As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

360 Controller Stopped Charging

Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my worldRound Rock, TXRegistered User regular
edited January 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Obviously I have a Play and Charge kit. Recently it stopped charging. The controller will still work while plugged in, but the charging light doesn't come on at all and it never holds a charge, even after hours of playing with it. The only relevant thing is that my 1 year old recently had both controller and charge cable in his mouth at different times. Is it the battery? Or something with the controller? I don't have anyone else to try swapping things out with. I'd hate to buy a new charge kit when the problem was the controller, and vice versa. Other than this, the controller seems to work fine.

Sir Carcass on

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The same thing happened to me, the batteries just seem to stop holding charge after a while. Chances are your controller is fine.

Casual on
  • Options
    SpamSpam Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yep, most likely battery is gubbed and controller is fine, I've had same thing happen to me too. Just grab yourself a new play and charge kit or some AA batteries.

Rechargeable batteries are never 100% reliable, and there's always the chance that even if you charge one perfectly every time that it will still fail.

Spam on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I see you can get a replacement battery for about $10, so I'll see about trying that first. Thanks.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    On a similar note, my A button on my Xbox contoller is all gunked up. I'll push it down and it'll stay there for awhile. Any suggestions?

ANTVGM64 on
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This is only my anecdotal evidence, but I don't think the basic "plug and charge" plugs work very well. I thought my two wireless controllers' batteries were busted too, but then I got one of the chargers where you take out the batteries and put them in it and plug that into the wall, and my two battery packs charge just fine now.

riz on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    ANTVGM64 wrote: »
    On a similar note, my A button on my Xbox contoller is all gunked up. I'll push it down and it'll stay there for awhile. Any suggestions?

Try some compressed air or if you're feeling ambitious you could open it up yourself to clean it out. It goes without saying you'll void the warranty and if you don't know what you're doing you'll probably break it more.

Still if you have to get a new pad anyway it's worth a try.

Casual on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    riz wrote: »
    This is only my anecdotal evidence, but I don't think the basic "plug and charge" plugs work very well. I thought my two wireless controllers' batteries were busted too, but then I got one of the chargers where you take out the batteries and put them in it and plug that into the wall, and my two battery packs charge just fine now.

This.

Everyone I know with the Play & Charge kit says they have problems with it actually charging their battery.

This is what you want. It comes with a battery, and you can grab an extra one for $10. It takes a couple of hours to charge.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Figgy wrote: »

This.

Everyone I know with the Play & Charge kit says they have problems with it actually charging their battery.

This is what you want. It comes with a battery, and you can grab an extra one for $10. It takes a couple of hours to charge.

I will add my own anecdotal evidence. Same problem, same solution.
    Get the wall plug in charger.

lunchbox12682 on
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

This.

Fourthed... the quick charge kit solved my issue as well... although after a few years, my 1st battery is finally dying, so i'll need to replace it

illig on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    illig wrote: »

This.

Fourthed... the quick charge kit solved my issue as well... although after a few years, my 1st battery is finally dying, so i'll need to replace it

Wow, thanks. I'd never seen that before. That might be a good solution. I like being able to play while it charges, but I think the plug and charge cable will still power the controller without a battery in it. Will that hurt anything?
    Casual wrote: »

Try some compressed air or if you're feeling ambitious you could open it up yourself to clean it out. It goes without saying you'll void the warranty and if you don't know what you're doing you'll probably break it more.

The only thing is that the controllers seem to use a special screwdriver. The screw heads had some weird star shape with a raised part in the middle. I was going to take mine apart to have a look at it, but didn't get past looking at the screws.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

The only thing is that the controllers seem to use a special screwdriver. The screw heads had some weird star shape with a raised part in the middle. I was going to take mine apart to have a look at it, but didn't get past looking at the screws.

Huh. He's right. Well in that case your options are pretty much limited to buying a new controller. I forgot Microsoft are really weird about letting people see what goes on inside their gadgets.

Casual on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I wonder if the heated Bic pen trick would work? I don't really have one handy to try.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    RaekreuRaekreu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My buddy had heard about the rechargeable packs not working well so he just went ahead and got regular rechargeable batteries instead. It isn't a great solution but it works for him - the Microsoft quick charger works MUCH faster than the charger that came with the batteries he bought. Though he's a total miser that'd rather suffer the inconvenience rather than shell out the extra cash for the better product.

Raekreu on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    on the other hand, you can charge a lot more AA batteries at once than you can controller battery packs

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    RaekreuRaekreu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dyscord wrote: »
    on the other hand, you can charge a lot more AA batteries at once than you can controller battery packs

True, but it takes about 6-8 hours. Not exactly lightning quick. Though I suppose you could always keep a wired controller around to gimp through the waiting period.

Raekreu on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I just have eight AAs that I rotate

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

Huh. He's right. Well in that case your options are pretty much limited to buying a new controller. I forgot Microsoft are really weird about letting people see what goes on inside their gadgets.

You can buy those screwdrivers all over the place.

Edit: and a little more digging reveals that bit is called a "Torx 8."

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    SpamSpam Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

You can buy those screwdrivers all over the place.

Edit: and a little more digging reveals that bit is called a "Torx 8."

A regular torx bit doesn't have the raised pin in the middle though - it needs to be a Torx Security bit

Spam on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    It doesn't matter. I've pulled my controllers apart with a regular Torx bit.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Raekreu wrote: »
    Dyscord wrote: »

True, but it takes about 6-8 hours. Not exactly lightning quick. Though I suppose you could always keep a wired controller around to gimp through the waiting period.

6-8 hours? With my charger-analyzer (will charge four batteries at a time) I can fully charge a normal capacity AA (2000 mAh) in an hour, and the less fancy smart charger will charge them at the same rate.

Rechargeable AA's are also less expensive than extra batteries for the Quick Charge kit, and you can charge enough batteries for four controllers simultaneously with one charger. With the Quick Charge kit you'd have to get another charger or just wait until one set is finished charging.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru