the philosophers of the world were ever able to set aside their differences and unite under the common belief that there exists in this world a single fact the truth of which can be undisputed, the fact that your conscious is clean would be that fact.

Already happened.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited January 2010
    Yes, I saw yours. Mine was better.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Idi Admin

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Speed is always better than quality.

Always.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Always.

I've told this to so many women and they just don't accept it

They're all "look no spellcheck the document properly what am I hiring you for"

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Edcrab wrote: »

Always.

Didn't you end up on one of those "bad ex" sites?

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Quiet you

I have terrible taste in women, it is not a mystery

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    THIS SOUNDS LIKE A STORY THAT I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR

Tube on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

Always.

Didn't you end up on one of those "bad ex" sites?

Is this a story?

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=13113055#post13113055

And a post under it about his fear of oral sex.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Druhim wrote: »
    robothero wrote: »
    I did this solely as a big fuck you to everyone whining about screwing over indy developers.
    The game looks cool, and I wish the developer the best of luck, but like I said, "Pay what you want" means exactly that. I paid what I wanted. My couscous is clean.

nice.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    HeavyVillainHeavyVillain Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=13113055#post13113055

And a post under it about his fear of oral sex.

thats not even the best one

but for the record the comment made her cry so I wonder if she complaned and got it removed

which... doesnt make any sense considering the spirit of the site but whatever

HeavyVillain on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Aneurhythmia I already have V to stick around and talk about my personal life at the worst possible times

But if you're seeking to usurp and permanently replace him I could definitely get behind that.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I once had a girlfriend who gave really bad head and I didn't know what to do about it. I asked my autistic friend (who has not let his condition prevent him from porking bitches) who nodded understandingly and sagely suggested that I stop washing my cock.

Tube on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I once had a girlfriend who gave really bad head and I didn't know what to do about it. I asked my autistic friend (who has not let his condition prevent him from porking bitches) who nodded understandingly and sagely suggested that I stop washing my cock.

Did it work?

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    No :(

Tube on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    gross

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    why would it work?

like, what is the hypothesis based on?

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hey... is it cool if I bring actual information to the discussion?

Because 2D Boy actually posted the results of their "Pay what you want" sale, including information on how Paypal's fees were handled.
    Normally, they keep about 5% of the revenue, but because PayPal fees are structured in a way that they take a larger percentage for smaller transactions, we ended up paying over 13% in transaction fees. For all purchases of around 30 cents and under, we actually saw no money, PayPal took it all, but they probably ended up losing money on most of those transactions ($0.01) as well, they’re not the bad guy.

Now, if we can assume Mr. Purho did any research before doing this sale (and as it was probably inspired by the success of the World of Goo sale), he probably got the same deal as they did with Paypal.

So Smokestacks' dickery probably didn't *hurt* the developer, but did nothing at all to help them either.

Purho would also have seen the graph breaking down the number of sales by price point, and likely knew what to expect in terms of how many people would take advantage of the sale versus how many people paid what they honestly thought it would be worth.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    No :(

Bah, pity

In my case I had the bright idea of telling her that my foreskin hurt so, hey, she should leave it alone but nope she decided that she should get to work and "soothe" it

If I'd had any brainpower I should've maybe... you know. Said something.

But to be fair that was the least of our worries

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    why would it work?

what? really?

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Fearghaill wrote: »

Because 2D Boy actually posted the results of their "Pay what you want" sale, including information on how Paypal's fees were handled.
    Normally, they keep about 5% of the revenue, but because PayPal fees are structured in a way that they take a larger percentage for smaller transactions, we ended up paying over 13% in transaction fees. For all purchases of around 30 cents and under, we actually saw no money, PayPal took it all, but they probably ended up losing money on most of those transactions ($0.01) as well, they’re not the bad guy.

Now, if we can assume Mr. Purho did any research before doing this sale (and as it was probably inspired by the success of the World of Goo sale), he probably got the same deal as they did with Paypal.

So Smokestacks' dickery probably didn't *hurt* the developer, but did nothing at all to help them either.

Purho would also have seen the graph breaking down the number of sales by price point, and likely knew what to expect in terms of how many people would take advantage of the sale versus how many people paid what they honestly thought it would be worth.

Now that's interesting, but it just makes me ask the question: why don't they impose a minimum payment?

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    Meta T. DustMeta T. Dust Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    How bout a don't know what the fuck you are paying sale, it lists like 6 prices then rolls a die. Might save money or lose a shit ton more then intended.

edcrab it wouldn't be a very good pay what you want sale if they had a minimum, that would be a pay what you want above the minimum sale. which is essentially the same as just putting the game on sale.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    why would it work?

can you honestly not figure this one out

because if so you are unable to succesfully follow the thought processes of my friend with a developmental disability

Tube on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    also the consensus is that smokestacks isn't a dick because he paid a cent for it, he's a dick because of how he so maturely bragged about it with a screencap because he thought he needed to send a big "fuck you" to anyone who disagreed with him

or like Tube said, he's an erudite and brilliant chappie

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Also mother fucker can't spell conscience

Although he could of been referring to Couscous, some type of weird lookin food.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Fearghaill wrote: »

Now that's interesting, but it just makes me ask the question: why don't they impose a minimum payment?

Because people who don't want to pay that minimum will just pirate it anyways, and they at least made a bit of money on every sale over 30 cents.

Also, if you set a minimum, you're declaring what you feel it's worth, rather than leaving it up to the purchaser to decide. They probably wouldn't have got too many people paying more than they did in this case (due to piracy), but probably would have got a number people who'd paid more than that who would pay less.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

he almost spelled couscous correctly

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    How bout a don't know what the fuck you are paying sale, it lists like 6 prices then rolls a die. Might save money or lose a shit ton more then intended.

edcrab it wouldn't be a very good pay what you want sale if they had a minimum, that would be a pay what you want above the minimum sale. which is essentially the same as just putting the game on sale.

Well true it'd be a whole different kind of sale... but when they don't benefit at all when it's 30 cents or less I don't see why they don't impose that lower limit, or flat out let people get it for free

Prices below a certain mark are weird in that I'd bet people would still process it as being really fucking cheap and good value for money even if option (a) 50 cents was fifty times higher than option (b)

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    why would it work?

can you honestly not figure this one out

because if so you are unable to succesfully follow the thought processes of my friend with a developmental disability

that was a total softball and you had to go and take me seriously

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Well true it'd be a whole different kind of sale... but when they don't benefit at all when it's 30 cents or less I don't see why they don't impose that lower limit, or flat out let people get it for free

Prices below a certain mark are weird in that I'd bet people would still process it as being really fucking cheap and good value for money even if option (a) 50 cents was fifty times higher than option (b)

Yeah thats what this whole page was about, but you asked a question that answered itself. Why would you not put a price limit on a pay what you want sale.

Just letting you know thats not how shit works, I don't walk around with a gun saying breathe if you want to die.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Also I swear someone quoted him and it said Couscous, not conscious. Also I covered this, but I was covering it someone actually quoted him saying couscous.

OH DRU while I have you here, apparently you fucking suck really bad at left4dead2.

You were on the losing team when nap or nac was playing their first game, and this person couldn't get out of a spitter's spit. And you lost? to a team literally dragging the torso of someone that shit?

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Yeah thats what this whole page was about, but you asked a question that answered itself. Why would you not put a price limit on a pay what you want sale.

Just letting you know thats not how shit works, I don't walk around with a gun saying breathe if you want to die.

Actually the question I was asking was why even pursue the pay what you want model in the first place when so many of the transactions don't benefit them

It'd be interesting to see how it compares to a more standard sale

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Actually the question I was asking was why even pursue the pay what you want model in the first place when so many of the transactions don't benefit them

It'd be interesting to see how it compares to a more standard sale

It looks like the bro's didn't even know but who gives a shit, we have more pressing matters.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Also I swear someone quoted him and it said Couscous, not conscious. Also I covered this, but I was covering it someone actually quoted him saying couscous.

you stupid cracker, that was me that quoted him and changed it to couscous

goddamn meta

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010

you stupid cracker, that was me that quoted him and changed it to couscous

goddamn meta

WHY YOU DO SUCK AT LEFT 4 DEAD 2

Also its not my fault I don't have access to the original post because I don't read that far into a thread, and when you fucking change what people say, I mistake that for what they fucking said. Sorry your fucking majesty.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Although he could of been referring to Couscous, some type of weird lookin food.

I find this kind of ironic.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    as much as I can't be assed to change writing could of instead of could have, and sometimes type your out of habit instead of youre because I'm not writing.

Nothing will be as hilarious as waking up knowing I am not Burning Organ, every fucking day.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    as much as I can't be assed to change writing could of instead of could have, and sometimes type your out of habit instead of youre because I'm not writing.

Nothing will be as hilarious as waking up knowing I am not Burning Organ, every fucking day.

Don't worry, I also wake up every day knowing I'm not me.

At least until I get to a mirror.

Burning Organ on
This discussion has been closed.