As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New car insurance

muninnmuninn Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So i might be buying a new car this saturday. Operative word is "might".
My current rust bucket is on its last legs, and I wouldnt be trading it in to a dealership during the purchase of the new car, but try to sell if off privately in the meantime.
My question is about car insurance. Will the new car be insured by the dealership for the next few days after the purchase so that I could arrange my own policy, or do I somehow have to set this up before the purchase.

I am confused as to the procedure here.

muninn on

• Options
    NewtonNewton Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Call you insurance company while your doing the paperwork for the new car. They'll add the new car to your policy and then fax proof of insurance to the dealership for you. Dealers don't provide any sort of insurance.

Newton on
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    since you'll temporarily have two cars, you will have to set this up ahead of time with your insurer. This is also a good idea just so you know the costs (and have time to shop around)... this may even alter your new car choice since different cars have surprisingly different insurance rates.

Now, if you are just replacing a car (i.e. you drive in with one, and leave with the other), you might not have to do any pre-checking. Most insurance companies do give you a grace period (a day or two usually) where they will cover a replacement vehicle without being notified about it... this gives you time to drive home and call your agent to switch the cars on the policy.

Overall, i'd definitely recommend shopping around for insurance ahead of time, even if you aren't "required" to.

I'm getting ready to buy a new car and if i do it now and stick with my current insurer, countrywide, i'll pay around $3100/year. If I wait till end of January, and switch to Allstate, i'll pay about $1500/year. Guess which I'm doing :D

illig on
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Thanks! Called the insurer and they stated that I have 30 days to take out policy on my new car since the date of purchase. In the meantime I will shop around and see what is cheaper.

muninn on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Also you probably already know this, but if you're financing the car, the bank will require more than minimum liability coverage.

Deebaser on